Tasting suggestion

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Tasting suggestion

Post by g-man »

I see people constantly say that the Fonseca/Taylor 1980 / 83 as examples of a bad port, James suckling rated the fonseca 80 a whopping 80 pts for example.

yet, having drunk through a few bottles of each, I find them to be very decent drinking.

I'm curious as to the out come if we were to pair some of the more venerable names from older vintages that scored very highly in a true black glass blind tasting.

I'd be willing to bet the f/t from 80/83 wouldn't come out last.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Tasting suggestion

Post by RAYC »

When they are dismissed as "bad", to a certain extent I think it is usually meant that they are "bad relative to what could be expected from Fonseca/Taylor". I don't think they are ever meant as "RO82 bad". I have only had three of those wines (T80, T83, F83) and each on one occasion only, but would think twice before buying again at current retail prices (though would be interested in the Fonsecas at auction). That said, whilst i didn't think the examples i had were on the upswing, the T80 and F83 made quite a nice drop. Less convinced by T83, but hard to be definitive after only one bottle i suppose.

But the tasting would be interesting - what venerable names would you suggest?

Broadbent has Dow, Graham, Smith Woodhouse and Warre as 4-star (or potential 4-star) wines for 1980. He actually has Taylor as a potential 4-star as well, with Fonseca 3 stars.

He has Calem, Cockburn, Dow, Gould, Graham, Niepoort, Ramos Pinto, Smith Woodhouse and Warre as 4-star (or potential 4-star) wines for 1983. He has Fonseca as 4 star and Taylor as 2 or 3 stars.

To me that suggests a big Symington v Taylor Fladgate early 80s taste off (why not throw in the Croft Roedas from 80 and 83 as well!)
Rob C.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I was thinking something more :twisted: like taking a fonseca /taylor 55 and having it next to the fonseca 80/taylor 80.

If there were no label nor color preconceptions, which one would truly score higher.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

g-man wrote:If there were no label nor color preconceptions
A black-glasses tasting. Danger danger bear!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This is the kind of fun tasting that I would like to take part in - sadly, not likely to be any time soon if the tasting is held in the US :(
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:This is the kind of fun tasting that I would like to take part in - sadly, not likely to be any time soon if the tasting is held in the US :(
thoguth you were swinging by around end of nov / decembeR?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

g-man wrote:
AHB wrote:This is the kind of fun tasting that I would like to take part in - sadly, not likely to be any time soon if the tasting is held in the US :(
thoguth you were swinging by around end of nov / decembeR?
I was.

And then that trip got canned.

Never mind - there'll be another time eventually.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.