NY - October 2011?

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

NY - October 2011?

Post by Zelandakh »

I'm in NY visiting my Bro in late October. Anyone up for a get together? We're already a 4 ball (2 serious porters, 1 newcomer and 1 visitor). No knowledge of the area so have no venue and will need to source stock but would be good if we can arrange.

Post or PM please.
Nick
-----
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: NY - October 2011?

Post by jdaw1 »

g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

i might be travelling to chicago / another offline mid/late october.

post dates when it firms up we can definitely get soemthing together.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

acutually I think i have an interesting line up of warres lbvs bottled in the 80s and 90s
would anyone be interested in doing a line up of warres?
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Zelandakh »

Sorry, not checked in for a while. Sending PM...
Nick
-----
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I should have said: include in that PM a link to this thread.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Hi,
Per my thread in Tastings, I'm making my first trip to NY next month to see my brother and could be up for an offline if there's enough interest. I have no ideas on locations, DifferentDave suggested maybe his place but I'm not sure where that is and gman suggested Warres as a theme.

1. Who - Anyone else up for it? There would be our respective partners who don't really do port but would like to attend and drink wine so there's already 4 people.
2. Where - DifferentDave has suggested his place. Viable?
3. When - A Friday would obviously allow a later night, enough port to make it fun and then taxis home so that would be 28th October for me. Any other suggestions?
4. What - Dinner will be required. Suggestions really need to be made once the venue is set but how about an initial thought of steak for those that do and seafood for those that don't?

Please PM me with any thoughts or reply all and see if this is viable.

Many thanks,
Zelandakh

My house is open too,

if so we can be assured that :
1. we don't run out of port
2. we can drink all night
3. The last few trains that goes straight into 34th street on a saturday is 12:30am 1:30am 2:00am.

A saturday would allow for a bbq in the afternoon also.

If Friday, since I'm coming from work, we would need to work out a restaurant venue.

Please let me know the date as soon as you can as I will be travelling in October.
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

g-man wrote:Hi,
Per my thread in Tastings, I'm making my first trip to NY next month to see my brother and could be up for an offline if there's enough interest. I have no ideas on locations, DifferentDave suggested maybe his place but I'm not sure where that is and gman suggested Warres as a theme.

1. Who - Anyone else up for it? There would be our respective partners who don't really do port but would like to attend and drink wine so there's already 4 people.
2. Where - DifferentDave has suggested his place. Viable?
3. When - A Friday would obviously allow a later night, enough port to make it fun and then taxis home so that would be 28th October for me. Any other suggestions?
4. What - Dinner will be required. Suggestions really need to be made once the venue is set but how about an initial thought of steak for those that do and seafood for those that don't?

Please PM me with any thoughts or reply all and see if this is viable.

Many thanks,
Zelandakh

My house is open too,

if so we can be assured that :
1. we don't run out of port
2. we can drink all night
3. The last few trains that goes straight into 34th street on a saturday is 12:30am 1:30am 2:00am.

A saturday would allow for a bbq in the afternoon also.

If Friday, since I'm coming from work, we would need to work out a restaurant venue.

Please let me know the date as soon as you can as I will be travelling in October.
I do nt get pm's unless sent directly to me (used to prior to...)
While I do live a little further east than gman I am on the grid and have 3 different LIRR stations(farmingdale, cold spring harbor and huntington) within 15 minutes drive of house. My wife doesn't drink and she can drive people to railroad if need be. We can congregate inside or out until wee hours (or at least until LIRR schedule permits).
Due to being semi-retired stay at home dad I can prepare for a Friday evening or Saturday either at house or at restaurant (Huntington has some ofthe best eats on Long Island).
As for running out of port or having wine for the non port drinkers -_-_- if a dent could be made into either of my collections I would be more than shocked and we would be more than hospitalized!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

differentdave wrote:I do nt get pm's unless sent directly to me (used to prior to...)
Fixed: you are undisappeared so back in New York tasters.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

[quote="differentdave]As for running out of port or having wine for the non port drinkers -_-_- if a dent could be made into either of my collections I would be more than shocked and we would be more than hospitalized![/quote]

most likely it'd be because I'd died of tannin poisoning rather than alcohol .
I mean there's only soo much post 1992 port I can drink in a single sitting :wink:
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Zelandakh »

Date would be Friday 28th as we fly out on Saturday 29th.

Venue can be restaurant or other similar venue if they allow port to be brought with us.

I've not been to NY so I don't know the distances involved, if there's a good venue that works for all for the Friday, please can you suggest?

Thanks,
Nick
Nick
-----
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DifferentDave,

what do you think about Uncle jacks on the west side again?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

This conversation has moved to a new thread, Official October 29th - NY Offline: Zelandakh visits.