Squeeze Box / Candy and a Currant Bun

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Squeeze Box / Candy and a Currant Bun

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14540106]Rockers AC/DC launch own label Australian wine range[/url], wrote:Australian rock band AC/DC are joining a growing list of celebrities by launching their own range of wine.

Kiss, The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden and Whitesnake have all brought out their own brand wines as has pop star Madonna.

AC/DC are selling varieties named after some of their biggest hits, including Highway to Hell cabernet sauvignon, Hells Bells sauvignon blanc and You Shook Me All Night Long muscat.

The group have teamed up with Australian winemaker Warburn Estate for the release of AC/DC The Wine.

From Paris Hilton's perfume, JLS condoms to a Kiss coffin, celebrities have spotted the marketing potential in associating their name and image with all manner of products.

The four different bottles will be sold in stores across Australia.

"We wanted to make sure that AC/DC's home fan base could have easy access to their rock icons' wines," said Steve Donohue, general manager of buying for the Woolworths Liquor Group.

Readers are invited to suggest names in this spirit for port, whether ruby, tawny, or other.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Squeeze Box / Candy and a Currant Bun

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:Readers are invited to suggest names in this spirit for port, whether ruby, tawny, or other.
Wow, so many to choose from... ok I'll have a go at this:

Ruby - "Sink the Pink" or "Whole Lotta Rosie"
VP - "Thunderstruck"
Jereboams of VP - "It's a Long Way to the Top"

.... and one extra for champagne - "You shook me all night long" (edit: bugger, just saw they used that for the muscat)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Readers are invited to suggest names in this spirit for port, whether ruby, tawny, or other.
How uncivilized. I will decline the invitation, thank you. Now then, where is my leather armchair, decanter of Sandeman 1908 and cigar cutter? And where's my Ruby Tuesday CD?!?!
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14540106]Rockers AC/DC launch own label Australian wine range[/url], wrote:"We wanted to make sure that AC/DC's home fan base could have easy access to their rock icons' wines," said Steve Donohue, general manager of buying for the Woolworths Liquor Group.
Readers are invited to suggest names in this spirit for port, whether ruby, tawny, or other.
I would like to compliment Mr Donohue on his excellent use of the apostrophe, much to the shame of many on this board (although I have noted we are getting much better...)
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 16:43 Wed 17 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14540106]Rockers AC/DC launch own label Australian wine range[/url], wrote:"We wanted to make sure that AC/DC's home fan base could have easy access to their rock icons' wines," said Steve Donohue, general manager of buying for the Woolworths Liquor Group.
I would like to compliment Mr Donohue on his excellent use of the apostrophe, much to the shame of may on this board (although I have noted we are getting much better...)
Possibly, the story appears to have emanated from the Australian Associated Press - I suppose it depends on whether he gave the quote to them in writing or orally. Either way, I agree it is impressive and better than might have been expected from down under....!
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:Possibly, the story appears to have emanated from the Australian Associated Press - I suppose it depends on whether he gave the quote to them in writing or orally. Either way, I agree it is impressive and better than might have been expected from down under....!
Since we have drifted off topic and not even by my hand do you have evidence that Australians are worse at punctuation than the Brits?
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:
RAYC wrote:Possibly, the story appears to have emanated from the Australian Associated Press - I suppose it depends on whether he gave the quote to them in writing or orally. Either way, I agree it is impressive and better than might have been expected from down under....!
Since we have drifted off topic and not even by my hand do you have evidence that Australians are worse at punctuation than the Brits?
Worse than "Brits"? That implies inclusion of (amongst others) the Scots in the comparison...and I'm not sure I ever suggested that!

But if the official Queensland Teachers' Association guide is anything to go by...

(for the full dispute, including a glorious 41-page critique, see here)
Rob C.