Anybody watching U-20 world cup

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

I sincerly doubt you will find any Portonian on Gods green earth willing to defend anything to do with this situation . . .
A parallel can be drawn when Gretsky was sold to L.A. , who was also past his prime and he was used as a marketing tool . . .
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

This is getting quite funny.

Becks tried to play a game. This was the result.

The Becks Story!!! link

Alan
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Alan , was Beckam the type of player , who , by his work ethic , made the players around him play smarter , such as Gretzky in his prime ?
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

What was he doing with his knee in a block & tackle anyway?
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Luc,

Beckham, in his pomp, was a player I would say, was the icing on the cake. He had World Class crossing ability. Good from dead balls, an exceptional passer and he could run all day.
HOWEVER! If he didn't play in a great team, where others did the ball winning, the closing down, the running back, the confrontations, he was mostly invisible. At United, he had Scholes Keane and Giggs. At Real, they got rid of Makele, and never really replaced him.

Its all opinions, but I just couldn't/can't see him rescuing a struggling US team. He may have made the second or third team 1st, but even to do that, he'd have to play now and again!!!

Alan
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Would you build a team around a Beckam type player ?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Absolutely NOT!!!

If you were a nearly team, or wanted huge publicity, he's your man.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

As far as I'm concerned you should never build a team around one player but if you did it would need to be a central player. That is Centre Back, Centre Midfield, Striker, normally the central midfielder such as Steven Gerrard, Roy Keane, Paul Gascoigne, Glenn Hoddle, even Peter Reid, etc.

Teams based on a wide player like Beckham would be prone to one-sidedness and easily closed down. That's not to say that you cannot build a team around a Beckham, especially as he does cut in to the centre regularly, and if you were to do it Beckham is probably the one you could do it with.

Oh yes, what do you do when your one player is injured? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

David Beckham, when not playing football that day, due to a niggling injury, decides to go horse riding.
Although he has no previous experience, he skillfully mounts the horse and appears in complete control as the horse gallops along at a steady pace.
Victoria watches him admiringly.
After a while, David becomes a little too casual and begins to lose his grip in the saddle. He panics and grabs the horse round it's neck and calls for it to stop.
Victoria screams and shouts for someone to help.
David slips completely out of the saddle and is only saved from hitting the ground because he is still clutching the horse's neck.
David decides his best chance is to leap away, but his foot becomes entangled in the stirrup!
David's head is now banging along the ground and he is slipping into unconsciousness. Victoria is frantic and screaming!

Hearing her screams, one of the Supermarket Security Guards comes out of the store and unplugs the horse.

:D Alan :D
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

The Image of Beckam loosing his grip on a horse in a merry go-round and Victoria franticaly screaming is too much . :lol: :lol:
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I believe the American Soccer season is coming to a close.

Well what a blinding season Becks had! I wish I was as good at predicting the Lotto numbers. :roll:

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Derek T. wrote:OK, if you're getting into predictions ...

4. Scotland to fail at the final hurdle to qualify for Euro 2008, despite a magnificent start beating France and drawing with Italy, by being humped 3-0 by Georgia in the final qualifying match
Unfortunately, my prediction, though being slightly inaccurate, is starting to come true. We did get humped by Georgia (2-0, not 3-0) but the final match is against World Champions, Italy.

Oh dear, this is all too familiar.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Don't worry Derek. All us English will be rooting for Scotland to beat Italy. After all, we know nothing annoys a Scotsman more than an Englishman supporting his own tartan team...

...and if Gordon Brown can support England in the rugby, then I'm sure you can too. After all, he is your prime minister.

88)
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 15:08 Thu 18 Oct 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Stop interrupting me, I'm trying to learn the words of the South African national anthem :lol: :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Let me help:

Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika

Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika
Maluphakanyisw' uphondo lwayo
Yiva imathandazo yethu
Nkosi Sikelela Nkosi Sikelela

Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika
Maluphakanyisw' uphondo lwayo
Yiva imathandazo yethu
Nkosi Sikelela
Thina lusapho lwayo.

Chorus
Yihla moya, yihla moya
Yihla moya oyingcwele
Nkosi Sikelela
Thina lusapho lwayo.
(Repeat)

I shall test you tomorrow afternoon after you have consumed half a bottle of port.

:?

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thanks. You will be impressed with the results. Especially as I plan to do it with the actions of The Haka wearing a kilt :cool:

D
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Derek T. wrote:Thanks. You will be impressed with the results. Especially as I plan to do it with the actions of The Haka wearing a kilt :cool:

D
I was just wondering, what do you think the effects would be on us ordinary folk of all this hazardous drinking at home???
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

High blood pressure and periods of dilusional behaviour.

Why?

D
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Just in case anyone was concerned for my welfare this afternoon, I can reassure you all that Derek did not do the Haka, was not wearing a kilt and did not sing the South African national anthem.

Personally, I don't think he knows the words and it was all bluster by a Scotsman who wants us all to think he doesn't want England to win tomorrow. But we all know the truth really, don't we?

Alex

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Just in case anyone was concerned for my welfare this afternoon, I can reassure you all that Derek did not do the Haka, was not wearing a kilt and did not sing the South African national anthem.
...but, rather unexpectedly, Alex was dressed as a Morris Dancer and sung Swing Low Sweet Chariot whilst jingling his bells and swinging his ribbons as the bar staff looked on in amazement :shock:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

If I was English I would probably have woken up this morning thinking we had been robbed by some very dodgy decisions. But I'm not, so I don't :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I think South Africa deserved the win and had the best team at the tournament. The non-Try was so close with Cueto's toe on the line that nobody could grumble if it had been given or not.
If I was English I would probably have woken up this morning thinking we had been robbed by some very dodgy decisions. But I'm not, so I don't
Maybe because you lost in the Quarter-Final you can afford to be smug - oh hang on, that's not a reason to be smug is it? Or does qualifying for the second round count for something in Scotland?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have 42 years of sporting failure to draw on for my inspiration to mock those who believe they are better than they actually are :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

That's a 'yes' then.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

KillerB wrote:I think South Africa deserved the win and had the best team at the tournament. The non-Try was so close with Cueto's toe on the line that nobody could grumble if it had been given or not.
I'm not complaining about the result, either. It was a close game, I don't think the ref's inconsistencies changed the result of the game although they were irritating in the extreme. In the end, the result was decided by South Africa's better ability not to break the rules when defending in their own half - Lewis Moody tripping a South African as he chased his own kick was a good example of the sheer stupidity that I thought we had got out of our game since the original humiliation at the hands of the 'boks.

I'm delighted England reached the finals after that first game. I'm pleased that they were not humiliated again and I sincerely hope that they can maintain this improved form with the younger players who finished the final and that the Six Nations is a little more enjoyable for the England supporter than has been the case for the last four seasons.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 00:38 Wed 24 Oct 2007, edited 1 time in total.