No passionate Whisky thread here?

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

No passionate Whisky thread here?

Post by Michael M. »

Your're talking a lot about beer although best beer is made in Germany and in the Czech Republic.

But there is no real passionate whisky thread. :shock: :shock: :shock:

What's the reason?
You are having it with your daily cereal so this matter is boring too much?
Your representatives did all order on public expenses so there isn't anything left for the British citizen?
Latterly all whisky goes into Pink Port to find out the ultimate alcopop?

However, in my area there is still some stuff and my favourities are:

Lagavulin 12 years old 110/100 points

Talisker 10 years old 105/100 points

What's your favourite cereal moistener? And why?
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: No passionate Whisky thread here?

Post by KillerB »

Michael M. wrote:Your're talking a lot about beer although best beer is made in Germany and in the Czech Republic.
Careful, you're in danger of being moderated for flaming. :wink:

I have in stock at the moment:

Highland Park 12 yo, smooth, sweet and eminently drinkable;

Glenmorangie 12 yo, bit of a classic, full-flavoured;

Royal Lochnagar 12 yo, incredibly clean and smooth
Port is basically a red drink
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

As 19th August is my late Dad's birthday, I met up with my brother at the centre of the Universe to have a glass of Glenmorangie with the old fella. Smooth and slick, it was one of his favourites so we both let him have a drop of ours. Not sure what the 14 year olds trying to have sneaky fag on the green made of us but then again, as long as we weren't spying on behalf of their mums they probably didn't care.

RIP GCK
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Interesting, Alex.

Highland Park 12 yo sounds delicious. There are also some Whisky boards in this country and many geeks seem to feel for this Single Malt. At 34 EUR (1,0l) available what seems to be a decent price. Unfortunately Lagavulin is more than 40 EUR the normal bottle in Germany and even in France.

KillerB wrote:
Michael M. wrote:Your're talking a lot about beer although best beer is made in Germany and in the Czech Republic.
Careful, you're in danger of being moderated for flaming. :wink:
Oh dear, national feelings affected? So please let me affirm that the UK tradition of drinking tea is surpassing! :wink:

Michael
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I have a bottle of Green Spot Irish Whiskey and a bottle of Maker's Mark in my cabinet, but I'm not really what you'd call a fan of whisk(e)y. I have it on hand more for guests, though I do enjoy it on occasion in a Coke.

A friend offered to buy me a bottle of Midleton for bringing back a large bag of sports equipment for him, but at 135 Euros a bottle I couldn't accept. I did allow him to buy me a glass at a bar on a later trip, though, and it was pretty amazing stuff.
Glenn Elliott
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Glen, I am not whisky geek at all because my knowledge and experience is rather limited. However I am interested in that concern and I occasionally I love that stuff- power and complexity. I remember a holiday in Burgundy. At the face normally one would go for the local wine. But one day there was this Talisker 10 yo (often at a great price in France), evolving beautifully in the glas. I started (against my general habit :mrgreen: ) in the afternoon and without my legendary self-control I would have drained the bottle (almost :mrgreen:) this day.

Michael
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Just been to Morrison's and they are having a whisky sale, by the looks of things. Going on the £20 is darned good for a 12yo whisky and having had both before, I picked up Old Poultenay and The Singleton. Got a 1990 Ledaig for my birthday from sister and bro-in-law. So currently have six bottles of malt in - quite a nice little tasting.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

I had today a pretty frosty job in my garden, cutting and chaffing the cobnut bushes. The banging stove in my bower was quite nice. But in the evening the finish did some glasses of The Macallan 12 years old Single Malt Whisky. This is very delicious lasting heat coming from the inside.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Have a Glenfarclas 10 years old Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky today. Pretty dry style, straight character, gains smoothness while warming up. Not a pleaser but full of character. Enjoyed it while listening Pergolesi 's Stabat Mater from radio4.nl- my favoured radio station.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I've had Glenfarclas in the past but I think it was older than that, I thought 12yo but could be 15. I remember it being a more fruity whisky but the mind withers with age and abuse :?

I suppose this means that I need to revisit certain whiskies after years of neglect.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

KillerB wrote:... but the mind withers with age and abuse :?

I suppose this means that I need to revisit certain whiskies after years of neglect.

Looking forward to that, old man :wink: .
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Finally I purchased last weekend my all time favorite SMW, namely Lagavulin aged 16 years. Peat, sweetness, salt, power and comlexity. Far above every other SMW I had so far. Real elixir.
urotsukidoji
Cheap Ruby

Post by urotsukidoji »

I tend to the Bourbon side of things, and the odd Canadian ...currently on hand:

Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve
Forty Creek Port Wood Reserve (x3)
Maker’s Mark Kentucky Bourbon
Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel
Knob Creek Bourbon
Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whisky
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Woodford Reserve Select
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:I have a bottle of Green Spot Irish Whiskey
urotsukidoji wrote:I tend to the Bourbon side of things, and the odd Canadian ...currently on hand:

Knob Creek Bourbon
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Woodford Reserve Select
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I admit to not dropping in here for over 12 months but surely the above posts are the equivalent of discussing South African (not real) Port in the same context as a Fonseca 63? :x

Should we have a "No passionate drinks-that-are-not-whisky thread here?" thread?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

DRT wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I have a bottle of Green Spot Irish Whiskey
urotsukidoji wrote:I tend to the Bourbon side of things, and the odd Canadian ...currently on hand:

Knob Creek Bourbon
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Woodford Reserve Select
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I admit to not dropping in here for over 12 months but surely the above posts are the equivalent of discussing South African (not real) Port in the same context as a Fonseca 63? :x

Should we have a "No passionate drinks-that-are-not-whisky thread here?" thread?
It's a common error. They don't spot the lack of 'e' and think that we're talking about the same stuff. Whisky and whiskey are different, please also note the use of capital W against small w. I don't like bourbons, anyway, what have biscuits got to do with anything?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I've already demonstrated that I'm well aware of the difference. :roll:
Glenn Elliott
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

All my SM had been gone so I had to order fresh supply. Two bottles to start. It is Ardbeg TEN (1l) and Ardbeg Uigeadail. Although there is not little hype about Ardbeg I am looking very foward to these bottles. Another one in focus is Highland Park 18 years I could purchase at reasonable 48 EUR. I also consider Glenfarclas 105 ( 60 vol.!) and Laphroaig Quarter Cask (a 10 years old). There is an interesting offer from a German dealer composed of 3 Laphroaig SMs in 0,33l bottes as they are Laphroaig 10 yo, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Laphroaig CS 55,7%. I think I will go for that.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I picked up a bottle of Ardbeg Supernova that I just adore. Very sweet and ocean tasting. Really heavy peat. Nice stuff. Outside of a good bottle here and there, I keep a bottle of JW Black stocked and make due.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

A few weeks ago I tried some of the Johnnie Walker range when someone I know was kind enough to share a nice box set of smallish bottles from their range. I’m not really a big whisky drinker, but I was surprised at how drinkable the Blue and Gold labels were; they were some of the first whiskies I have drunk where the alcohol was really well integrated and not overpowering. Quite quaffable really. The drop in quality between the Blue and Gold didn’t seem that great, making the Gold seem pretty good value. The Green label was a bit too hot for my liking.

Not being a whisky drinker, I’m curious as to how are these blended spirits regarded? And are there others in the style of the Blue and Gold (blended or not) which would be worth investigating if I like those?