Who Needs To Detox?

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Who Needs To Detox?

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:Week 7: Friday Night weigh-in = +1lb :crying:

Must do better!!!!!! :x
take the backpack off when you get on the scale :wink: :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

On Saturday I did a 6 mile walk with around 1,200ft ascent.

Today I did 10 miles and 2,000ft in the Peak District.

...a good start to the week. :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:On Saturday I did a 6 mile walk with around 1,200ft ascent.

Very nice!

I got a new gadget because I'm a gadget geek. This one is a Garmin GPS watch/heart rate monitor, which will allegedly help me run better. It tracks all kinds of things and syncs the data with my computer automatically as soon as I get home. If a cute puppy is a "babe magnet" then this thing is a "geek magnet."

For a first test, I took one of our little dogs for a walk on the nearby boardwalk. It runs through a wetlands, so is perfectly flat. The Garmin said I had a total elevation change of 341 feet. Hmm. A little concerned about the accuracy.

Distance was spot on, though, and that's really all I care about. The manual claims that accurate altitude measurements require 5 satellites (really? why not 4?) and on that walk it could apparently only see 4 consistently with a 5th popping up once in a while (yes, it has a GPS status screen, and yes, I spent time watching it), so that's probably why it was so badly off. Simply toggling back and forth from +/- 50 ft to +/- 15 feet several times during the walk could add up to 341 feet rather easily. Add in the 30-40 feet from my house down to the boardwalk and that's probably it.

I used it yesterday for my second weekly 7-mile run, and I must say that it really does help. It is partly just a welcome distraction, but part of it is also knowing just how fast (or in my case, slow) you're running at any given moment. And it's not just speed - since it monitors my heart rate, I can use it to make sure that I stay within the proper heart rate band for optimum training.

Next weekend I'm supposed to do 8 miles, and the following weekend I'm supposed to do 9. Eek!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:If a cute puppy is a "babe magnet" then this thing is a "geek magnet."
Bloody geek! Now I need to buy one :roll:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:If a cute puppy is a "babe magnet" then this thing is a "geek magnet."
Bloody geek! Now I need to buy one :roll:
Garmin Forerunner 310XT w/HRM.

It uses the US-based satellite system, but that one is worldwide so it shouldn't matter. I don't know whether or not they're sold outside of the US and Australia, though. Our government can be rather weird about exporting GPS technology. This despite the fact that there are now 3 active (and 3 planned) GPS systems in the world, 2 of which are world-wide, and the EU's global Galileo system scheduled to come online in 2-3 more years. *sigh*

I want a GPS that can use 'em all. Imagine how accurate a device could be if it were reading the US, Soviet, and EU systems all at once!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yes, they sell that one in the UK, but at £250 I think I'll pass and buy another 63 half bottles of Croft Unfiltered LBV 2004 instead :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Monday: 7-8 miles with moderate undulation.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

This morning I ran 6 miles and my new Garmin told me that I had 355 ft of ascent and 568 ft of descent. One problem - the route was a loop. :roll:

62:22 which is very good for me running alone. For whatever reason I'm faster with a partner or during a race. /shrug

My training program only has me scheduled to run 4 miles tomorrow, so I'm going to go for speed. If I can break 40 minutes by myself that'll be a milestone for me. (Only 4 miles. I remember not so long ago when that route was my long run.)
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:

Monday: 7-8 miles with moderate undulation.
Tuesday: 3 or 4 miles walking in London plus an off-line :roll:
Wednesday: Nothing.
Thursday: Nothing.
Friday: 8 mile walk with moderate undulation. :D

No Friday night weigh-in this week as I am 275 miles away from the official scales. But a much etter week than last week 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Week 8: Weight unknown.

I'm not in Scotland this weekend so had to make the most of what the English countryside has to offer for my main walk of the week. From Edale car park I completed a circular route via Jacob's Ladder, Kinder Low, Brown Knoll, Lord's Seat, Mam Tor, Hollins Cross, Back Tor farm and then back along the road to the car park. After 5 hours , 11 miles and 1,900ft of ascent in a very strong wind I was back at the car with sore knees and feet and my face is now bright red from wind-burn. What a great day out 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm feeling rather beat after this weekend.

Saturday morning was an 8-mile run. We set out just to finish, but somehow maintained a very high pace (for us) for the first 6 miles. Upon seeing how well we were doing, I decided to try to maintain that pace to the finish. My running partner hasn't been running as much as he should so he depleted his energy stores and had to stop at about 7.2 miles. I managed to finish at pace, but it took everything I had. Still, 8 miles at just under a 10:30 pace is excellent.

Foolishly, we then got up at 6:30 am on Sunday morning to run in the St. Patrick's Day Dash in downtown Seattle with 7000+ other lunatics. It is only a 3.85-mile race, but it is a race so of course everyone runs faster than normal. (10:00 pace for me.) We all felt good while we ran, but all of yesterday afternoon was spent napping.

In order to salvage the day, I had to go over to Roy's to try 9 Ports (7 Martinez, 2 Ramos-Pinto) on Sunday night. Thus, an excellent weekend was secured.

Normally today would be a running day for me, but I'm counting yesterday's race instead so that I can try to recover. I think I have discovered that 8 miles requires that I stock up on extra energy before setting out, so I'll be consuming an energy bar and drink before doing any future long runs.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Did a 9-mile run this morning. It started out very nicely - I managed the first 5 miles in 49:45 - but then I "bonked" and slowed dramatically. Mile 6 took 12 minutes, mile 7 took 13, mile 8 took 12:20 with effort, and mile 9 took 11:20 with a weak and wobbly finishing kick. I probably started too fast, but it felt good at the time so it didn't occur to me that I might need to slow down and conserve energy.

Must remember to bring along an energy bar and something to drink on these longer runs, because once you bonk there's just no recovering.

Next week's schedule increases the weekly mileage, but without a long run on Saturday. I'm supposed to do 4, 7, 5, and 7 which should actually be easier. The 8+ mile runs really wear down my joints and muscles, but 7 or less just feels like a good run.
Glenn Elliott
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi there,

DrDirk came over from Germany for the weekend to enjoy himself before the Malvedos tasting. In order to properly warm up we opted on Friday evening to celebrate his BA business class upgrade with a Noval 1985. On Saturday we went to the opera and later to the Crusting pipe to enjoy a Croft and Sandemann 1982 with a big Steak :pig: :pig: :pig: .
I have to admit we got thirsty on the tube (usually a Derek pehenomenon :lol: :wink: ) and a Taylor 1970 had to opened and enjoyed.
Today we went for a 10 mile walk (The High Weald walk in Kent/Sussex) and enjoyed a half bt of Berry Brothers 2007 on the way (in carried with Riedel glasses). Detox needs minimum requirements :wink: :lol: :lol:

We feel prepared for the Malvedos tasting! :)

regards

DrDirk and WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

WS1 wrote:Today we went for a 10 mile walk (The High Weald walk in Kent/Sussex) and enjoyed a half bt of Berry Brothers 2007 on the way (in carried with Riedel glasses).
This seems like an excellent plan from a calorie intake point of view, but I suspect that carrying the bottle and stemware with me while running would be too cumbersome. Perhaps a backpack hydration unit would work better.

I frequently run on the shoulders of roads, too, so I worry that the B.A.C. produced might induce weaving. While amusing to watch, it might startle the drivers of the oncoming vehicles. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Week 10: There is now 1st and 1lb less of me than there was in Week 1.

Today I walked around 10 miles in the Pentland Hills, which was my first serious walk for two weeks. My legs hurt.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

As expected, this week was actually easier even though it involved more miles simply because there was no long run. I did do 7 miles twice, but at this stage of the game 7 miles isn't really pushing things for me so I don't get completely worn out running that far.

Since I'm about 7 weeks ahead of schedule to complete this training program, I'm going to repeat weeks 11-13 and then 10-13 to allow the calendar to catch up, then will finish weeks 14-19 at the correct time. I've been told that the last few weeks of a training program before a race are designed specifically to help your body be in top form for the race, so I want to make sure that I give the program the chance to set me up correctly.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yesterday I did a 12 mile walk in the Peak District. The total ascent was approximately 2,500ft and half of the 5 hours were spent walking along a ridge at around 2,000ft into a very strong headwind. I hurt in places that I didn't know I had :shock:

Today I walked around 3 miles in London.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sunday was a 60 mile circuit race (did the Pro 1-2 race) that took 2 hours to complete. That's averaging about 30 mph for the whole race...I'm still sore but the 1967 Quinta do Roeda I have in the decanter right now should help dull the pain.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:That's averaging about 30 mph for the whole race...
It takes a steep hill and a stiff tail wind for me to reach 30 mph on my bike! :shock:
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Today's run was supposed to be relatively short - 4 miles - and I have a rest day tomorrow before another long run on Saturday, so I decided to see how fast I could go.

So... fast is relative, no laughing allowed!

I set a new personal best of 39:06! I was really trying to break that 39-minute mark, but just didn't have enough left in my legs. Still... that's 30 seconds faster than my previous best, and a good 4 minutes faster than earlier this year. Progress!

Some days I think my rough goal of 2:11:00 for the half marathon (10 minute miles) is possible... other days I'm not sure. But I still have 3 months of training to go, so there's still a chance!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:I set a new personal best of 39:06!
Well done Glenn! Image
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I lost another 2lb this week, making the total 1st 3lb since late January.

Today the weather was rubbish so I just went for a gentle stroll of 15 miles in just under 4 hours 88)

This is a holiday weekend in the UK (both Friday and Monday off work) so I am planning to do 4 days walking in a row for the first time. My target is 50 miles in 4 days so only 35 to go :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:I lost another 2lb this week, making the total 1st 3lb since late January.
Nice! You're disappearing at a prodigious rate!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:This is a holiday weekend in the UK (both Friday and Monday off work) so I am planning to do 4 days walking in a row for the first time. My target is 50 miles in 4 days so only 35 to go :wink:
Today I did 15 miles in the Peak District with about 2,000ft of ascents. 2 days and only 20 miles to go to reach my target :D

As I sipped my beer beside a log fire in the The Cheshire Cheese Inn at the bottom of the final hill I decided to send Glenn a wake-up email to spur him into action. It seemed to do the trick :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Not doing too badly...
DRT.jpg
DRT.jpg (38.19 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
Just 3lbs behind target after 11 weeks :D
Ernest H. Cockburn