Is Sherry enjoying a revival?

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Is Sherry enjoying a revival?

Post by uncle tom »

While creeping round my local Tesco yesterday morning (7.30am Saturday is a good time to shop BTW - full shelves, empty store..) I noticed, while glancing at the Port shelf, that the Sherry section had been considerably extended, giving it slightly more space than Port.

Assuming that Tesco know a thing or two about optimising shelf allocation, this would suggest that Sherry is resurgent...

..or has my local store screwed up?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Is Sherry enjoying a revival?

Post by g-man »

This side of the pond has seen the same, walked into 2 local wine shops today and I saw the same thing. the port section was only 2 shelves, the sherry section was 3.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

In the Netherlands, Sherry has been working hard to revive its image for at least 5 years now, and it seems to be paying off. They are present with a big Sherry stand at every tasting, both for professionals and consumers, showing people the different styles and the way they work with different kinds of dishes. There is clearly a lot of budget. Kind of sad to see the promotional budget for Port and Portuguese wines (in the Netherlands) as a comparison, which is € 0.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

It seems to be; I always wondered what would appear now that Vodka, Tequila, Bourbon, Sake, and Gin were passe. Eric Asimov is blogging about it, and amusingly he cites Dovetail (host to one of our 1977 tastings) for their 25 bottle sherry list.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

Sherry certainly offers very good QPR. It is certainly being revived in my household! Waitrose Bloomsbury has as much sherry as port, and possibly better variety (including, an unusual vintage 1990 oloroso). Sainsburys Camden, for bizarre reasons, was offering the extremely good Lustau East India in 50cl for £3 a few months ago! M&S also does a good Manzanilla. Well worth a look for everyday stuff.
Mark
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

Enjoying a little of that lovely PX/Oloroso blend, Lustau East India Solera sherry. At this time of day? I have a stinking cold and can't think of much better a remedy!

Haven't had this for several months, and good to come back to. Drunk at room temp, bottle suggests slightly chilled too. The PX is dominant but the Oloroso holds that stickiness at bay somewhat, and provides some acidity to give it a more pleasing balance, as opposed to the outright black-treacle-in-a-glass that is straight PX! Obviously a blend, and well made. Very warming and clears a phlegm-ey chest nicely.
Mark
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

There's plenty of good sherry in the 50% bins around Boston. Bargain hunter's dream
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?