Private tasting

What happened?
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Private tasting

Post by ac-fast »

Tomorow Saturday

We are a group of 5 couples and we love port. Tomorrow we have our third tasting. The program is mixed, and are as follow

Barao de vilar LBV 03
Romariz LBV 03

Barros VP 05
Kopke VP 07

Ramos Pinto 20Y
Dalva 30Y
Portal 40Y

Romariz Colheita 63
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Private tasting

Post by Glenn E. »

ac-fast wrote:Romariz Colheita 63
I'm interested to hear how this bottle shows for you. I have had it twice with wildly different results. The first time I had it in Porto it was wonderful. The second time was a bottle I purchased over the internet, and while it was very nice right after the bottle was opened it went downhill very quickly. After a mere 5 hours it was flat and bland, and by the next day it was practically just sugary water.

I hope your bottle is similar to my first!
Glenn Elliott
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Hi...

tomorrow I will post my experience
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Glenn E. wrote:
I'm interested to hear how this bottle shows for you. I have had it twice with wildly different results. The first time I had it in Porto it was wonderful. The second time was a bottle I purchased over the internet, and while it was very nice right after the bottle was opened it went downhill very quickly. After a mere 5 hours it was flat and bland, and by the next day it was practically just sugary water.

Did they have very different bottling dates?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

RonnieRoots wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:

Did they have very different bottling dates?
I do not know the bottling date of the first bottle - it was at the bar in the Pestana Porto. The second bottle was bottled in the late 1990s - 1997 as I recall - and so may have been worse for having been in bottle for so long. But for all I know the Pestana's bottle was also bottled in 1997.
Glenn Elliott
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Always difficult of course when it comes to provenance. It could well have been that the second bottle you bought had been used as window decoration for years.

I had this port as well. From an open bottle in the Solar do Vinho do Porto. Haven't got a clue about bottling year, or how long it was open, but it was a lovely glass.