Real/Royal, Guedes, and Hooper

Anything to do with Port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Real/Royal, Guedes, and Hooper

Post by SushiNorth »

This likely belongs in reference, but its so minor of a point I didn't want to clutter it up.

"Real Comanhia Velha sells its Ports under many different labels, although Royal Oporto is its main vintage Port brand. ... It sold through a range of brands, including Royal Oporto, Guedes and Hooper. The majority of brands are the same wines, although some, such as Hooper, are a selection of a particular wine." -- James Suckling, Vintage Port (book), 1990 The Wine Spectator.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: Real/Royal, Guedes, and Hooper

Post by Conky »

I recently bought a Velha Royal Oporto 81, for £30 as an oddity, only to hear Jules destroy it as similar to 75's. Oh well, another one to drink with friends whilst hoarding the good stuff!
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

yeah, i picked up a Hoopers63, sad its really a Real in disguise. Amusingly, when i liberated the Guedes cork, it was labeled RCV, with a crown, and nothing else. I suspect they put the date below the crown, which means its lost in a purple muddle.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Conky wrote:I recently bought a Velha Royal Oporto 81, for £30 as an oddity, only to hear Jules destroy it as similar to 75's. Oh well, another one to drink with friends whilst hoarding the good stuff!
’82 I thought.