The Open Directory Project: Oporto and Vila Nova de Gaia

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

The Open Directory Project: Oporto and Vila Nova de Gaia

Post by jdaw1 »

As some TPFers might know, I’m editor jdaw1 at the Open Directory Project, formerly known as Directory Mozilla. Currently DMOZ has an English language category for Oporto, but not for Vila Nova de Gaia, though there are Português categories for both. I’d like to create Regional: Europe: Portugal: Districts: Oporto: Vila Nova de Gaia, but to do that requires having several websites that are specifically about VNG or places therein. In the thread about JacobH’s forthcoming trip RonnieRoots suggested www.GrahamsPortLodge.com (thus inspiring this thread), but more are needed.

Please, if you know of other websites that are specifically about VNG or places therein, post here. (And indeed feel free to suggest sites currently missing from !: Oporto.)
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: The Open Directory Project: Oporto and Vila Nova de Gaia

Post by Glenn E. »

Are the Solar do Vinho do Porto and Vinologia appropriate links for the project?

The former is actually a subheading within http://www.ivp.pt, but it is in English and specific to the Solar.

I'm not sure which name is actually appropriate for Vinologia - both are on the windows of the shop. "Vinologia" is, I think, pretty clearly the name of the store itself, but of course "La Maison des Porto" is the web site. Locals also call the place Vinologia, so that's what I would use.

Lastly, my favorite restaurant in Porto is actually in Vila Nova de Gaia... Tromba Rija. The web site is in Portuguese, so it is probably not appropriate for the regional directory. Tromba Rija is a chain, so the link I've provided goes to the Gaia location within the larger web site.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:Are the Solar do Vinho do Porto and Vinologia appropriate links for the project?
Neither are in VNG, so not really. I’ll ensure that they are appropriately listed in Oporto.
Glenn E. wrote:Lastly, my favorite restaurant in Porto is actually in Vila Nova de Gaia... Tromba Rija.
No English-language content, so again, no, though I will request that it be listed in the appropriate Português category. (I have no permissions in World: Português.)

What’s wanted are the two ‘in’s: physically in VNG; website having content in English.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Hey Julian,

at least here is a great link to a cool restaurant:

http://www.trombarija.com/gaia-rg.html

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

The site cavesdovinhodoporto.com gives the contacts of port lodges that are open to visitors, including an interactive map. It's set up by the AEVP and fairly outdated.