Organising Your Port

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Organising Your Port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've just spent a very happy couple of hours going through the contents of my recently moved collection of bottles (recently moved only because the builders are now demolishing the room where they were kept).

I now have all my port ay home in alphabetical order by shipper, chronologically within each shipper and then in sub-order of date of acquiring them.

I know, I'm sad but I did have fun putting them in this order.

So how do you organise your bottles?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by DRT »

I have two wine coolers. I very occassionaly pull all of the bottles out and put them back in chronological order but with no regard to alpha order of the shippers within each vintage. Shoddy, but true.

The exceptions to this are that (a) Nacionals all lie on one shelf and never move until being taken out to drink and (b) anything I have 6 of gets a whole shelf to itself, not necessarily in the chronilogical order.

I am glad I am not as geeky as AHB when it comes to matters of storage.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Mine are grouped more-or-less by age, sub sorted by perceived quality. Since I'm using a wine fridge for storage, I can't be too picky about where each bottle must reside or there will be too many holes on the shelves, so it would be optimistic to say that my bottles are sorted. I do know where everything is, but the "order" would probably not be apparent to anyone else.

Like Derek, I also sort out sets of 6 (or 12) onto separate shelves. In my case, all of my sets of 6 or 12 are younger Ports that need to lie down for many years, so I've migrated them toward the bottom of the fridge where the temperature is presumably slightly cooler (and more constant).
Glenn Elliott
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

I think its fair to say that what I store on site I don't organise. Due to space constraints I don't have that many bottles at home and quite frequently cannot find something or find something I had lost. It can be fun and it can be frustrating, on reflection mostly fun.

I would love one day to organise things much more but that will probably wait until the little'ies grow up a bit.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Collections of bottles go in a hole in the rack big enough to accommodate them. If there multiple choices of hole, I endeavour to choose one near like wines (age or house). Bottles have neck tags, and there is the inevitable spreadsheet.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

I put my ready to drink and lesser ports up front like pawns to protect my rooks and bishops. The key is to always have a buffer of cellar defenders.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Portman wrote:cellar defenders
What a great term for quality but everyday-drinking port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
Now there's an idea for a thread sometime...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
Now there's an idea for a thread sometime...
...and an off-line theme 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I organised them by year and if I do not have enough from a specific year I bundled them together such as 1978 to 1980.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

My cellar is ordered loosely, but I put my faith in tagging every bottle, numbering every rack, assigning a letter to every column of each rack and a number to each row - and then telling my computer where I've put things.

For the tags, I have a three figure 'case number' and then a letter for the bottle number.

Thus case number 333C is the third bottle from case number 333. (which happens to be Croft '70) My computer tells me that the first bottle from the case is stored at location 03A06 - rack three, column A, row 6. The bottles are always racked vertically, so I know that bottle C will lie in the row below (rack 3 is a double depth rack)

My main database tells me essential infrmation about each case - which wine, where bought, when, how much for, how many bottles, what format & how many bottles have been drunk or sold.

For each line on the database, there is a link to a case notes file, which records more detailed information for the purchase as a whole - mainly provenance and bottler information - and for each bottle - level and condition, tasting notes or details of to whom sold.

I have also written a raft of macros to analyse the data in various ways..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Axel P wrote:My cellar is ordered loosely, but I put my faith in tagging every bottle, numbering every rack, assigning a letter to every column of each rack and a number to each row - and then telling my computer where I've put things.

For the tags, I have a three figure 'case number' and then a letter for the bottle number.

Thus case number 333C is the third bottle from case number 333. (which happens to be Croft '70) My computer tells me that the first bottle from the case is stored at location 03A06 - rack three, column A, row 6. The bottles are always racked vertically, so I know that bottle C will lie in the row below (rack 3 is a double depth rack)

My main database tells me essential infrmation about each case - which wine, where bought, when, how much for, how many bottles, what format & how many bottles have been drunk or sold.

For each line on the database, there is a link to a case notes file, which records more detailed information for the purchase as a whole - mainly provenance and bottler information - and for each bottle - level and condition, tasting notes or details of to whom sold.

I have also written a raft of macros to analyse the data in various ways..
Tom, you fully lost me on the way. If I had your system, I would only be able to source a bottle when totally drunk, because then it wouldnt matter anyways.

:)
Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Some of you guys have some incredible cellars. Case 333? I've got probably 500 bottles and my friends think I am nuts. Just because I go down there and talk to my favorite bottles doesnt prove a thing.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Portman wrote:I've got probably 500 bottles and my friends think I am nuts. Just because I go down there and talk to my favorite bottles doesnt prove a thing.
You fit right in here 88) :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Does anybody need reminding that AHB is an Accountant?

If have a space, a new bottle will go in there. That's my system.
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

KillerB wrote:If have a space, a new bottle will go in there. That's my system.
You have tremendous willpower. I don't. My system is: if I have space, a new bottle will go there. If I don't, a new case will have to be nudged in somehow.

But given that most of my bottles are in offsite storage at the moment, I do have a sort of a system. Cases are numbered, and everything is in cellartracker. That way I know where to look if I want something out of there. Which still means that case will be at the bottom of the pile of course.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Case 333?
My most recent entry has been allocated the case number 805 - however, I started at 100 and every part case, even lone bottles; get a case number.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

RonnieRoots wrote:
You have tremendous willpower. I don't. My system is: if I have space, a new bottle will go there. If I don't, a new case will have to be nudged in somehow.
Hang on - I didn't say that I wouldn't buy wine just because there is no space, just if there is space a wine will go there. Hence the higgledy piggledy nature of my filing system. I have cases all over the place and spare bottles hanging around on shelves, stuff precariously dangling by gossamer thin threads from light-bulbs. For pity's sake don't accuse me of restraint.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

KillerB wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:
Hang on - I didn't say that I wouldn't buy wine just because there is no space, just if there is space a wine will go there. Hence the higgledy piggledy nature of my filing system. I have cases all over the place and spare bottles hanging around on shelves, stuff precariously dangling by gossamer thin threads from light-bulbs. For pity's sake don't accuse me of restraint.
Glad to hear that --sigh of relief--
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

uncle tom wrote:
Case 333?
My most recent entry has been allocated the case number 805 - however, I started at 100 and every part case, even lone bottles; get a case number.

Tom

I'm still impressed.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

KillerB wrote:Does anybody need reminding that AHB is an Accountant?

I take the , if I'm still sober, then a new bottle could definitely in the cellar.

Otherwise I'm at capacity =(
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

g-man wrote:
KillerB wrote:Does anybody need reminding that AHB is an Accountant?

I take the , if I'm still sober, then a new bottle could definitely in the cellar.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I assume something about the use of a comma as a pause replacing 'then' but no excuse for the inapproprate space or frankly baffling end to the sentence. If this was an attempt at piss-taking then please ensure that the satire is pertinently accurate :wink:
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

At the time of writing, I suspect.. :nirvana: :nirvana: :nirvana:
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

At my other board we use the shorthand "PWI" in cases like these. Posting While Intoxicated
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Portman wrote:At my other board we use the shorthand "PWI" in cases like these. Posting While Intoxicated
It would be more appropriate to use PWNI on this site to avoid over-use :roll:
:lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn