Questions about shipper's names

Anything to do with Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Questions about shipper's names

Post by DRT »

This thread is intended to be used to collect information from :tpf: ers to help resolve queries relating to the names of old port shippers. This will feed into the work JDAW and I are doing on the list of vintage declarations to allow us to achieve consistency in the data we are gathering.

First question is:

Uncle Tom provided me with a list that includes "J & C White & Co. 1844". I have a bottle of "White's of Leicester 1873".

Does anyone know whether or not these are in fact the same wine merchant/shipper?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Questions about shipper's names

Post by benread »

I cannot answer your question, but a similar subject came up hereregarding Gonzalez Byas and M. Gonzalez which Dominic Symington asnwered for me.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ernest Cockburn, in his book Port Wine and the Douro wrote:Gonzalez ("Roriz") 1986, 1900, 1904, 1908, 1912, 1917 and 1920
Alex Liddell, on page 132 of his book Port Quintas of the Douro wrote:It was C N Kopke & Ca who, of course, purchased the quinta port and built up its reputation in the nineteenth century. Thirteen bottles of what was believed to be the 1834 Quinta do Roriz port were sold by Christie's, the London auctioneers, on 1 December 1983...A change occurred at the turn of the centruy, however, when the sherry firm Gonzalez Byass diversified into port in 1896, and secured a monopoly of the Roriz wine. From 1901 until the mid1930s their vintage wines were shipped under the Roriz name. So Roriz appeared on the English market at least for over a century as a single quinta wine and seems to have the longest (documented) history of so doing.
1. Does anyone have any Gonzalez/Roriz VPs from the period 1896-1940? If so, can you please send me photos of the labels?

2. Does anyone have a Quinta do Roriz 1834? If so, we need to organise an off-line :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

The Gonzalez Byass 1910 label makes no mention of the source quinta; only that it was bottled in 1913.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill