Burmester

Anything to do with Port.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Burmester

Post by ac-fast »

Hi..... need a little help

I had never tasted Burmester, and a friend offered me some Burmester VP 1997 and VP 2003.

Is it any good ????

How long time can i store it in the cellar ???

Once again, sorry my bad english
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: Burmester

Post by RonnieRoots »

The end of the 1990's and beginning 2000's weren't exactly a prime period for Burmester. Recently, the company has been bought by Sogevinus (that also owns Calem and the Barros companies), and I've heard they do good things. The problem with the ports from the late 90's and early 00's is that they already tasted old just after bottling. Especially the 2003 shocked me when I tasted it along other young ports from that vintage. That said, if you're able to buy them at a good price, they are certainly worth a try, and they will give you a decent drink on the short term. As a guideline: I tasted the 2000 last year and it seemed more or less ready to drink.

BTW: Burmester produces some very interesting LBV's, that are usually well capable of ageing. I've tasted quite a few (up to 1998) and they seemed to be best at about 10 years of age.

Hope this helps.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Thanks for your quick responce.

The price is 20 Eur for 2003 - I try it :D
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

For this price, go ahead. I do think that Burmester has its strength on the Tawny side. The Colheitas - especially the old ones - are always worth trying and the Tordiz (over 40y old) is a legend in this category.

axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

THey make great tawny's but I'd avoid their '80s VP's. I've had several and they all were bad. Their newer vintages are a major improvement and worth getting. The 2005 I gave 92 points
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Prefer the Barros Colheita style to Burmester; a little more acid to it. Burmester colheitas are good though.

Only had a one Burmester VP and did not think much of it. The 2005 seems like it could be good, but I am not an expert at judging young port.

I like the Burmester dry wine for the money.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?