What to open for 1-year anniversary

Anything to do with Port.

Which bottle shall I open for our 1-year wedding anniversary?

Graham's 1983 Vintage Port
No votes
Fonseca 1985 Vintage Port
30%
Quarles Harris 1977 Vintage Port
30%
Kopke 1980 Colheita
40%

Total votes: 10

RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

What to open for 1-year anniversary

Post by RonnieRoots »

On January 18th LadyR and I will celebrate our first wedding anniversary. It goes without saying that we intend to open a bottle of port on this happy occasion. The choice of bottles is limited, but fortunately not bad. Our complete collection (here in Muscat) is mentioned in the poll.

What bottle do you think matches the occasion best?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: What to open for 1-year anniversary

Post by jdaw1 »

The F85 will improve with time. How much longer will you stay in Oman? Do you have one bottle of F85 for each anniversary you will spend there? If not, better save that for later.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Oh God, that was a year ago - the first (and I admit, so far only) TPF wedding. Fabulous day with fabulous wines, fabulous food and fabulous company. Still remember sitting at the back of the wedding ceremony bemused at the jokes being told in Dutch.

I've just gone for the best Port - F85.
Port is basically a red drink
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

I voted for the Colheita. A good Colheita should be fresh and elegant. Not the worst attributes for this day imo. And I do love to drink Colheitas especially in summer in a nice umbrageous place. However, have a nice day!

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

jdaw1 wrote:The F85 will improve with time. How much longer will you stay in Oman? Do you have one bottle of F85 for each anniversary you will spend there? If not, better save that for later.
The plan is to stay here until 2012. There are more F85's in the cellar in the Netherlands, but this bottle (a gift from friends) is the only one we have in Muscat.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LadyR deserves the best you have to offer - so I voted F85 :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

LadyR deserves to have the best, at the best possible time for it. Indeed, LadyR will drink of all four bottles you have mentioned.

The other trouble is that anniversaries that are multiples of five deserve more than ordinary anniversaries, and multiples of ten even more so. If F85 is served on your first, what will you serve for your tenth and please may I be invited to partake of it?

So hold the F85 for the moment, and instead tackle the QH77. It is at its peak, and according to DRT” ”¡, a very fine peak it is.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I will break with the others and vote for the 1980 Kopke Colheita.

While I also tend to break with the establishment in that I believe that Colheitas can improve with age in the bottle, I will also admit that they do not improve as much as VP. Colheitas and other tawnies are meant to be consumed soon after bottling to be at their peak, many fine examples to the contrary notwithstanding.

I have never had the 1980 Kopke Colheita, but I have had the 1977, 1983, and 1987. If the 1980 is as good as those 3, then you and your lady are in for a fine evening indeed.

When, may I ask, was it bottled?
Glenn Elliott
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

jdaw1 wrote:LadyR deserves to have the best, at the best possible time for it. Indeed, LadyR will drink of all four bottles you have mentioned.
You are very right there. :)
The other trouble is that anniversaries that are multiples of five deserve more than ordinary anniversaries, and multiples of ten even more so. If F85 is served on your first, what will you serve for your tenth and please may I be invited to partake of it?
Well... there are always better ports... and you're most welcome.

So hold the F85 for the moment, and instead tackle the QH77. It is at its peak, and according to DRT” ”¡, a very fine peak it is.
Sound reasoning, and I must say it gives me a nudge towards the QH. Although I'm also surprised by the number of votes for the colheita.

KillerB, there is a picture of you trying to laugh at a joke of which you don't understand a word. It's a rather funny sight, and I'll spare you the shame of posting it here.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Glenn: it was bottled in 2006. I am on the same page as you when it comes to letting colheitas age in bottle, so this one will go sooner rather than later. I've had the 1980 once or twice before, also in comparison with the 1983. I would say it's very much on the same level, maybe even a notch above the '83, but that's splitting hairs.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I suspect I was laughing with Jeff about the fact that we didn't understand a word, or alternatively a look of bewilderment had crossed my face.
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A first anniversary is a paper anniversary, so you should open a bottle of port which has a paper label or paper sello. Does that help you to decide?

Hmm. Perhaps it doesn't, OK. I vote for the colheita only because you can drink them slightly chilled and that may be a welcome relief in the heat of the desert.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

AHB wrote:I vote for the colheita only because you can drink them slightly chilled and that may be a welcome relief in the heat of the desert.
Ah, but is has been raining for the last two days and it's only 18C during daytime. Several floods make driving around town difficult, one of which is in front of our house. Water is still knee-deep there.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

First, congratulations on your wedding anniversary! I voted for the '77 QH. I've had it several times and it's a very nice VP that flys under the radar and is rarely, if ever, mentioned for some reason. Whatever you chose, I know you'll both enjoy it. Of course, you may need to drink it with some hip wadders on if that water keeps rising....
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I've put a bottle upright for tomorrow, and have decided on the Quarles Harris 1977. We chose this bottle because we will be drinking it in a restaurant and both of us feel more like drinking VP after dinner than colheita. As a colheita will keep better for a longer periode of time when opened, we will follow AHB's recommendation and drink it slightly chilled when the weather gets warmer again.

Thanks for all your recommendations!
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Since the 85 Fonseca is my 85 favorite besides the Grahams I would love to drink this fabulous wine with a fabulous lady...

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

It was corked!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote:It was corked!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
That is a pity. But if you had listened to those of us who advised F85 you could have avoided the disappointment :P :lol:
Don't forget to Name & Shame :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I know, I know, rub it in.
But then, we would have had this on LadyR's birthday ( a child of 77 remember?) and that would have been a shame as well.