Counterfeits

Anything to do with Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Counterfeits

Post by Axel P »

I am sitting over a bottle of 30y old Fonseca which neither has the structure nor the depth and the length of what I would expect from a bottle like this.

Because of this I am very close to believe that this might be a counterfeit bottle. It does not have a bottling date on it...

Did anyone ever had experience with this kind or other Port bottles he or she was suspicious about?

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Counterfeits

Post by jdaw1 »

Please post pictures.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Axel P wrote:I am sitting over a bottle of 30y old Fonseca which neither has the structure nor the depth and the length of what I would expect from a bottle like this.

Because of this I am very close to believe that this might be a counterfeit bottle. It does not have a bottling date on it...

Did anyone ever had experience with this kind or other Port bottles he or she was suspicious about?
If there is any counterfeiting of Ports, I do wonder if it would happen to a 30-year-old tawny. I can understand someone, for instance, relabelling and re-corking something like a Noval 1970 and selling it as a Nacional 1963, yielding at least a 95% profit, with a low chance of being caught. But to produce a realistic Fonseca 30-year-old would involve the same process being performed on something like a 20-year-old with a result that the net profit (and the profit margin) will be much, much lower.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Axel,

As far as I am aware Fonseca have not produced a 30yr tawny for quite a few years as they do not have sufficient stocks of old wines to produce one. I have a bottle of Fonseca 30 yr old that was bottled in the 1980's and the bottle is a very distinctive shape. As Jdaw suggests, it would be good if you could post pictures.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

... will do and would have done when my digicam comes back.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

What Jacob said. I wonder where would be a reasonable profit for the effort.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Axel P wrote:I am sitting over a bottle of 30y old Fonseca which neither has the structure nor the depth and the length of what I would expect from a bottle like this.

Axel
I suspect that you have an old bottle which has not been well looked after. What was the source?

I have had my suspicions in the past about bottles which I have seen offered, but never yet tried anything (other than a Croft '33, which patently wasn't) which I have been convinced was counterfeit. My believe is that at the moment, there is relatively little counterfeit port in the market with what there is being mainly aimed at the top priced brands such as the '45 Taylor.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

AHB wrote:(other than a Croft '33, which patently wasn't)
For anyone else who (like me) had forgotten this story, see here!