New Style

Make suggestions and report problems.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: New Style

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Should we have a coloured background in the site header?

PS: This is not a question for JDAW
But I’ll answer it anyway. No. It is plenty clear enough. Don’t make it an island: the whole page is :tpf:, not just the header.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JDAW,

Please look here. The red used in the Poll should perhaps be TPF Red? When you find it in the CSS you might want to review the other colours used for alternative answers.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Saw that. Had already decided that it needed work — but precluded by baby-sitting.

If we’re down to squabbling about poll colours, does that mean it can become the default style.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Saw that. Had already decided that it needed work — but precluded by baby-sitting.

If we’re down to squabbling about poll colours, does that mean it can become the default style.
Squabbling? Who's squabbling? We are in total agreement.

Give me the larger Reply and New Topic buttons and change the default grey things as promised last night and I'll say yes.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:larger Reply and New Topic buttons
And New PM and Forward: done.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Ghastly poll bars believed repaired.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

ThePortForumRed is now the standard setting for everybody.

Complaints in this thread please.

Known issues:
  • The right-aligned lines in the header don’t line up very elegantly for all window widths.
  • Width-adjusting code requires writing by SushiNorth and including by jdaw1.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

All user profiles have been set to use ThePortForumRed as their Board Style. There is also an alternative style known as ThePortForumSilver. You can select whichever style you want to use by going to the User Control Panel and selecting the "Board preferences" tab. On the Board preferences screen you will see an option to select "My Board Style". Select the style you want and click the Submit button at the bottom of the screen to set your preferred style.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thank you for the silver choice..that red is totally annoying and hurts my eyes to try and read.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy V wrote:Thank you for the silver choice..that red is totally annoying and hurts my eyes to try and read.
What annoys? Please be specific.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glad to see the new style now being the default!

A small thing which I’ve just noticed is that the text in the Search box has a little much left margin between the text and the edge of the box (perhaps because on ProSilver there is a background image which is located there?).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:A small thing which I’ve just noticed is that the text in the Search box has a little much left margin between the text and the edge of the box (perhaps because on ProSilver there is a background image which is located there?).
Good spot: fixed, and box widened.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Also made a small change to the thread icons: read announcements and read stickies now have their ‘writing’ in red rather than tawny.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hm, I thought I already posted this, but apparently it didn't come through (blasted internet connection here in the desert!)

External links open in the same window as the original. Can these please be changed to "_blank" by default? That would definitely improve navigation.

Also, I posted a question about the search function in a seperate thread, as I don't know if it belongs to the 'new style' problems. Can one of the admins take a look into that? Thanks.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ronnie's question about the search function, posted here was as follows:
RonnieRoots wrote:The search function in the upper right part of the site doesn't seem to function as it used to since the upgrade. E.g. I tried searching on +port +books (both with and without the '+') but nothing came up, while I was sure that I once wrote a topic called "Good books on port". Advanced search gave the same problem. I encountered the same problem with a recent search for another topic, where only a couple of recent topics came up, but not the older one I was looking for.

Is this a known problem?
Ronnie,

This now seems to be working OK. It may have been a glitch whilst the upgrade was ongoing as we were temporarily using a second installation of phpBB and the pointers to the data may have got confumbled :wink:

Can you please test it again and let us know?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote:External links open in the same window as the original. Can these please be changed to "_blank" by default? That would definitely improve navigation.
Ronnie,

I have had a look around the Admin settings and can see nothing obvious that would control this so it may not be configurable without editing the code. It may in fact be a feature of this version of phpBB. Jdaw may know how to set this, especially if he has made it do what it does now intentionally.

For the record: I agree with Ronnie and prefer when external links launch a new window. As it is now, backwards navigation is a rather labourious ball-ache.

Note: I just checked and :ftlop: does the same thing as :tpf:, which suggests this is a feature of the software.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Thanks for checking Derek. Hopefully jdaw will be able to change the setting. It would certainly make life easier. :wink:

The search function still doesn't operate like it should. It seems that only data from after the phpBB upgrade is given. For instance, if you type +port +books you'll get 8 (with this new entry probably 9) results. All posts are from end of August, beginning September, but the original thread is much older and not listed. Another example: June 27 2007 I posted a review called "A Weekend at Qta. do Passadouro (April 2004)". Try searching for weekend and passadouro and nothing will come up. Strange...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ronnie,

This sounds like exactly the same problem Stewart Todd had on :ftlop: when they first upgraded. I will email him to ask what solved the problem.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Thanks!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:
Andy V wrote:Thank you for the silver choice..that red is totally annoying and hurts my eyes to try and read.
What annoys? Please be specific.
For some reason websites with that much red bother my eyes to look at and try and read. The more neutral silver is far easier for me to look at and read.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:Ronnie,

This sounds like exactly the same problem Stewart Todd had on :ftlop: when they first upgraded. I will email him to ask what solved the problem.

Derek
Stewart gave me some pointers and I have now fixed this - I think?

Thanks, Stewart :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RonnieRoots wrote:External links open in the same window as the original. Can these please be changed to "_blank" by default? That would definitely improve navigation.
I don’t think that the style can distinguish between links to a page on :tpf: and external links. I will investigate.

But why not use the easier solution. Control-click, or on a Mac command-click, will open a link — any true link, any website — in a new tab. So you can determine, click by click, which you want.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: But why not use the easier solution. Control-click, or on a Mac command-click, will open a link — any true link, any website — in a new tab. So you can determine, click by click, which you want.
On [my] Windows XP Professional IE6: Shift-click opens in a new window.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

jdaw1 wrote:
I don’t think that the style can distinguish between links to a page on :tpf: and external links. I will investigate.
Then, wouldn't it be better to have both opened in a new window? I always like it when the main navigational window keeps intact.
jdaw1 wrote:But why not use the easier solution. Control-click, or on a Mac command-click, will open a link — any true link, any website — in a new tab. So you can determine, click by click, which you want.
I know that, but I think having it prefixed is more user-friendly.

The search function works perfectly now, thanks! :)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Strongly disagree with everything-in-new-window idea. Enormous clutter. Nothing in new window at least gives users a choice: right-click and choose Open in New Window.

And having investigated, the CSS doesn’t allow distinction between internal and external links. Can’t find it in the HTML. So we’re staying with default behaviour.