19th August offline @ TCP

What happened?
benread
Niepoort 1977

19th August offline @ TCP

Post by benread »

Looks like it falls to me to kick this off - as it was only Derek, Christopher and myself, not expecting much by way of response! The line-up was:

1967 Taylors Quinta de Vargellas
1977 Grahams
1980 Dow (from TCP wine list courtesy of Christopher)

I can report that all 3 were thoroughly enjoyed and I managed (for the first time) to get my last train home after a TPC offline at TCP!

We were blessed by a charming waitress who had clearly worked there some time and knew what she was doing. No problems securing the office, despite there being only 3 of us. That may have had something to do with the general lack of custom. The food was as good as ever, but the treacle tart with clotted cream was outstanding! Please can I have that for lunch and dinner on 8th October?!

Thank you to Derek and Christopher for an enjoyable evening.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 19th August offline @ TCP

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tasting notes of the Dow and Graham were posted as early as August 16th, and made an unmistakable mention of ARK aka KillerB. Were these ports decanted three days beofre the event?

Other than that, looks like a splendid evening. 3 bottles of port for three lads. Good average.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Anything with “clotted cream† is always a joy, especially if served by a “charming waitress†. But on 8th October you will not be suffering a sugar deficit.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

RonnieRoots wrote:Tasting notes of the Dow and Graham were posted as early as August 16th, and made an unmistakable mention of ARK aka KillerB. Were these ports decanted three days beofre the event?

Other than that, looks like a splendid evening. 3 bottles of port for three lads. Good average.
I watched the Dow being opened in front of us and DRT confessed to it being his second bottle of G77 in a week. He clearly has too much of it!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:Tasting notes of the Dow and Graham were posted as early as August 16th, and made an unmistakable mention of ARK aka KillerB. Were these ports decanted three days beofre the event?

I watched the Dow being opened in front of us and DRT confessed to it being his second bottle of G77 in a week. He clearly has too much of it!
Just to clarify, I spent a delightful evening at KillerB's house on Saturday night where we enjoyed a Dow 1980, Graham's 1977 and a Martinez 1970. Last night we also had a Dow 80 and Graham's 77 but these were not the same bottles as those consumed on Saturday, although the G77 was from the same source.

Last night was indeed a splendid event. Good food, good port and good company. What more does a man need? Oh, yes, a charming waitress :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Ah, makes sense. Always better to double taste ports. Just to be sure... :wink:
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Been wanting to try a '67 Vargellas.

The two I have tried were both faulty bottles. They were baked :evil:
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

mosesbotbol wrote:Been wanting to try a '67 Vargellas.

The two I have tried were both faulty bottles. They were baked :evil:
Moses,

The last 2 I've had were not that great, good but not great. I've got one bottle left and I'd be more than happy to bring it out to Boston the next time I come so you can try it.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Oddly enough I ended up having dinner at the TCP with some friends last night. We weren’t really organised enough to bring some Port so worked our way through the wine-list, with a Graham 10 year-old (as one of my friends is a serious tawny drinker!), Delaforce 1985 and Dow 1980.

I can vouch for Ben’s comments on the treacle tart. Next time I might skip a main course and just have two of those!