A question of etiquette

Make suggestions and report problems.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

A question of etiquette

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I post both here and on Roy's forum so I have a question of etiquette to consult on. If I post a thread or an interesting comment on Roy's forum am I free to post a link to it here? That way I can save myself the effort of having to duplicate my efforts and can still gain comment and response here and there.

Would that be OK? As an example, here is a link to a thread that I started yesterday.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Post the question or comment and the link - don't see a problem here. If it was just a link then that would negate the reason for having it here. Copy and paste is acceptable but sending people off to another site before they comment here would be asking the posters here to do too much.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

If we are looking for opinions on this, mine are as follows.

I feel we should allow links to any Port site to avoid duplication, or if a Big story breaks. Obviously we should go straight to source if possible, and not just to another Forum that may have found it first. I'd also like a sentence explaining what it is we've linked about, like, 'Here's a story on grape treading from VintagePort.Com'.
If someone does not offer the same curtesy back, I think we should be bigger than that, and concentrate on the subjects, and become resultantly more imformed. This has to be better than not having the opportunity of knowing due to site rivalry.
I can understand why others, who run sites attached to businesses, like Symington/Vintage Port, may think differently, but we have no vested interest and can rise above it.
I actually wouldn't have a problem with a permanant Port Links bit. It could include all the ones we know e.g. Bjorns new Norweigan one. I'm here to learn about Port, keep abreast of developments, and have a laugh and healthy discussion with mates and fellow enthusiasts.
So theres my tuppence worth, are we going for a handful of opinions and choosing the consensus. KillerB can be final adjudicator on policy (As long as it doesn't go to his head :D )

Alan
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

If it is information from another site then no problems but creating your own thread elsewhere then posting a link here wouldn't be polite to the other posters. If you want discussion on here then post the topic properly and put a link to elsewhere for reference.

Links should be for reference.

I agree that we should not be having any form of site rivalry.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think that the purpose of posting a question or observation here or anywhere else should be to stimulate debate in the place where you post it. Not everyone will be a member of all sites so I think it's important to have separate debates, albeit with referencial links.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn