Thoughts on LBVs

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Thoughts on LBVs

Post by uncle tom »

I feel like this was the same with more recent Sandeman LBVs that I've tried - massive tannic beasts that really need time to age rather than being blended for drinking on release.
My purchase strategy for LBVs is focused on those I think will age the best. Warre currently gets top billing by virtue of a well proven track record. Sandeman comes next as they are clearly making them for the long haul these days.

Number three on my list is Niepoort followed by Senhora do Convento which I've found most impressive. The fifth spot goes to Ramos Pinto.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Thoughts on LBVs

Post by rich_n »

uncle tom wrote:
I feel like this was the same with more recent Sandeman LBVs that I've tried - massive tannic beasts that really need time to age rather than being blended for drinking on release.
My purchase strategy for LBVs is focused on those I think will age the best. Warre currently gets top billing by virtue of a well proven track record. Sandeman comes next as they are clearly making them for the long haul these days.

Number three on my list is Niepoort followed by Senhora do Convento which I've found most impressive. The fifth spot goes to Ramos Pinto.
I have a similar approach although I do like to include the odd bottle of Dow/Graham/Taylor for short term options when they are particularly good.

I haven't heard of Senhora do Convento, I'll have to check them out. Quevedo are a favourite of mine when it comes to their LBVs, over the past 5 years (which is when I've been paying attention to them) they have released some really nice, big LBVs with plenty of tannic grip and acidic backbone. They also lean drier which I enjoy.