1994 Tesco

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
mattmoy_2000
Cheap Ruby

Re: 1994 Tesco

Post by mattmoy_2000 »

So, nearly ten years on I have a couple of bottles of this in my cellar. I last opened a bottle on my birthday in December 2013, so I figured 10 years on would be good to see the evolution.

Has anyone had any of this since this thread, and if so is there any advice for decanting time? I'm planning to drink it over next weekend.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

mattmoy_2000 wrote: 19:18 Sun 03 Dec 2023 So, nearly ten years on I have a couple of bottles of this in my cellar. I last opened a bottle on my birthday in December 2013, so I figured 10 years on would be good to see the evolution.

Has anyone had any of this since this thread, and if so is there any advice for decanting time? I'm planning to drink it over next weekend.
I'd recommend decanting a minimum of 6-8hrs ahead of when you want to start drinking it, and you could decant 12-24hr ahead without any real issue. Hope it shows well for you, am sure it will have evolved significantly and hopefully be drinking well.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I’ve had a bottle in the last year or two. I’ll look up my thoughts when I get the chance.

I’m of a slightly different opinion from Phil (ask two Port drinkers for their opinion and you’ll get two different answers!) with regards to decanting.

Since you’re planning to drink the bottle over the weekend, I’d do a short decant - maybe even pop and pour - so you can see how the wine evolves over 24 hours. That way you can figure out where your own preference lies. (Which does mean you have to take a sip or two with Sunday breakfast…)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.