Wed 14 Dec 2022 - Quevedo Closure Experiment

What happened?
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Wed 14 Dec 2022 - Quevedo Closure Experiment

Post by flash_uk »

We gathered at 67 Pall Mall with Oscar Quevedo, for the first opening of his Closure Experiment cases of the 2014 Vintage Port from Quevedo.

Links:
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: Wed 14 Dec 2022 - Quevedo Closure Experiment

Post by flash_uk »

flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

A very interesting experiment! The conclusions I drew, were:
  • the artificial cork probably made the most complete seal, as this bottle was more tannic, fruit less developed
  • the screw cap I felt was the most evolved, and slightly less balanced than the natural cork bottles
  • in the round, I think natural cork the best - the wine seemed to be eveolving in a better, more balanced way
I do wonder if the artificial cork would preserve the wine and prevent any meaningful evolution, which would not seem preferable to me.

A quick note for future reference at a subsequent second shot at tasting the experiment bottling. I don't think all attendees voted with the same objective - some perhaps voting for the wine they liked best, others perhaps (like me) voting for which cork seemed to be offering the most "sound" seal. Clear guidance to be given next time to bring voting approach consistency.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I wasn't able to make the tasting, but Oscar saved me samples of each of the wines to try the following day. I didn't take separate notes, but will split and post the following:

Quevedo 2014 Vintage Port from a Closure Experiment case cellared in Fordingbridge. Tasted blind, not knowing which sample relates to which method of closure. The samples are all more or less the same colour, a deep and dark red with small rims. The noses of 2 and 3 are very similar, expressive with fresh ripe red peach fruit. 4 is muted on the nose, showing a little red fruit but more aggressive in tone. 5 is very closed on the nose. The palate of 2 has shut down; powerful acidity and raw tannins dominate the fruit. The fruit is present, but very reluctant to show. Aggressive acidity on the aftertaste, a big burst of menthol heat, dry dark chocolate and a sour blackcurrant and warm aniseed finish of fabulous length. Incredibly young, big and very muscular. 92/100. Sample 3 on the palate was much more balanced, with the fruit initially holding the power in check. The acidity and tannins build to dominate the fruit on the late palate and the tannins on the finish are very green. Again the wine has a very very long finish.

Sample 4 has a lovely silky texture; the wine is full of fruit and - while young and aggressive - is much better balanced than 2 or 3. The balance lasts throughout the palate, aftertaste and finish, delivering a wine capable of being drunk today although one which would reward more time in the bottle.

Sample 5 has an oddly perfumed tone to the fruit. The fruit is more black cherry than blackcurrant and the tannins are very green. This does taste like a very old-fashioned style of long-lived Vintage Port. The green tannins dominate the aftertaste, but in a good way, supporting the black cherry fruit finish. This is my preferred bottle - big Port, full of power, full of fruit and with a long life ahead of it.

Sample 2 was standard bottle, normal cork. Sample 3 was pote bottle, natural cork. Sample 4 was standard bottle, screwcap. Sample 5 was standard bottle, artificial cork.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.