2004 Vale do Bomfim

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

2004 Vale do Bomfim

Post by DRT »

I bought a case of this from Laithwaites this week. It was reasonably priced at £5-6 per bottle, can't remember exactly how much.

The back label goes on at length about the Symingtons history but says very little about the source of the grapes. There is no specific mention of the Quinta anywhere on the label, which suggests it is a blend form bought in grapes or grapes sources from other properties with the Bomfim name used for commercial effect.

The nose is very woody, at first I thought corked but it just seems to be slightly over-oaked. It has a lovely texture and is very dry and tannic but, for my taste, is lacking enough acidic bite.

After one glass my teeth are very squeeky and my palate as dry as a Belgian desert. This may benefit from a few more years in the bottle so I think 6 will go away to boarding school soon.

Definitely ( :wink: ) worth the price.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn