2014 Quinta de la Rosa LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2014 Quinta de la Rosa LBV

Post by rich_n »

Opened for the virtual TFP tasting with Sophia from QdlR.

+0 days

On opening this has a rather unusual nose. Heavy on the eucalyptus and something else green/herbal that I can't quite put my finger on. A touch of chocolate, red cherries and maybe molasses? Deliciously punchy on the palate, red cherries followed by huge peppery heat (that has faded to a medium spice after about 15 minutes) and more chocolate - almost caramel and milk chocolate. A fairly dry finish. This is surprisingly drinkable straight out of the gate! Very good already.

+1 day

A similar eucalyptus nose with a slight red cherry note; whilst the nose is muted compared to yesterday, on the palate this is no less explosive. A beautiful red berry entry with caramel sweetness that then gives way to a huge, delightful peppery punch. The eucalyptus shows in the mid palate alongside chocolate, but it's not as forward as in the nose. There's a lovely minerality in this that I can't put my finger on, but it's wonderful. While this is has some tannic grip and dryness, it's still very smooth and silky. This is a very enjoyable wine and extremely impressive as an LBV.

Some nuttiness showing through later in the evening.

+2 days

Nose is more muted still. Softer with much less punch on the palate, this is still a lovely wine but maybe with less shine and the pepper is now less forward, coming more around the edges. Slightly more tart red berries mid palate with a little nuttiness.

+4 days

Faded but that's definitely user-error, I should have finished this off much sooner but I was intrigued to see how it progressed. Lesson learned! Still enjoyable but not a patch on its peak.