NV Quevedo White Reserve

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

NV Quevedo White Reserve

Post by akzy »

Tasted on 30/07/20 as part of the Quevedo white port tasting hosted by Oscar Quevedo, the BFT and VWP.

A pale amber colour in the glass, maybe 20% opacity. On the nose greeted by the lovely smell of candied cashews from christmas markets with the faintest note of palma violets (I know, palma violets in a white port?). In the mouth, it was surprisingly soft and nowhere near the acidity I expected - it has a little heat on the end which nicely lingered.
The food pairing suggested by Quevedo was melon and prosciutto. No need for the melon as this was highly pronounced in the port itself.

I was really quite surprised by this very well balanced (and priced) white port.

15/20.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: NV Quevedo white reserve

Post by JacobH »

Notes: About 8 years’ old. Colour: clear amber / orange. Subdued nose: some oxidised components and a distant orange peel. Quite sweet in the mouth but not too cloying. Incredible flavour of bitter oranges and orange peel. Almost like a liqueur! Limited acidity with long aftertaste containing more oranges. A few tannins left. Really excellent for an un-aged white.

Tasted at: Quevedo Virtual White Port Tasting

Date: 30th July 2020

Rated*: C

http://www.jacob-head.com/port/records/ ... te_Reserve

* A Note on Ratings

My rating system attempts to answer the question “is this a good Port?” one of three ways: N—No; P—Possibly; or C—Certainly. Ports generally are rated against others of their category. Therefore, a Ruby Port which I rate as C for Certainly good, might not be as good as a Vintage Port which receives the same rating. I sometimes modify my rating with a plus or minus indicating that the Port is better or worse than might be expected for this category.