1970 Quevedo White Colheita (bottled 2019)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

1970 Quevedo White Colheita (bottled 2019)

Post by akzy »

NV/1970 Quevedo very old white
Tasted on 30/07/20 as part of the Quevedo white port tasting hosted by Oscar Quevedo, the BFT and VWP.

This is probably the hardest port to decide the subject name for. The bottle says very old white, yet Oscar, the wooden case and tasting note sheet say 1970. Send help.

Similar opacity to the 30YO (25%) but slightly different hue (I'm colourblind, cant say how it was different but it was!). The nose was an impressive beast bringing christmas spices and nuts - I really didn't expect it to be so pronounced! On to the taste test.

Wow. It was just a lovely port. What can I say? Fine, I'll elaborate. This wine is 50 years old and it punches with a lovely burnt orange peel and nuttiness that was just incredible. Following this I had to rinse my mouth to move onto the 2015 LBV, a very sad time indeed for my taste buds. Clever me however decided to save half of this for future me. My partner, who is currently away, found out about this and threatened things that are not port forum safe for me to mention, if I drank it... I could do the ol' switcheroo?

18.5/20 (I feel this might be my upper limit for white/tawny ports?)
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: NV/1970 Quevedo very old white

Post by JacobH »

Notes: An unofficial colheita which was kept unregistered for private consumption. A true garrafeira! Similar colour to the 10-year-old: amber to brown. The nose is subtle. Some subdued resin, oxidated components and some distant fruit. In the mouth, this has an immediate attractive sweetness that was missing from the 30-year-old. Not much fruit left but good gentle acidity and some orange. The aftertaste is spectacular and infinitely long. An excellent Port.

Tasted at: Quevedo Virtual White Port Tasting

Date: 30th July 2020

Rated*: C

www.jacob-head.com/port/records/tasting ... e_Very Old

* A Note on Ratings

My rating system attempts to answer the question “is this a good Port?” one of three ways: N—No; P—Possibly; or C—Certainly. Ports generally are rated against others of their category. Therefore, a Ruby Port which I rate as C for Certainly good, might not be as good as a Vintage Port which receives the same rating. I sometimes modify my rating with a plus or minus indicating that the Port is better or worse than might be expected for this category.