2016 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

2016 Graham

Post by winesecretary »

PnP from half bottle and then considered over next 90 minutes.

Incredible violet fragrance on decanting.

In glass, completely opaque even at rim. Parma violets on nose. On palate, high density alcoholic currant juice with wonderful smooth texture. Superb balance of fruit and acidity. There are tannins there, but the fruit is so opulent that the tannins do not so much grip, as gently but firmly clasp; and it resolves beautifully into a warm finish over half a minute.

This was my pick of the vintage when I tasted EP, and this revisit confirms that. In a sense it's utterly unready, and it will reach its peak some thirty years hence, but you could actually drink this now with pleasure. As I am doing.

+ 24 hrs

A deep red rim has developed. And, more nose. Candied kumquats, I think, with supporting poached plum and panda licorice. Still exuberantly fruited throughout the palate, perhaps a shade darker in the currant mix than yesterday. Still deliciously balanced.

Consumed 20/07/20 & 21/07/20