Lockdown Drinking

Anything to do with Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Re: Lockdown Drinking

Post by nac »

Slightly different event online from 67 Pall Mall tomorrow at 1800 - a wine quiz hosted by Ronan Sayburn MS.

Have taken part in previous "live" quizzes and were most enjoyable.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I opened a bottle of Samuel Billaud Les Grands Terroirs Les Preuses Chablis Grand Cru 2015. It went superbly with the barbecued turbot we had for dinner that night, landed by a Poole fisherman that morning.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

As someone who h as been locked up for 2 months in New York in heavy quarantine, I've sorted my cellar by cellar tracker and decided a 96 A. Rousseau Gevrey Chambertin was called for.

But I've seen my fellow wine lovers done better. I truly hope everyone is at least opening that nice bottle to enjoy life as it was meant.

Side note, having had a few friends suffer from covid-19 I really hope to join you everybody on the other side of the atlantic sooner rather than later.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
nac
Fonseca 1980

Lockdown Drinking - Virtual Tastings

Post by nac »

A couple more Port related 67 Pall Mall - 67pallmall.com - virtual tastings. Both on 28th June...

Also, mentioned that there might be some tasting packs left from the previous tasting - I was misinformed.

********************************************************************************************************************

A life in the Douro
28/06/2020 - 12:00 BST

After a long career making wine and port in the Douro, Paul Symington will be in conversation with Richard Hemming MW about its past, present and future – while tasting some of the Symington Group’s best wines.

Paul Symington is the former chairman of his family company, The Symington Family Estates, which comprises of Graham’s, Dow’s, Warre’s, Quinta do Versuvio and the family’s extraordinary Douro DOC wines, including the Chryseia, a joint venture with Bruno Prats.

Described by Jancis Robinson MW as “one of the luminaries of the wine world”, Paul has received many of the wine world’s highest awards including Decanter Man of the Year 2012 and Lifetime Achievement Award Institute of Masters of Wine 2019. Born and raised in the Douro Valley, Paul is the fourth generation of Symingtons to produce wine in the Douro after his great-grandfather first emigrated to Portugal in 1882.

This really is an unmissable opportunity to meet and hear the great stories of the Douro from one of the wine world’s most respected names.

Wine Samples:
2019 Altano Douro White
2016 Quinta Do Vesuvio Pombal do Vesuvio
2015 Quinta do Vesuvio Douro
2017 Quinta da Fonte Souto
NV Graham’s 20-Year-Old Tawny
2006 Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos

Delivered to the UK £65
Delivered to EU £75

To join the online classes, simply click on the link 5 minutes ahead of the Masterclass.

https://zoom.us/j/652338194

********************************************************************************************************************

Quinta do Noval
28/06/2020 - 16:00 BST

Quinta do Noval is an historic name with an iconic status in the world of wine, located in the heart of the Douro Valley where great wines have been made since the early 18th century. The vines are perfectly situated along a steep hillside in the heart of the Douro Valley where they flourish and produce the highest-grade fruit.

Quinta do Noval made its name with the declaration of the 1931 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port, and the 1931 Quinta do Noval Naçional Vintage Port. Due to the global depression and the enormous production and shipment of the 1927 vintage, it was one of only three shippers declared in 1931. Subsequently, its name was widely established throughout the British and American markets.

Christian has many years of experience in the Douro Valley, having been the Managing Director of Quinta do Noval since 1993, when the estate became part of the AXA Millésimes viticultural group. Christian will take us through a presentation of Quinta do Noval and its terroir, grape varieties and the sought-after Ports that we will be tasting.

Wine Samples:
2017 Quinta do Noval
2011 Quinta do Noval
2003 Quinta do Noval
2000 Quinta do Noval
1994 Quinta do Noval
1966 Quinta do Noval

Delivered to the UK £115
Delivered to EU £125

To join the online classes, simply click on the link 5 minutes ahead of the Masterclass.

https://zoom.us/j/652338194