Niepoort´s port 1957 for sell

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
CPTPOUPAS
Cruz Ruby

Niepoort´s port 1957 for sell

Post by CPTPOUPAS »

Hello
I have a bottle of Niepoort´s port 1957 to sell. I live in Newton Abbot, Devon in England and i have the bottle stored in my basement in a cupboard with another bottles. When i search online for selling prices between £350 and £550 (i found higher but i presume that is more difficult to get).
I ask, please, help with how much i can sell this for and where i can sell the Port.
Thank you in advance for your help and advice
Attachments
bottle resized.jpg
bottle resized.jpg (55.05 KiB) Viewed 8120 times
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Niepoort´s port 1957 for sell

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome.

I’ve no interest in this bottle, but I’ll make a helpful observation. The prices you’ve quoted are the optimistic prices at which some wine merchants hope to sell. Which can be far above any measure of a fair achievable price. Which, for this, I’d expect to be high double-digits.
CPTPOUPAS
Cruz Ruby

Post by CPTPOUPAS »

jdaw1 wrote: 00:23 Thu 07 Nov 2019 Hello and welcome.

I’ve no interest in this bottle, but I’ll make a helpful observation. The prices you’ve quoted are the optimistic prices at which some wine merchants hope to sell. Which can be far above any measure of a fair achievable price. Which, for this, I’d expect to be high double-digits.
Thank you for the information. But i expect a little bit more than that.
Any advice for a place where i can try sell it??
Thank you for help
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I think you may do a little better than jdaw's estimate, though not hugely unless you are just lucky.

Bottles of the same wine in similar condition have sold at auction for between £120 and £220 over the last couple of years (noting prices were inflated during 2017 for '57s due to anniversaries), which after auction house fees might net you £95-175 (I'd aim for 120, hope for 150).

I would suggest wineauctioneer.com or similar as a potential route for you to sell the bottle if you do not have a suitable auction house near your location. Good luck with whichever route you choose.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

CPTPOUPAS wrote:

Thank you for help
Expect and what you get are two different things. You’ve come to a place with people very knowledgeable in prices in their area of old Ports. Take their advice or why even ask.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I have also just noticed a bottle of Niepoort '57 colheita at Charterhouse auctions next week; I can't see the bottling date, but from labelling it looks more recent, which would make it slightly more valuable also. Their estimate is 60-100 (hammer, so subtract ~20% fees for what the seller might receive; actual % or cost varies by auction house); it might be worth seeing what it actually goes for as further guidance for a realistically achievable price.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

CPTPOUPAS wrote: 22:52 Thu 07 Nov 2019

Thank you for help
As a general rule of thumb, you should expect no more than 50% of the going retail price when you sell via a private transaction in the UK. As JDAW1 said, the prices you've quoted are actually on the high end. A quick search on winesearcher.com shows that the going rate is closer to £300 - £320. 50% of that might yield £150 - £160 in a private sale. Auction prices are generally even lower than that, so savvy buyers frequent auctions to find the best deals.

When looking at prices online you must remember that those prices are for bottles that have not sold. The going rate is therefore usually at or slightly below the lowest stable price you'll find via an internet search. Retailers often put "trophy prices" on bottles to attract attention, but they do not actually expect the bottles to sell for that price.
Glenn Elliott