Port Vintages: Addendum

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Port Vintages: Addendum

Post by jdaw1 »

Since publishing Port Vintages late in 2018, omissions have been discovered, and readers have sent more information. An Addendum, or at least a draft of one, has been written.

There are two versions: Addendum_Printable.pdf is a 31 megabyte files with pictures at full resolution — use for printing; whereas Addendum_LowResolution.pdf is only 3.3 megabytes and intended for screens.

Currently the existence of the Addendum is is being broadcast only to my friends on ThePortForum.com, in the hope that their comments might improve the document before it reaches a wider audience. Later it will be announced to the mailing list, and elsewhere.

Comments welcomed; actionable comments even more so.

Thank you.

— JDAW.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Port Vintages: Addendum

Post by akzy »

Could I request that the addendum also be in a form of page additions as opposed to one whole document? For instance, separating suppliers such that the page could be added just into that section. Also might be necessary to separate by age for some of the longer supplier sections. I suspect the addition of 28 pages in and around this behemoth will do little to effect the physical structure over time.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by akzy »

akzy wrote: 22:35 Thu 19 Sep 2019 Also might be necessary to separate by age for some of the longer supplier sections.
On second thought, I think this is a terrible idea.
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

Regarding the Fonseca Guimaerens 1947 VP. Some years ago I bought 3 bottles. I've still got them (haven't opened one yet).

I shall look up where I bought them, and send some pictures if to JDAW.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The preface to Port Vintages hinted that there might be a publication of additions and errata. And some readers have attentively studied the whole book, a mere 390k words, and sent such corrections. So an Addendum is now published.

Links: I suggest waiting a week before printing, until Sun 20th Oct 2019, to allow time for any further comment and corrections (the first draft was posted on ThePortForum; this is also being shown to FTLOP).

But further data is welcomed, whether sooner or later. Please do send any extra material, comment, criticism, unbridled praise, and — most important — invitations to taste Dow 1878.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Don’t print yet. Further data is about to come. (It never finishes.)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello lovers of Vintage Port, and readers of Port Vintages.

It has been awhile, and I’m happy to tell you of some good news.

As you doubtless recall, Port Vintages has an Addendum, with information newly come to light, and also repairing errors (the errors being much regretted). This is all in the Addendum, which has been updated. Hurray! The Addendum can be downloaded from www.jdawiseman.com/PortVintages/Port_Vi ... endum.html.

Please print onto acid-free paper, and enclose in the book.

Of course, even more information would be welcomed.

Enjoy it. Enjoy it with a glass. Stuff and nonsense to the self-restraint: enjoy it with a decanter. At least one.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Thanks very much for this! (A whole decanter might be a bit much for a Monday night but I am certainly enjoying it with a glass).

I’m not sure if here is the right place to ask but can I ask for some more information about the Constantino vintages? I have always really liked their labels (with the “Co” ligature in “Constantino’s” and the “Op” in “Oporto”, together with the epsilon-shaped “e” in “Vintage” on some of them). Do you know if they were used all the way through to the final vintages? One day I might buy one “for the label” and would be a bit sad if they rebranded in 1968 just before giving up on the brand.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote: 21:22 Mon 19 Oct 2020I’m not sure if here is the right place to ask but can I ask for some more information about the Constantino vintages?
I have not stinted my readers on information, nor pictures. What I have, has been shown.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

That's fair enough. Thanks again for the Addendum. Now just to find someone who still owns a colour printer!
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

@ JacobH - property lawyers...
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

winesecretary wrote: 08:18 Tue 20 Oct 2020 @ JacobH - property lawyers...
Thanks! This reminds me that my chambers’ printers will do high-quality colour. Although, based on previous experience, I am not sure if it is possible to print anything on them without strictly complying with Sedley’s Law of Documents...
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

@jdaw1 - Thank you once again for this document, it is much appreciated and I have forwarded the link to the two people to whom I gave copies of The Book. I read it last night with some of a slightly disappointing Cockburn Crusting, bottled 1978.
slateshalehead
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by slateshalehead »

Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of where (if anywhere) the original book can still be purchased?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

slateshalehead wrote: 16:07 Tue 20 Oct 2020 Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of where (if anywhere) the original book can still be purchased?
I believe the only place it could ever be purchased was from jdaw1 directly.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

slateshalehead wrote: 16:07 Tue 20 Oct 2020Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of where (if anywhere) the original book can still be purchased?
Sold out. Sorry — just not available.

There are background noises of a second edition, including the Addendum. So far these are merely background noises. But just in case, subscribe to the mailing list via PortVintages.com.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

winesecretary wrote: 10:50 Tue 20 Oct 2020I read it last night with some of a slightly disappointing Cockburn Crusting, bottled 1978.
Unacceptable. Try again. Re-read it with a better bottle.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote: 22:38 Tue 20 Oct 2020
winesecretary wrote: 10:50 Tue 20 Oct 2020I read it last night with some of a slightly disappointing Cockburn Crusting, bottled 1978.
Unacceptable. Try again. Re-read it with a better bottle.
I’ve been reading it with a bottle of Graham 1963 (Grants of St James bottling). It’s a much better read.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Julian - I’ve got a PDF version which I’m reading on my screen, but it’s lacking that lovely tactile-ness of a book.

Is there any chance of you offering this in printed and bound format (for an appropriate but not excessive fee)?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

AHB wrote: 23:04 Tue 20 Oct 2020 Is there any chance of you offering this in printed and leather-bound format (for an appropriate but not excessive fee)?
FTFY
Glenn Elliott
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

You are probably talking thesis-binding rates for small runs, so circa fifty quid a copy...

... leather-bound extra.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

One small addition that would be welcome, a job that used to be regarded in the publishing world as the most tedious of all chores, but for which there is probably now some very clever software; is a master index, giving the page numbers where every proper noun appears.

If you do a second ed. I'll also take the leather bound version thanks!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

jdaw1 wrote: 19:19 Tue 20 Oct 2020
slateshalehead wrote: 16:07 Tue 20 Oct 2020Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of where (if anywhere) the original book can still be purchased?
Unsurprisingly no second hand copies available on eBay or Amazon.
Plenty of copies of JDAW's magnum opus, "The Pig: A British History" though.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

nac wrote: 15:31 Wed 21 Oct 2020
This is JDAW's previously published work. The books about pigs and other animals are by a different JW.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: RE: Re: Port Vintages: Addendum

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:
nac wrote: 15:31 Wed 21 Oct 2020
This is JDAW's previously published work. The books about pigs and other animals are by a different JW.
That's what he would have you believe. Have you ever seen both JWs in the same room together?