2007 Marks and Spencer

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

2007 Marks and Spencer

Post by winesecretary »

80% opaque with a slight haze. Young, full throated, spirity port with lots of liquorice on the mid-palate. Warm, longish finish. Tasted blind, and fooled by the spirity quality, I thought this might be a Taylor VP. So, pretty good stuff if you can get it. 21/05/19.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: 2007 Marks and Spencer

Post by winesecretary »

Now that I have got my hands on some bottles of this, I find from the back label that the grapes were selected by David Guimaraens and Natasha Bridge blended it, so the similarity in style to Taylor VP is explained...
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: 2007 Marks and Spencer

Post by rich_n »

I finally decided to get into my stash after the madness of the M&S raids earlier in the year. This is a lovely port, not hugely complex but very enjoyable and easy drinking. Quite a spirity nose with some hints of cherry, but opens up much more on the palate with a dominant strawberry note backed by redcurrants and as noted in the prior tasting notes here a decent chunk of liquorice in the mid-palate. Plenty of spice throughout and a warm but not overly long finish.

I shall certainly enjoy a fair few bottles of this and will continue to delight in whatever unfathomable decision making led to the £6 a bottle price point!