Sell collection

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
gomberg
Cruz Ruby

Sell collection

Post by gomberg »

I have the following (I think this is accurate):
Yr Maker Bottles Retail (1.16.19) WineBid.com
63 Graham 0+2 375 750 285
63 Taylor 0+1 300 300 270
70 Taylor 2+7 220 1980 155
77 Taylor 4+2 165 990 145
77 Graham 0+3 120 360
77 Fonseca 5+3 200 1600 175
77 Smith Woodhouse 15+0 100 1500 70
90 Graham 0+2 100 200 60
94 Dow 1.5 0+2 190 380 145
94 Graham 0+6 90 540 65
Retail is the cheapest US seller (not auction).
WineBid is what they want the auction reserve to be.
All bottles but one have good labels, one is torn some, but I think it can be "restored".
I have owned all since original purchase, usually from a direct importer.
I believe all have high shoulder/low neck fills, but I can check if you are interested in a particular bottle.
Stored in a below-grade cellar, on their sides, labels up.
If you are interested in any let me know what you are thinking.
I have gotten a bid for the whole thing at about 80% of retail.
gomberg
Cruz Ruby

Re: Sell collection

Post by gomberg »

PS: I am in San Francisco, California
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

I would be interested but to be honest I would jump on the offer you have for 80% retail. I would be a buyer at at about 50- 60% of your retail price.
Also check out winesearcher as your retail numbers are off. For instance the Graham 63 is available at retail for 275, 283 and 296.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

gomberg wrote: 03:40 Mon 21 Jan 2019I have gotten a bid for the whole thing at about 80% of retail.
Four-fifths of retail is a good bid, unlikely to be bettered here. I advise accepting, quickly.
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

That’s a great offer someone has made to you. If you know the person then go for it as you are confident about the condition etc. You are getting a great deal but Sonia he/she (no commissions). I buy most of my port at auction, mostly seen and examined, and most have worked out at about half retail, but add in commissions of sometimes as much as 25% and you are close to 80% of retail.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

If someone has offered you 80% of retail, take it. You won't do any better in a private sale here in the states.
gomberg
Cruz Ruby

Post by gomberg »

Actually the offer is from a highly regarded local retailer, I can drive the wines to him. I guess I better take it.
gomberg
Cruz Ruby

Post by gomberg »

Different Dave, according to wine-searcher, cheapest retailer in US is $375
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

gomberg wrote: 20:17 Thu 24 Jan 2019 Different Dave, according to wine-searcher, cheapest retailer in US is $375
Cellarraiders are listing a bottle for £210, roughly $280. If you’re being offered 80% of the retail prices you have quoted, I would take it!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
gomberg
Cruz Ruby

Post by gomberg »

Deal is almost done. Will post an update in a week or two. I think you guys will be surprised.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

gomberg wrote: 02:05 Wed 06 Feb 2019 Deal is almost done. Will post an update in a week or two. I think you guys will be surprised.
I would not be the least bit surprised if a local retailer who presumably at least knows you in passing is willing to pay more than anonymous people on an internet website. Even a slight relationship is worth a significant amount in an internet purchase.

That said, if you've received an 80% of retail offer - especially if you're talking the retail prices that you've posted - you should absolutely jump on it and take the offer. I've purchased some of those Ports from internet retailers in the US over the last few years for less than 80% of what you've posted as the current retail price. 80% of those prices is a pretty incredible offer for you.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I'll be honest to say that I'm curious as to the retail shop who's willing to offer 80% wine searcher average prices.
Here in NY, you'll usually look for 60-70% wine-searcher low.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
gomberg
Cruz Ruby

Post by gomberg »

OK, here is how it worked out. K&L Wines paid $6800 for the 54 bottles.
That is about 82% of the lowest US retail (non-EU, non-auction) and about 35% less than I expect they will sell them for.
They have a pretty good rep, so they can ask a bit more than other retailers. And they are local to me, so that is worth something.
Thanks for your interest. Obviously I was not looking for someone who was bottom fishing. Seems like there are a lot of folks
like that on the forum.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

gomberg wrote: 21:36 Mon 11 Feb 2019Obviously I was not looking for someone who was bottom fishing. Seems like there are a lot of folks like that on the forum.
As far as I can see no one on this forum has been in any way disrespectful to you. Your comments above are unnecessary.

I refer you to Rule 1, which is essentially "Be nice".

DRT (Admin)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: RE: Re: Sell collection

Post by PhilW »

gomberg wrote:OK, here is how it worked out. K&L Wines paid $6800 for the 54 bottles.
That is about 82% of the lowest US retail (non-EU, non-auction) and about 35% less than I expect they will sell them for.
They have a pretty good rep, so they can ask a bit more than other retailers. And they are local to me, so that is worth something.
Thanks for your interest.
Thanks for updating us; always interesting to hear how these things turn out.
gomberg wrote:Obviously I was not looking for someone who was bottom fishing. Seems like there are a lot of folks
like that on the forum.
Not really. Also the majority of this forum are UK/EU-based.

Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

gomberg wrote: 21:36 Mon 11 Feb 2019 OK, here is how it worked out. K&L Wines paid $6800 for the 54 bottles.
Indeed, K&L has a good reputation. They also have a reputation for being a bit on the expensive side. I've bought from them before and have been very happy with my purchases, but their prices are not normally competitive.

I'd say you got a very good deal, and I'm honestly surprised that you got it from a store as large as K&L.
Thanks for your interest. Obviously I was not looking for someone who was bottom fishing. Seems like there are a lot of folks
like that on the forum.
We all told you that 80% of retail is an excellent offer that you should take. How is that bottom fishing?

It is not normal to get 80% of retail in a private transaction. In the UK it's closer to 50-60%. In the US you might get lucky and get 70%, but I'd say 60-65% is more normal. That's just the nature of private transactions, because the buyer has virtually no recourse if the items purchased turn out to be defective.

As is often the case, your expectations were optimistic. Be happy that you found a large store willing to pay you as much as they did, because you were unlikely to get that much anywhere else including an auction.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

You came to us seeking a higher bid than an excellent bid. Well, sure, the desire is understandable, even if rather unrealistic.

Instead you were given advice that was honest, excellent, and free. The correct response would have been a little polite gratitude. Only a little, but more than none.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

gomberg wrote: 21:36 Mon 11 Feb 2019 OK, here is how it worked out. K&L Wines paid $6800 for the 54 bottles.
like that on the forum.
Thank you for letting us know how things turned out. Only by hearing stories like this one can we stay in touch with how the market for older Port is changing. You were offered a good price, which we consistently advised you was a good price, and you accepted it. That's how markets work - a willing buyer offers a price which a willing seller accepts. You found a buyer who was willing and able to offer you a better price than we were able o offer.

I paid GBP 75 per bottle (just under USD 100) last time I bought Graham 1963. That's the market I am able to buy in. That's why I told you the offer you had was one you would be wise to accept. If my maths is right, K&L paid you 80% of $375 = $300 for your bottles.

Maybe I should be arbitraging Port from the UK to New York...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by akzy »

AHB wrote: 10:34 Wed 13 Feb 2019
I paid GBP 75 per bottle (just under USD 100) last time I bought Graham 1963. That's the market I am able to buy in.

Wow. I think I've got some learning to do.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

akzy wrote: 11:22 Wed 13 Feb 2019
AHB wrote: 10:34 Wed 13 Feb 2019
I paid GBP 75 per bottle (just under USD 100) last time I bought Graham 1963. That's the market I am able to buy in.

Wow. I think I've got some learning to do.
To be fair, AHB has been consistent in telling us that he has not been buying any Port for at least ten years but I do know he keeps an eye on the market just in case something interesting turns up.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote: 10:34 Wed 13 Feb 2019 I paid GBP 75 per bottle (just under USD 100) last time I bought Graham 1963. That's the market I am able to buy in. That's why I told you the offer you had was one you would be wise to accept. If my maths is right, K&L paid you 80% of $375 = $300 for your bottles.

I stocked up on a case of 63's 2 months ago in NY, I will add that prices are more inline with what the fellow forumites here are expecting.

And being in the distribution market in NY, it's very unlikely you'd be offered enough to make it worth your while =) It would appear the most prudent advice is to take a trip out to sunny California and enjoy the nice weather.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

g-man wrote: 22:03 Thu 14 Feb 2019 And being in the distribution market in NY, it's very unlikely you'd be offered enough to make it worth your while =) It would appear the most prudent advice is to take a trip out to sunny California and enjoy the nice weather.
Or go into business with me, as I have easy access to West coast markets. ;-)
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote: 20:12 Sat 16 Feb 2019
g-man wrote: 22:03 Thu 14 Feb 2019 And being in the distribution market in NY, it's very unlikely you'd be offered enough to make it worth your while =) It would appear the most prudent advice is to take a trip out to sunny California and enjoy the nice weather.
Or go into business with me, as I have easy access to West coast markets. ;-)
too bad we don't have a national alcohol control board, having to know the individual laws in all 50 states can be quite daunting.
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

I have been asked to rephrase my earlier post. So here goes: I think you’ve got a cheek considering the time and effort members of this forum took in answering your query. Perhaps on reflection you might reconsider your remarks.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Justin K wrote: 14:41 Sat 23 Feb 2019 I have been asked to rephrase my earlier post. So here goes: I think you’ve got a cheek considering the time and effort members of this forum took in answering your query. Perhaps on reflection you might reconsider your remarks.
Your original post did bring a chuckle though :lol: