2004 Marquis des Beys

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2004 Marquis des Beys

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This was a new wine to me, from the Bekaa Valley but unlike Musar this is a Bordeaux blend. This particular wine was suggested to me as something different yet traditional by the owner of the wine shop "Eton Bridge Wines" in Eton. Well worth the £25 asking price.

Still powerful and full of dirty cherry fruit, the tannins are all encompassing yet are ripe so release quickly. Great mouthfeel and texture with the predominant flavours being the cherry fruit, which also dominate the nose. This is a big and burly wine, masculine and swaggering yet with a little refined polish to the edges. The aftertaste is amazing, with at least 4 different layers of flavour. Terrific wine for lovers of serious claret. 95/100. 2 May 2017.

I really wish I'd bought the case!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 2004 Marquis des Beys

Post by PhilW »

Sounds really intriguing. A quick search reveals only 2009+ availability from merchants online. Sounds like a return trip could be in order?