Better corkscrews

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Better corkscrews

Post by jdaw1 »

I’m planning investigating the cost of having made some corkscrews optimised for vintage port. Please, your help is needed. Every time you open a bottle of port, carefully measure the length of the cork and the inner width of the neck of the bottle. Report in this thread those two linear dimensions (millimetres very much preferred), and the name and vintage of the port.

Thank you.
John Danza
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by John Danza »

After years of breaking port corks, and not liking the port tongs idea, I looked far and wide for a screwpull-like corkscrew that would have a worm long enough to fully penetrate the cork before it started to lift it from the bottle. It took a couple of years, but I finally found one in a wine shop in Michigan. I never heard of the brand, and unfortunately didn't record the name, but it was constructed in a way that I could modify it for my purpose. It's worked perfectly for me.

Some photos of the corkscrew are below. I added the white plastic spacers in order to lengthen the run the cork has when it's exiting the bottle neck. Because of the length of the worm, the worm has completely penetrated the cork before it starts to lift out, so the cork doesn't split in half. Due to the plastic spacers, there's enough room where the cork has completely left the neck of the bottle before it reaches the top of the corkscrew, so I don't have to wiggle the cork out the last fraction of an inch, which would cause breakage. The modifications were a no-brainer, which they would have to be because I am very unmechanical.

Julian, I hope this helps with direction on your project.

All the best,
John Danza

uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I now use the Screwpull Sommelier, which is the best corkscrew I've found to date, but not for the younger bottles, as I'm afraid of breaking it on a very tight cork.

Some design thoughts:

1) Consider using a coiled flat blade rather than a round wire - less damage to the cork.

2) Consider have more spirals than is conventional, to maximise grip on the cork, and minimise the risk of pushing the cork into the bottle through a shallower angle of attack.

3) Consider using a sprung coil that is contained within a tube as it is offered up to the top of the bottle, and then expands to press against the glass as it goes down inside the bottle. This might damage the branding a little, but should minimise the likelihood of cork breakage.

Although corkscrews are modest gadgets, don't underestimate the engineering costs of developing a new device...!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Corkscrew: ideas for improvements

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:I now use the Screwpull Sommelier, which is the best corkscrew I've found to date, but not for the younger bottles, as I'm afraid of breaking it on a very tight cork.
I am also a fan of Screwpull, though I’m not sure which models I have.
uncle tom wrote:1) Consider using a coiled flat blade rather than a round wire - less damage to the cork.
Very difficult to make a blade sufficiently rigid (unless I’ve misunderstood).
uncle tom wrote:2) Consider have more spirals than is conventional, to maximise grip on the cork, and minimise the risk of pushing the cork into the bottle through a shallower angle of attack.
Interesting idea. I was going for a spiral both wider and longer — hence the above requests for measurements.
uncle tom wrote:3) Consider using a sprung coil that is contained within a tube as it is offered up to the top of the bottle, and then expands to press against the glass as it goes down inside the bottle. This might damage the branding a little, but should minimise the likelihood of cork breakage.
Oooh, tricky. The spiral will have to exit its bind at the top of the cork. That will make it much trickier to use. Hmmm. Will think about it.
uncle tom wrote:Although corkscrews are modest gadgets, don't underestimate the engineering costs of developing a new device...!
I’m just gathering data and ideas, and perhaps presuming that TPFers would be willing guinea pigs.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Pocas 1991

Length: 38mm
Girth: 18mm
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Croft cork lengths

Post by jdaw1 »

Length, Bottle inner diameter:
  • Croft 1970 magnum: 50, 18;
  • Croft 1966: 55, ?;
  • Croft 1963: 55, ?;
  • Croft 1960: 50, ?;
  • Croft 1955: 50, ?;
  • Croft 1945: 50, 20;
  • Croft 1935: 55, ?;
  • Croft 1927: 55, ?;
  • Croft 1924: 55, ?;
  • Croft 1920: 40, ?;
  • Croft 1917: 50, 19;
  • Croft 1912: 53, 22;
  • Croft 1896: 50, ?.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Graham 1985 cork length of 42mm and inner diameter of bottle neck was 17mm.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I got given a Rabbit-a-like for Christmas and failed to use it for well over a month (unlike me with a new toy). I've tried it on some cheap plonk and it works wonderfully well: clamp it to the bottle; pull the lever down into the cork; pull the lever up to remove cork; Down and up to get cork off the screw. Easy.

I don't like the fact that the screw goes all the way through the cork so I will try to be a bit more subtle.

As far as Port is concerned this maybe interesting with a dodgy cork. I suspect that it may require even more subtlety or may just push the cork in. I will get back to you when I try.
Port is basically a red drink
John Danza
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by John Danza »

KillerB wrote:I don't like the fact that the screw goes all the way through the cork so I will try to be a bit more subtle.
In my experience, and looking at it from a physics perspective, I think completely penetrating the cork is the only way for a corkscrew to sucessfully remove a port cork. If the entire cork isn't being lifted at one time by the worm, the narrow top part of the cork is trying to pull up on the flared bottom part of the cork, resulting in a split. The cork just isn't strong enough to not shear in two under the pressure of the flared bottom trying to compress down to get out of the narrow neck. Remember, the necks of port bottles are shaped pretty much like the necks of champagne bottles. They are narrower at the top.

Is the real answer to this dilema to petition the port producers to start corking the way champagne producers do, with an extra inch of cork above the bottle for us to grab and pull?
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

John Danza wrote:Is the real answer to this dilema to petition the port producers to start corking the way champagne producers do, with an extra inch of cork above the bottle for us to grab and pull?
Isn't that what a 'T' cork is really?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

wouldn’t help with vintages from the early 1800s to present

Post by jdaw1 »

John Danza wrote:Is the real answer to this dilema to petition the port producers to start corking the way champagne producers do, with an extra inch of cork above the bottle for us to grab and pull?
No. That would affect new bottles, but wouldn’t help with vintages from the early 1800s to present. For those vintages I want a better corkscrew. (For the rest of my life all 2006+ vintages will be young wines, drawable with a poor corkscrew.)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Graham's 1975: L48-G18.5

Gould Campbell 1991: L37-G18
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1970 measurements

Post by jdaw1 »

Many broken corks, so most of these measurements are of the bottle necks’ inner girth.

1970 Graham’s G20 L54
1970 Taylor Vargellas G19
1970 Quinta do Cachão G19
1970 Taylor G19
1970 Nacional G19
1970 Noval G20
1970 Niepoort G18
1970 Kopke G20
1970 Santos Junior magnum G18
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I still have the corks and some bottles from many offlines, including The F-Plan, The Up-North 1985 Horizontal and The Deeper Underground 1966 Horizontal. When I have time I will dig them out and post them here.

I also have a large box full of corks. Are cork lengths any good to you without inner bottle girths? If so you can have many lengths posted here.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Corks lengths

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:I also have a large box full of corks. Are cork lengths any good to you without inner bottle girths? If so you can have many lengths posted here.
Yes. What I need is a reasonable estimate of the 99th percentile cork length (i.e., the longest or near-longest lengths used in practice), and the narrowest inner bottle diameters.

Old corks might have shrunk a little, so if one of your dried out things is the record holder, I might have to add a guesstimated couple of millimetres to it.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I had this idea a drunken while back.

What you have is a thin hollow tube
and inside this tube, you put two tongs
where if you push on a top lever,
the two tongs would extend out from the bottom of the hollow tube and "fan" out below the cork.

you would then be able to just lift the whole cork without even having to worry about pulling it half way deep and ripping the cork.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Hollow tube? How big?

Post by jdaw1 »

This resembles Sean’s and Moses’ idea. Hollow tube? How big? Big enough to store a ‘fan’ in it, so 3mm internal diameter, say. Robust enough to be pushed through a cork—no, through a thousand corks—without damage, so quick a thick casing. Are we seeing an engineering problem yet?

I just don’t think it can be made, and made strong enough, and thin enough, and made for less than $1000+. Sorry.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Hollow tube? How big?

Post by g-man »

jdaw1 wrote:This resembles Sean’s and Moses’ idea. Hollow tube? How big? Big enough to store a ‘fan’ in it, so 3mm internal diameter, say. Robust enough to be pushed through a cork—no, through a thousand corks—without damage, so quick a thick casing. Are we seeing an engineering problem yet?

I just don’t think it can be made, and made strong enough, and thin enough, and made for less than $1000+. Sorry.
what's a few thousand amongst a few port lovers? actually one of the coolest openers i've seen was at a winery at napa.

Their opener was a needle that went through the cork and shot compressed air popping out the cork

so the way it worked was you put the bottle all the way in so the needle goes past the cork. push compress air in and when you move the bottle downwards the cork will just stay on the needle to be extracted later.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/win ... orce.shtml

with link
John Danza
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: Hollow tube? How big?

Post by John Danza »

g-man wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Their opener was a needle that went through the cork and shot compressed air popping out the cork
That's assuming the bottle doesn't explode, which has been known to happen on more than a few occassions with these openers. Definitely not for use with bottles 50+ years old.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I used one of those compressed air/needle things at a friends last night. I would not be comfortable using that on an old bottle. Modern glass maybe, as long as there was no flaws in the glass...but no way to tell until it explodes.

So until something better comes out, i'll stick to tongs or an Ah-So on those old bottles. They really are quite easy once you've done it a couple of times.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I had a pump-action needle thingy once. No idea what happened to it, but I tried it on a semi-sparkling one once: that was amusing.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm sure I remember that Uncle Tom tried making his own gas pressure cork remover a couple of years ago with explosive results :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I forgot to measure the cork I drew out of the Marks & Spencer 1989 Vintage Port before I threw it away, but it was not a long cork by any means.

The inner diameter of the bottle neck was 19mm.

Alex

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Opened a bottle of Churchill's 1985 VP this morning (courtesy of JDAW). Cork was 51mm long and the inner diameter of the neck was 19mm.

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Taylor's 1985

L: 48mm
G: 18mm
Ernest H. Cockburn