Range of Port for sale...

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Range of Port for sale...

Post by nac »

Thought I'd share this as it might be of general interest...

The trading function within the WineOwners.com platform has a collection of Port for sale, apparently mostly purchased at original release & stored with the wine merchant ever since.

I've just taken delivery of a case of Dow 70 from this collection. The case had never been opened & the bottles had the original straw wrappers. Labels were OK & the levels into neck.

There's a whole case of Graham 70, odd bottles of Dow 55 & 63, Warre 60 & 63, and 6 bottles of Noval 63 still available.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Range of Port for sale...

Post by jdaw1 »

nac wrote:The trading function within the WineOwners.com platform
User-unfriendly website. Before starting, brace yourselves.

It even demands that those registering give an address — presumably so that its data is a bigger prize for hackers (will the hackers think that Buckingham Palace is my real address?). And, my having got in, it’s difficult to use. Sigh.
nickma
Cruz Ruby

Post by nickma »

We love feedback at Wine Owners, but it's a small shame that jdaw1 chooses to rain on nac's parade.

Nac bought a wonderful case of Port on the exchange, at a good price for what was absolutely pristine condition, and had never been opened still with the original straw in the wooden case. How do I know? He kindly fed back his happiness with the trade to us directly.

He was also very kindly pointing out to other Port lovers here on this forum that there's another case of Grahams 1970 (as it turns out from the same seller) in the same lovely unopened condition, having been stored in a reputable Uk bonded warehouse since first release.

jdaw chose to register to trade with a fake address on the basis of which we couldn't approve him for trading rights.

By the way, if he had not chosen to trade, but to purely use us for collection management, we wouldn't have asked for an address.

This is what we said:
We wrote:Dear Jxxxxx

Please may I ask that for a trading application on the Wine Owners trading exchange, you provide your home address where you are registered to vote.

This information is held securely, the platform is subject to rigorous penetration testing as well as the usual security measures, to protect your personal data.

As we run a secure market, we do iD check new applications, that together with assured processes designed to protect counter-parties throughout a peer to peer transaction, serve to protect your interests.

You can provide this information by return of email or update your personal information online by clicking on your username in the site header.

Many thanks for registering with Wine Owners, and I hope you enjoy use of the platform.

Kind regards,

Nick
This is the response I received back:
Jxxxxx wrote:No doubt as securely as the US government’s Office of Personnel Management.

You will be hacked, with probability 1. If you don’t believe that, then you are even more vulnerable than I assumed. If you do, you’ll understand my non-enthusiasm.
Each is entitled to his own view, and I fully accept jdaw's decision not to provide address information. However, we are obliged for the benefit of those members who do want to participate, who are prepared to participate in a 2-sided market and appreciate or embrace the idea of protection of counter party interests, to disallow access on this basis.

Regarding 'unfriendly' - I do accept that if you are expecting an online retail experience Wine Owners may not be for you. If you want world class fine wine collection management, lots of supporting information and pricing, and direct access to a secondary market comprised of many millions of dollars of offers to sell and bids to buy - a classic 2 sided exchange - then I think you will enjoy using it a lot. (BTW for the benefit of our American friends, the platform is denominated in Pounds sterling, but a collection management account can be selected in any major currency and trade prices can be seen in other currencies based on daily conversion rates.)

The explanation of how the exchange model works is provided here https://www.wineowners.com/buying-and-selling-wines.

Finally, many thanks for nac for sharing
Last edited by nickma on 19:04 Sat 17 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

nickma wrote:We love feedback at Wine Owners, but it's a small shame that jdaw1 chooses to rain on nac's parade
You obviously didn't welcome Jdaw's feedback. Whilst you make a fair argument for the need to confirm ID addresses for the use of your site, Jdaw was conveying his personal opinion to others on the forum. If you were to read through the 19,000+ posts Jdaw has made on :tpf: since helping establish it almost 10 years ago, I believe you will find him to be painfully fair. I think the nature of your post to be a bit over the top and unnecessary.

Thanks is due to nac for sharing the site and his positive experience. Thanks is also due to you for explaining the user requirements further, but attempting a public dressing down of Jdaw is not proper. I would also suggest that he has visited/used more sites for the procurement of Port than almost anyone, and his opinion of his experience to be very valid. If it were my business I would be more interested in ascertaining why he felt the user experience to be frustrating.

That said, I wish you a Merry Christmas and hope that you find lots of buyers for the fine juice you have available.

Simon
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

OK chaps - I think enough has been said on this matter so can we please get back to enjoying and discussing Port.

I am quite sure Nick and jdaw1 are perfectly capable of discussing their difference of opinion in private and we don't need others piling in.

Rule 1 explains why.

Thanks

DRT (Admin)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
nickma
Cruz Ruby

Post by nickma »

Absolutely, and thank you DRT. jdaw1 and I have indeed continued the conversation privately, and I am appreciative of many of his comments. In fact, when we start refining things in the next quarter or so, we'll definitely look to his feedback. Part of the 'keeping it simple' challenge is running a 2-sided market comprising offers for sale, bids to buy, matching offers to bids and so on, with the counter parties forming the contract between them. For users or members who are less familiar or comfortable with a trading exchange interface, to begin with it's very fair to say it's not the most intuitive and we do want to be able to meet their needs too. In the meantime there are a lot of explanatory pages and videos. Thank you everyone.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thanks, Nick.

Please feel free to come back and let us know when you have updated the site (I am sure Julian will be happy to provide further feedback :D ), and also to come and join us at a Port tasting :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

nickma wrote:I am appreciative of many of his comments.
I sent a link to, but have not asked what Nick thought of, the Plea to the Symingtons.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Many apologies for triggering such a torrent of comments/activity. Really was just trying to share the Port love!

If it matters, I can attest that the wineowners thing does work. I've sold some wine (all Bordeaux) & purchased some wine (all Port) and have received both cash & liquid receipts without any fuss!

That said, if this sort of platform isn't for you, then don't look any...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

nac wrote:Many apologies for triggering such a torrent of comments/activity. Really was just trying to share the Port love!
Sharing Port love good. We love sharing Port love. No apology needed.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I do want to add a comment, and that is to thank both Nick and nac for their posts here. I didn't know about the Wineowners platform and it's good to be aware of an additional route to selling surplus wine.

I also appreciate Nick's response to jdaw1's observations. I now have a rounded view of the wineowner's site's approach to trading.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
nickma
Cruz Ruby

Post by nickma »

This is a cool forum. I didn't know about it until jdaw1 sent me a link. I'm glad to know it.

One thing to let everyone know who registers. You'll receive emails from us for a range of different "events" and notifications based on fine wine generally and activity related to your collection if you use the platform for organising and managing it. These can be switched off or on again via your preferences once logged in - you click on your user name in the header to access them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by nickma on 22:05 Sun 18 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

My apologies to nickma and Jdaw for butting in where not required. Glad you like the forum Nick and I hope to see you at a tasting sometime.

Once again my best wishes for a happy and successful Christmas to all.

Simon
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Now that peace has been restored to this thread I would like to add a worry of my own about 'wine owners'. It's that bloke in the blue scarf. Has he been thrown out of the palatial pile he is pictured in front of with only a glass of wine for company? Is life really that bad? Or am l to surmise that he is merely pensively inspecting his glass? I do not expect answers but sometimes adverts raise as many questions as they answer.