WJ Graham Vintage Port 1970

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
cjhsb
Cruz Ruby

WJ Graham Vintage Port 1970

Post by cjhsb »

Hi all!

I recently discovered that I still had 1 unopened case and 9 bottles in another case of the above mentioned port.

I was lucky enough to be given a few cases as a christening present, and thought I had long ago finished the last bottle off!

Unfortunately, the port has been stored in a garage, and moved twice. On the other hand, the cases I did drink in my early 20s contained very few dud bottles (perhaps 1 a case).

Knowing very little about port, and sadly now neither able to drink it or indeed keep it, I thought I would post here to get any advice regarding where to take it to sell it (if it's even worth selling after it's storage history!) and indeed how much I should be looking to sell them for.

All are currently in a room in my house in London, UK. A couple of photos attached as per the Forum FAQ; any advice would be most welcome!
bottle.JPG
bottle.JPG (168.88 KiB) Viewed 8501 times
cases.jpg
cases.jpg (161.27 KiB) Viewed 8501 times
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: WJ Graham Vintage Port 1970

Post by jdaw1 »

Others will advise on price.

Re delivery, I live in south London, so might be able to assist with the taking possession and subsequent transfer to a buyer (if any).
Monique
Cheap Ruby

Post by Monique »

First of all I want to say that I like you being very honest about the storage! Second I would advise you to open one bottle and see for yourself (or a member of your family, a friend, colleague, neighbor, or whoever) how the wine is drinking. After that you can decide what to do.
After all, you must be in your 40s now, so 20 years of bad storage..... :?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I agree with Monique. Or, since you said that you weren't able to drink port any more you might like to consider selling us a single bottle for a notional amount, which we can then open at one of our offlines.

We'll let you know how it tastes and whether the storage conditions have turned the port into light barley-water rather than the splendid stuff Graham 1970 should be.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
cjhsb
Cruz Ruby

Post by cjhsb »

Thank you all for your advice - it seems very sensible to open a bottle to check it's drinkability and to that end I have invited an old friend around in a few weeks time who knows his port.

I'll let you know whether we just had to open 1 or 18 in the search of a decent drink... :D
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

cjhsb wrote:I have invited an old friend around in a few weeks time who knows his port.
Several of us are old. Several of us have friends. Several of us know something about port. Perhaps you’ve invited one of us. But who?

Not me.
cjhsb
Cruz Ruby

Post by cjhsb »

Ok update as promised...

Invited port enthusiast arrives tomorrow night but I put 3 bottles to stand earlier this week.

Decanted 1 bottle 2 days ago as I read 1970 year needs 2 days to breathe - couldn't stand the wait to tried a glass yesterday despite the fact I'm not supposed to drink it...perfect! Port is so dark I had to shine an I-phone flash through it to see the colour.

Decanted another bottle just now and tried a sip - also absolutely fine (needs to breathe!). 2/2 scored.

Now not going to sell it - assume that my eldest (age 12) will not have vinegar to drink at his 18th if I store it again? If not then my port friend tomorrow may just grab the whole lot - sorry jdaw; many old people, many old friends - but if you'd like a sip you'd be more than welcome just pm me ;)
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glad you're keeping it. And 6-8 hour decant is perfect. 2 days is way too much.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

cjhsb wrote:Decanted 1 bottle 2 days ago as I read 1970 year needs 2 days to breathe - couldn't stand the wait to tried a glass yesterday despite the fact I'm not supposed to drink it...perfect! Port is so dark I had to shine an I-phone flash through it to see the colour.

Decanted another bottle just now and tried a sip - also absolutely fine (needs to breathe!). 2/2 scored.

Now not going to sell it - assume that my eldest (age 12) will not have vinegar to drink at his 18th if I store it again? If not then my port friend tomorrow may just grab the whole lot - sorry jdaw; many old people, many old friends - but if you'd like a sip you'd be more than welcome just pm me ;)
Glad to hear it showed well for you, and that you've decided to keep it. You should have no problem continuing to store it (though somewhere cool and dark with an even temperature would be ideal), and glad it seems to have survived well in your garage to date. Your decant is far longer than needed for a '70, 4-6hr would be fine, perhaps 6-8hr ideal, but yes it would/should then be good for 24-48hr and maybe a little longer. Your only comment of concern was the "needs to breathe"; at 8hr+ in the decanter I would not expect any further breathing needed. Overall sounds like you and your friend should enjoy this bottle tonight, and other bottles in the future; great news :D