Grants of St James's

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
dazman65
Cruz Ruby

Grants of St James's

Post by dazman65 »

Can anyone help me , I have 9 bottles of Fonseca 1966 , 5 bottles of Quinta Do Noval 1966 and 2 bottles of Taylors 1966 all bottled by Grants
of St James's to sell and I'm struggling to find an interested broker/Buyer i've attached some pics .
IMG_3369.jpg
IMG_3369.jpg (181.44 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
IMG_3368.jpg
IMG_3368.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
IMG_3367.jpg
IMG_3367.jpg (222.11 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Grants of St James's

Post by DRT »

Is this more of Uncle Jimmy's Port?

These look perfectly fine to me but if like the others you advetised they were stored in a garage for many years they could very well be spoiled due to heat damage. At the very least the storage condition will severely affect the price, which might be why you are struggling to find a home for them.

Given the number of bottles you have I would suggest opening one in our company at a tasting in London. If it shows well you will no doubt find a buyer for the rest. If it doesn't, you will see why selling has not been easy.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Fills are pretty all over the map which also indicates storage issues. Open one in company of those that know as DRT mentioned. Hope it shows well and you're set. If not you'll know you won't get top dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dazman65
Cruz Ruby

Post by dazman65 »

Thank you for the replies , yes these are more of "Uncle Jimmy's wine " The other bottles are currently on sale through a broker hopefully they will get a good price . Unfortunately I think the Grants of St James's label made these less appealing , although on inspection I think they were happy with the other bottles . I would be happy to open one of these bottles for a taste / quality test if it helped with the sale , how do we instigate this ?
Kind Regards Darren
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hi Darren,

Grants of St James's was a very reputable bottler and should not be a reason for a broker not to take these on. Perhaps they just want to see how the other bottles sell before committing to broking these for you.

We have regular tastings in London so I think the best way to arrange for some of us to taste one of these is for you to keep an eye on this area of the forum and put your name down for a tasting where one of these would fit the theme or begin a new thread with the theme "bring a bottle of port to share" and see who makes themselves available.

Our tasting are generally held on the basis that everyone brings along a bottle at their own cost and we then share the cost of the venue, glasses, food and tip, which normally works out at around £40-£45 each.

I hope you can join us.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn