Julian has Admin rights

Make suggestions and report problems.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Julian has Admin rights

Post by KillerB »

Due to his sterling work bringing in Americans that none of us know about, Julian has been awarded the supreme honour and empire title of admin assistant. This is so that he can approve all of his new friends. He is already abusing this right with punctuation fascism so I'm looking at restrictions to his powers before he considers a military coup.

Be aware that he may try stuff on you! :shock:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

exercise of supreme executive power

Post by jdaw1 »

So as my first exercise of supreme executive power, I’m going to moderate Derek by deleting the thread he started at the same time as admin acted. (Why Derek’s thread? First, because he’s junior to admin. Second, because I asked him to self-moderate and he received that message but thought going to the airport more important. Third, because he’s away so won’t be able to grumble until it’s too late. Fourth, he seemed to suggest by PM that I wouldn’t dare. Fifth, and related to the first, because he can’t revoke my admin-ness; only admin himself may do that.)

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6]Derek T.[/url], in a since-deleted thread entitled “Beware: New Admin in the Asylum†, wrote:All Members should be aware that Jdaw1 has now been promoted to the rank of Admin. Apostrophe Crimes may now be subject to more ruthless treatment :shock:

Derek
Last edited by jdaw1 on 00:46 Wed 05 Dec 2007, edited 5 times in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

So, back to the now joined topic:
  • A forum sub-title on the front page ended in a comma rather than a full stop. This has been repaired. This isn’t excessive zeal, it’s just tidiness.
  • This is indeed a “supreme honour†. [Wipes away tears.] And I want to thank my agent, my mother, and of course, most of all, my wife who … etc etc, continued page 94.
  • No military coup is planned for today.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Oof, me hope's the punishment's are not too severe for ones crime's.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'll let my new friends express my feelings of sheer joy!

ImageImageImageImageImage
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: exercise of supreme executive power

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:So as my first exercise of supreme executive power, I’m going to moderate Derek by deleting the thread he started at the same time as admin acted. (Why Derek’s thread? First, because he’s junior to admin. Second, because I asked him to self-moderate and he received that message but thought going to the airport more important. Third, because he’s away so won’t be able to grumble until it’s too late. Fourth, he seemed to suggest by PM that I wouldn’t dare. Fifth, and related to the first, because he can’t revoke my admin-ness; only admin himself may do that.)

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6]Derek T.[/url], in a since-deleted thread entitled “Beware: New Admin in the Asylum†, wrote:All Members should be aware that Jdaw1 has now been promoted to the rank of Admin. Apostrophe Crimes may now be subject to more ruthless treatment :shock:

Derek
Jdaw1 (A.K.A. Assistant to the Deputy to the The Creator's Assistant),

I am content with your Moderation of my now deleted thread, mostly because I am now in Dublin and therefore half full of Black Liffy Water :D

I also congratulate you on your promotion to the rank of third level Admin.

Please remember that the Moderation needs of the many outweigh the Moderation needs of the few, or the one :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Julian

Congratulations on your new appointment and good luck with all the onerous responsibilities that it brings.

As part of these responsibilities, I hope you will not restrict your editorial license to simply deleting posts from Derek, but will also use your skills and expertise to fix any broken BB code that I may inadverdently leave in my messages.

My thanks and most fevernt wishes of success.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Others may request that I fix any subset of:

Post by jdaw1 »

Others may request that I fix any subset, not necessarily strict, of:
  • BBcode errors (typically wrong square parentheses);
  • punctuation errors;
  • spelling errors;
  • grammatical errors;
  • content.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Oh my god no!!!

Please leave some evidence that this place is inhabited by human beings :roll:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Re: Others may request that I fix any subset of:

Post by KillerB »

jdaw1 wrote:Others may request that I fix any subset, not necessarily strict, of:
  • BBcode errors (typically wrong square parentheses);
  • punctuation errors;
  • spelling errors;
  • grammatical errors;
  • content.
Just don't
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

My spellin meestakes and pour grammer are sentiate beings, so get you're pesky paws offa them!
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Julian , Félicitation , on being promoted to the Deputy's Ass . . .
Remember , my mother tongue is French . . .
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

established precedent

Post by jdaw1 »

There is much established precedent for separating (not deleting, not rewriting) off-topic material. Consider it part of #3.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Post edited and content deleted
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 01:27 Sun 16 Dec 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

From Here
Mmmm... difficult one.

With only two off-topic posts followed by an objection (by the administrator who split it), I would not have split this topic. I have received requests to split before and not done so as I thought that it was a small deviation. The objection and request were what extended this to a splittable topic.

Conky is right about the rules. We do not want to turn this into a stuffy site, even in the more serious areas of Tasting Notes and Port Conversations. However, if a thread gets out of hand then it should be split. I do not think this was the case here.

So:

1. JDAW, please be more tolerant of minor deviations, especially when it is one of your own beefs. Splitting should only happen when a thread has got out of hand;

2. AHB, please try to accept the odd deviation as well - one or two off-topic posts does not require a split;

3. Conky, please try not to get too upset when one of your posts ends up being 'admistered'. The three administrators are trying their best, it's not a conspiracy.

Now, let's get back to Port and fun.
Can we get back to being friends please?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I agree. Although I have to admit it is difficult to see the full sequence of events across the various threads I have to say this all looks a bit like handbags at dawn.

Any boys who don't appologise and make friends with their classmates will have to stay after school and clean the blackboard :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

The story so far (handbags at dawn)

Post by jdaw1 »

That sequence in full.
  • Conky goes off-topic in graphic-laden posts near here;
  • JDAW grumbles in a post in the same thread since moved to here;
  • AHB, in the next-numbered post originally in the same thread since moved with the above to here says †Surely with your newly discovered Admin Superpowers you could split the needlessly flashy emoticons and put them into their own meaningless drivel thread. Consider this a request to do so, if necessary.†;† 
  • JDAW does the split;
  • Conky grumbles in posts that it seems have since been deleted;
  • Here admin reprimands whole class;
  • Here Derek T. joins in at the last moment merely to play teacher’s pet.
Even though it was playing teacher’s pet, “handbags at dawn† isn’t wrong. Except that it wasn’t yet dawn.

†  Aesthetically it’s better to italicise the double quotation marks. Logically it’s better not to. It’s difficult being me, and I even do it full time.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Just to clarify:
  • Derek joined in immediately upon reading the nonsense that had been posted in an attempt to help stop it escalating into anything more destructive
  • Although Admin is a Trainer, he is not officially a Teacher so I can't be his pet even if I tried
  • Yes, we know it must be difficult being Jdaw
  • It was dawn somewhere
Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

trainer’s pet

Post by jdaw1 »

I fully accept your correction, and humbly withdraw my accusation, which was false and without basis in fact or truth, that you were acting as teacher’s pet. Your claim that you were actually “trainer’s pet† is accepted without reservation.

And no, it wasn’t dawn in any one place over the whole time that these posts were being made.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: trainer’s pet

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: I fully accept your correction, and humbly withdraw my accusation, which was false and without basis in fact or truth, that you were acting as teacher’s pet. Your claim that you were actually “trainer’s pet† is accepted without reservation.
Nice try. Not biting :P
jdaw1 wrote:And no, it wasn’t dawn in any one place over the whole time that these posts were being made.
A day on the planet Mercury, which may or may not be the planet Jdaw lives on, is approximately 176 earth days. So, during this entire episode it was dawn somewhere.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:And no, it wasn’t dawn in any one place over the whole time that these posts were being made.
A day on the planet Mercury, which may or may not be the planet Jdaw lives on, is approximately 176 earth days. So, during this entire episode it was dawn somewhere.
I fully accept, without reservation, that when you said “handbags at dawn†, you meant this in a sense equivalent to “handbags at the light-dark boundary on planet Mercury†. I retract and apologise for any implication that you might have meant “handbags at some place on planet Earth†, which was clearly false and without basis in fact or truth.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Derek T. wrote:
I fully accept, without reservation, that when you said “handbags at dawn†, you meant this in a sense equivalent to “handbags at the light-dark boundary on planet Mercury†. I retract and apologise for any implication that you might have meant “handbags at some place on planet Earth†, which was clearly false and without basis in fact or truth.
Unreserved apology accepted, without reservation.

Derek

PS: Do you think some of this thread should be moved to MD?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

the subject at hand was, in any event, me

Post by jdaw1 »

1. Haven’t we had that argument once already?
  2. I don’t care.
  3. It’s harmless here—the subject at hand was, in any event, me.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: the subject at hand was, in any event, me

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Haven’t we had that argument once already?
I wasn't aware this was another argument so lets not have one
jdaw1 wrote:I don’t care.
I'm sure that isn't true :lol:
jdaw1 wrote:It’s harmless here—the subject at hand was, in any event, me.
Agreed, although not in a Deputy to the Assistant of The Creator's Assistant's pet kind of way :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I thought admin assistant would be a step in the wrong direction in jdaw's career.Only an opinion