Tasting Notes Section

Make suggestions and report problems.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Do you have Excel or Microsoft Word?

Post by jdaw1 »

Do you have Excel or Microsoft Word? If yes, I’ll send an example.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: List of valid names

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:Let’s allow wider comment. The spreadsheet has a list of ports. All names should look like one of the list below: comment welcome, improvements better.
  1. Quinta da Brunheda;
  2. Quinta da Brunheda Colheita;
  3. do Vesuvio Finest Reserve 1991;
  4. Graham’s Crusted;
  5. Graham’s Crusted Port;
  6. Noval LBV;
  7. Noval LBV Unfiltered;
  8. Vista Allegre;
  9. Quinta da Vista Allegre;
I suspect that Brunheda and Brunheda Colheita should be the same port. Should I amend my tasting note title to just read Brunheda?

I suspect that the do Vesuvio 1991 Finest Reserve should just be Vesuvio (or should we also include the Quinta do in our titles?).

Graham's Crusted and Graham's Crusted Port are clearly the same thing.

Should we just have a single kind of title for our LBVs, as suggested above?

Clearly the Vista Allegre's are the same thing.

So what can we do with the titles of our tasting notes to make your life easier and the TN sort more automated?

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Don’t worry at all about TNs that are already in the index

Post by jdaw1 »

Don’t worry at all about TNs that are already in the index. Don’t waste your time.

Useful steps include helping me fix my mess (duplicates, errors, inconsistent capitalisation), and then always using one of the names on a list I’ll post somewhere.

Alex: you seem to be keenest on the index, so let’s proceed as follows. You propose rules, without consultation. If nobody objects, that’s agreed. For example, which of:
  • Graham 1985
  • Graham Vintage Port 1985
  • Graham vintage port 1985
  • Graham’s 1985
  • Graham’s Vintage Port 1985
  • Graham’s vintage port 1985
? Don’t hum and haw: just say how you think it should be.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

OK, I'm happy to do this. Here are my proposals:

Vintage ports should be named thus:
1985 Graham vintage port or
1979 Malvedos vintage port
That is to say, 4 digits for the year; no possessive; including the words "vintage port" without capitalisation

Single Quinta vintage ports should be named thus:
1989 Quinta do Vesuvio vintage port
That is to say, 4 digits for the year; no possessive; including the words "Quinta do / da / de / dos" as appropriate and the words "vintage port" without capitalisation but with the word Quinta starting with a capital Q

Crusted ports should be named thus:
Graham's crusted port
That is to say, no reference to vintage or bottling date in the title; the possessive is used (with apostrophe); the full phrase of "crusted port" being used but without capitalisation

Late Bottled Vintage ports should be named thus:
1983 Croft LBV
That is to say, 4 digits for the year; no possessive; including the capital letters LBV after the name of the shipper to indicate the nature of the port. No reference should be made in the title to whether the port is filtered or unfiltered or to the bottling date, these details should be included in the tasting note text.

Ruby and reserve ports should be named thus:
Fonseca Bin 27; or
Croft Warrior's Reserve
That is to say, the name of the shipper (without possessive) followed by the name of the port as written on the bottle.

Colheita ports should be named thus:
1988 Warre colheita
That is to say, 4 digits for the year; the name of the shipper; no possessive; the word "colheita" (ideally spelt this way) without a capital letter

Tawny ports should be named thus:
10 year old Taylor tawny port; or
Barros tawny port; or
Delaforce His Master's Eminence tawny port
That is to say, if the tawny port has an indication of age then this should appear as the first part of the tasting note title as a two digit number and the words "year old" without capitalisation; this should be followed by the name of the shipper; no possessive; the words "tawny port" without capitalisation. If the tawny port has a brand name such as "His Master's Eminence" then this should be included between the name of the shipper and the words "tawny port" and should be exactly as written on the port label.

So this is my suggestion - what have I forgotten?

Alex

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Great: something on which to work. Presumably the same formats would apply in the TN index?
AHB wrote:Vintage ports should be named thus:
For second-name single-quinta I prefer “Graham Malvedos†.
AHB wrote:Crusted ports should be named thus:
Graham's crusted port
That is to say, no reference to vintage or bottling date in the title; the possessive is used (with apostrophe); the full phrase of "crusted port" being used but without capitalisation
Do you want the TN index to use the sub-list, that is usually vintages, for bottling date? If yes, that should appear in the title.
AHB wrote:Late Bottled Vintage ports should be named thus:
1983 Croft LBV
That is to say, 4 digits for the year; no possessive; including the capital letters LBV after the name of the shipper to indicate the nature of the port. No reference should be made in the title to whether the port is filtered or unfiltered or to the bottling date, these details should be included in the tasting note text.
Works for me, but does mean that the TN index lumps together the various shades of LBV. But, as I say, works for me.
AHB wrote:Ruby and reserve ports should be named thus:
Fonseca Bin 27; or
Croft Warrior's Reserve
That is to say, the name of the shipper (without possessive) followed by the name of the port as written on the bottle.
I’d only fix it later to say “Croft Warrior’s Reserve†, with a curly single quotation mark, so why not get it right in the title?
AHB wrote:Colheita ports should be named thus:
1988 Warre colheita
That is to say, 4 digits for the year; the name of the shipper; no possessive; the word "colheita" (ideally spelt this way) without a capital letter
Works for me.
AHB wrote:Tawny ports should be named thus:
Barros tawny port; or
That is to say, if the tawny port has an indication of age then this should appear as the first part of the tasting note title as a two digit number and the words "year old" without capitalisation; this should be followed by the name of the shipper; no possessive; the words "tawny port" without capitalisation. If the tawny port has a brand name such as "His Master's Eminence" then this should be included between the name of the shipper and the words "tawny port" and should be exactly as written on the port label.
Brevity and automation would be aided by using “10Y† instead of “10 year old†. Do you strongly object?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: Do you have Excel or Microsoft Word?

Post by Conky »

jdaw1 wrote:Do you have Excel or Microsoft Word? If yes, I’ll send an example.
I have microsoft Word?

Alan
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:Vintage ports should be named thus:
For second-name single-quinta I prefer “Graham Malvedos†.
This is fine by me and makes sense in the index listing.
AHB wrote:Crusted ports should be named thus:
Graham's crusted port
Do you want the TN index to use the sub-list, that is usually vintages, for bottling date? If yes, that should appear in the title.
Personally, I think that we will drink relatively small numbers of bottles of crusted port and therefore this probably doesn't matter. However, I would be easy to persuade otherwise.
AHB wrote:Late Bottled Vintage ports should be named thus:
1983 Croft LBV
Works for me, but does mean that the TN index lumps together the various shades of LBV. But, as I say, works for me.
I agree with the observation but, personally, feel that there is more confusion being created from the differences than would be created from lumping everything in to just one category differentiated by vintage.
AHB wrote:Ruby and reserve ports should be named thus:
Fonseca Bin 27; or
Croft Warrior's Reserve
I’d only fix it later to say “Croft Warrior’s Reserve†, with a curly single quotation mark, so why not get it right in the title?
Noted, however I suspect that most people will only be willing to use the apostrophe on the keyboard as an "all purpose apostrophe".
AHB wrote:Tawny ports should be named thus:
Barros tawny port; or
Brevity and automation would be aided by using “10Y† instead of “10 year old†. Do you strongly object?
Good suggestion and one that I would fully agree to.

Alex

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Do you want to re-post your original rules

Post by jdaw1 »

OK. Do you want to re-post your original rules, with amendments, as the state of the art suggestion?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'll wait a few days to see if anyone else has any feedback.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

It will be easier for others to comment on a singe post

Post by jdaw1 »

It will be easier for others to comment on a singe post that contains your best judgement (as that judgement might have been modified by my comments).
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

If something doesn't have a vintage year, or a year for that matter then it should be prefixed with "NV", this helps with automatic selection.

I think that Crusteds should be allowed the year that is on the label as this distinguishes them from other years, it is only a year just like Colheitas and LBVs.

Does Croft make a Warrior Reserve as well?
Port is basically a red drink
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Croft Warrior Reserve

Post by jdaw1 »

KillerB wrote:Does Croft make a Warrior Reserve as well?
:oops:

I suppose it shows how little experience Alex and I have with this style of port. :)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

KillerB wrote:If something doesn't have a vintage year, or a year for that matter then it should be prefixed with "NV", this helps with automatic selection.
I'll include this in my update, written when I get a few minutes spare.
KillerB wrote:I think that Crusteds should be allowed the year that is on the label as this distinguishes them from other years, it is only a year just like Colheitas and LBVs.
Although I wasn't going to go for this approach, I am happy to be persuaded otherwise and will consider your comment and Julian's initial comment as two votes in favour of using the bottling date in the title and index to my one vote against.
KillerB wrote:Does Croft make a Warrior Reserve as well?
Absolutely they do. It sits on the shelves next to the Taylor 6 Grapes and the Offley Bin 27. You should try one when you next see it in your local supermarket or off-licence.

Alex

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I vote for
  • the use of the possesive
  • inclusion of bottling year for Crusted Port
  • the use of "Un-filtered", "Traditional" or "Bottle Matured" where appropriate for LBV's as some shippers produce both filtered and unfiltered LBV's
  • capitalisation of Vintage Port, Crusted Port, Colheita etc
  • the right to continue to randomly mis-spell Colhieta
Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Derek T. wrote:I vote for
  • the use of the possesive
  • inclusion of bottling year for Crusted Port
  • the use of "Un-filtered", "Traditional" or "Bottle Matured" where appropriate for LBV's as some shippers produce both filtered and unfiltered LBV's
  • capitalisation of Vintage Port, Crusted Port, Colheita etc
  • the right to continue to randomly mis-spell Colhieta
Derek
I'm lazy so proposed no possessive in order to save two letters of typing every tasting note. However, in the spirit of democracy if I am outvoted on this then I will bow to the wishes of the majority. I make that one for against the use of the possessive and one in favour.

I concede on the use of the bottling date for crusted port. This is now 3 votes in favour and 1 against.

I would still prefer not to use the filtered / unfiltered / traditional / bottle matured nomenclature for the LBVs. I feel that trying to include these into the title will cause confusion as to which term to use and this is easily covered if you read the note itself. My vision is that the TN index says something along the lines of (you'll just have to imagine the fancy formatting that Julian can give it):
Noval LBV
1984 JDAW1
AHB
1988 DRW
etc.
By reading the notes, you will easily be able to see whether the LBV was a filtered or unfiltered version. The advantage that I can see for simply listing all the LBVs together is that you also have the filtered vs unfiltered tasting notes side by side so you can easily see if filtering actually makes a difference. However, I will again bow to the majority wish on this. Any other preferences that people would like to express?

Capitalisation - again, happy to go with the flow. Who else would prefer to use or not use capitals?

Mis-spelling of vintage dated aged tawny ports - absolutely not. :evil: There is only one correct way to spell colheita in the title of a tasting note. My recommendation is that you invest in a spellchecker, perhaps borrow Conky's, or restrain your anarchic tendencies for the body of the tasting note.

Alex

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:My vision is that the TN index says something along the lines of ...
One of my New Year's Resolutions is never to argue with a man with a Vision, so I concede on the filtered/unfiltered point.
AHB wrote:Capitalisation - again, happy to go with the flow. Who else would prefer to use or not use capitals?
This is essential to my Vision that all words in the titles should adopt Title Case.
AHB wrote:Mis-spelling of vintage dated aged tawny ports - absolutely not. :evil: There is only one correct way to spell colheita in the title of a tasting note. My recommendation is that you invest in a spellchecker, perhaps borrow Conky's, or restrain your anarchic tendencies for the body of the tasting note.
I have only just noticed that this word conforms to the i-before-e-except-after-c principal (or is it principle? I'm never sure which) that I learned at a very young age therefore the chances of future instances of me mis-spelling the word Colhieta are now drastically reduced.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I always thought that colhieta was a wine principally made from the principle reisling grape.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'M LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE!!!

AlanImage
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Conky wrote:I'M LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE!!!

AlanImage
Have a glass of port instead, it'll help you to feel better!

(Nice emoticon).

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Updated proposals based on feedback to date:

1985 Graham Vintage Port or
1979 Graham Malvedos Vintage Port
That is to say, 4 digits for the year; no possessive; including the words "Vintage Port" with capitalisation.

Single Quinta vintage ports should be named thus:
1989 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port
That is to say, 4 digits for the year; no possessive; including the words "Quinta do / da / de / dos" as appropriate and the words "Vintage Port" with capitalisation and also with the word Quinta starting with a capital Q

Crusted ports should be named thus:
2001 Graham's Crusted Port
That is to say, 4 digits for the year of bottling in the title; the possessive is used (with apostrophe); the full phrase of "Crusted Port" being used with capitalisation

Late Bottled Vintage ports should be named thus:
1983 Croft LBV

Ruby and reserve ports should be named thus:
NV Fonseca Bin 27; or
NV Warre Warrior's Reserve
That is to say, the capital letters NV to indicate the wine is not vintage dated, followed by the name of the shipper (without possessive) followed by the name of the port as written on the bottle.

Colheita ports should be named thus:
1988 Warre Colheita
That is to say, 4 digits for the year; the name of the shipper; no possessive; the word "Colheita" (ideally spelt this way) with a capital letter

Tawny ports should be named thus:
10Y Taylor Tawny Port; or
NV Barros Tawny Port; or
NV Delaforce His Master's Eminence Tawny Port
That is to say, if the tawny port has an indication of age then this should appear as the first part of the tasting note title as a two digit number and a capital Y immdiately following (no space between the digits and the letter Y) otherwise the letters "NV" should be used to indicate it is a non-vintage dated port; this should be followed by the name of the shipper; no possessive; the words "Tawny Port" with capitalisation. If the tawny port has a brand name such as "His Master's Eminence" then this should be included between the name of the shipper and the words "Tawny Port" and should be exactly as written on the port label.

This is based on feedback to date, further feedback would be very welcome. One specific piece of feedback I'm after is whether you would be happier to use the possessive (ie. Graham's Vintage Port) or not (ie. Graham Vintage Port) in the title of the tasting note.

Thanks all.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 09:23 Thu 03 Jan 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Derek T wrote:I have only just noticed that this word conforms to the i-before-e-except-after-c principal (or is it principle? I'm never sure which) that I learned at a very young age therefore the chances of future instances of me mis-spelling the word Colhieta are now drastically reduced.
I'm obviously feeling slow today - I've only just got the joke!

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Please edit.

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Updated proposals based on feedback to date:

… including the words "Vintage Port" with capitalisation.
Your example is inconsistent with the proposed rule. Please edit.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I'm confused. Should we post Graham's Quinta do Malvedos as:

- Graham Malvedos,
- Graham Quinta do Malvedos, or
- Quinta do Malvedos

Your example says the first, but lists it under classic vintage ports, while it is clearly a single quinta vintage port.

All other points are perfectly clear and fine by me.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Another thing: browsing the index I noticed that Quinta do Passadouro is listed as Niepoort Quinta do Passadouro. Since 2003 Passadouro and Niepoort have split, the ports of Passadouro are now made and bottled under their own name. Therefore, please remove the 'Niepoort'. Thanks!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote:I'm confused. Should we post Graham's Quinta do Malvedos as:

- Graham Malvedos,
- Graham Quinta do Malvedos, or
- Quinta do Malvedos

Your example says the first, but lists it under classic vintage ports, while it is clearly a single quinta vintage port.
Graham's Malvedos is a second label port, not an SQVP. In reality, modern Malvedos bottlings contain grapes only from the Quinta but this was not always so. The words "Quinta do" do not appear in the description on the label.

Please note the proper use of the possesive on the above label image which resides on the Symington's website.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn