Buying or Selling Port

Make suggestions and report problems.

Should we have a separate area of the forum for buying and selling Port?

Yes
7
70%
No
2
20%
Don't care
1
10%
 
Total votes: 10

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Buying or Selling Port

Post by DRT » 13:28 Thu 24 Apr 2014

We appear to have a regular stream of threads initiated by new members who register on the forum to ask for advice about selling Port that they do not want. Each of these threads appear and then become lost in the main forum area so it is perhaps difficult for those thinking of posing a similar question to find answers posted in earlier threads.

Should we have a separate forum area specifically dedicated to threads that discuss the buying or selling of Port to make it easier for new or prospective members to find the information they are looking for?

Please respond to the poll above and comment below if you feel particularly strongly one way or the other.

Thanks
DRT
Last edited by jdaw1 on 15:02 Sun 04 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Closing poll.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
John M
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 117
Joined: 18:45 Sat 31 Mar 2012
Location: USA

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by John M » 15:12 Thu 24 Apr 2014

Absolutely. Make it easy for newbies to find the proper advice....its usually the same story "you are better off keeping and enjoying" and ends with an offer to bring your bottle to share. Just seems cleaner and simpler to do what you propose.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by jdaw1 » 08:26 Fri 25 Apr 2014

Yes. But could it be named “Selling Port”, as it is about selling. We could compromise on “Selling or Buying Port”, in that order, but this section really isn’t for “I need a 1904 Sandeman. Who has?”

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2457
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by PhilW » 10:50 Fri 25 Apr 2014

Maybe, depending on the motivation.

On the positive side:
- it might encourage those thinking of posting, seeing other similar posts with responses.
- if the poster reads such previous posts, they might have all the info they need, and then not post.
On the negative side:
- if the poster reads such previous posts, they might have all the info they need, and then not post.

I think there is a risk that this falls into the same category as the "standard advice"; generally helpful to do, but provides the risk that no post/dialogue is opened, and assumptions which may not be correct are made. If we do decide to have such a section, I would suggest including a short sticky at the top which, rather than being the standard advice to sellers would be more along the lines of "We are happy to provide advice to people looking to understand the value of their port, or wishing to sell it; sometimes we may be interested in buying; it is very helpful if you are able to describe the bottles as fully as possible, with a description of where/when purchased/obtained and how they have been stored" (i.e. the "requirements capture" part of the current selling advice, rather than the "likely solution").

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2457
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by PhilW » 10:52 Fri 25 Apr 2014

jdaw1 wrote:Yes. But could it be named “Selling Port”, as it is about selling. We could compromise on “Selling or Buying Port”, in that order, but this section really isn’t for “I need a 1904 Sandeman. Who has?”
I would also agree, this is not about buying; "Port for sale", "Port to sell?" would seem suitable.

User avatar
John M
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 117
Joined: 18:45 Sat 31 Mar 2012
Location: USA

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by John M » 13:21 Fri 25 Apr 2014

PhilW wrote:Maybe, depending on the motivation.

On the positive side:
- it might encourage those thinking of posting, seeing other similar posts with responses.
- if the poster reads such previous posts, they might have all the info they need, and then not post.
On the negative side:
- if the poster reads such previous posts, they might have all the info they need, and then not post.

I think there is a risk that this falls into the same category as the "standard advice"; generally helpful to do, but provides the risk that no post/dialogue is opened, and assumptions which may not be correct are made. If we do decide to have such a section, I would suggest including a short sticky at the top which, rather than being the standard advice to sellers would be more along the lines of "We are happy to provide advice to people looking to understand the value of their port, or wishing to sell it; sometimes we may be interested in buying; it is very helpful if you are able to describe the bottles as fully as possible, with a description of where/when purchased/obtained and how they have been stored" (i.e. the "requirements capture" part of the current selling advice, rather than the "likely solution").
I would just add: And give us your general location.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3333
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by Glenn E. » 15:29 Fri 25 Apr 2014

I think we could avoid the need for a special forum by simply stickying our standard advice in the Conversations about Port forum.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by jdaw1 » 15:45 Fri 25 Apr 2014

Glenn E. wrote:I think we could avoid the need for a special forum by simply stickying our standard advice in the Conversations about Port forum.
I think Derek was considering separating these non-conversations.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3333
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by Glenn E. » 16:17 Fri 25 Apr 2014

jdaw1 wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I think we could avoid the need for a special forum by simply stickying our standard advice in the Conversations about Port forum.
I think Derek was considering separating these non-conversations.
Understood. The given reason for separating them, though was:
DRT wrote:... to make it easier for new or prospective members to find the information they are looking for?
It seems to me that stickying our standard advice would accomplish that just as well and more easily.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by DRT » 10:58 Sun 27 Apr 2014

I think we have a clear result in favour of trying this (7 yes, 1 no and 1 don't care) and a preference to keep it to selling rather than buying and selling.

JDAW has kindly offered to make the appropriate changes.

FTAOD: Please name the forum "Selling Port" or similar.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3673
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by LGTrotter » 12:59 Sun 27 Apr 2014

I can't get into this topic. It says I don't have the required permissions. Am I missing something obvious?

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by DRT » 13:07 Sun 27 Apr 2014

LGTrotter wrote:I can't get into this topic. It says I don't have the required permissions. Am I missing something obvious?
Have you voted? I don't think you can see the results until you vote.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by djewesbury » 13:12 Sun 27 Apr 2014

DRT wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:I can't get into this topic. It says I don't have the required permissions. Am I missing something obvious?
Have you voted? I don't think you can see the results until you vote.
No, Owen means that the Selling Port thread itself is locked:
Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 13.10.42.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 13.10.42.png (48.62 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by DRT » 13:17 Sun 27 Apr 2014

Still under construction. The forum permissions have not yet been set to allow it to be accessed.

I can see it. It is beautiful to behold. You will have to be patient whilst the artist formerly known as JDAW completes his masterpiece.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3673
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by LGTrotter » 13:27 Sun 27 Apr 2014

I am impatient, I was just getting excited about all that overpriced Graham 85 which I was too idiotic to pay for. I bet it will be lovely when it's done. Ta.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by jdaw1 » 15:27 Sun 27 Apr 2014

Ooh, I didn't mean that it be locked. I am currently at an 8YO's birthday party, so can't unlock. DRT: please cope.

Complaints in this thread, please.

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by DRT » 15:29 Sun 27 Apr 2014

jdaw1 wrote:Ooh, I didn't mean that it be locked. I am currently at an 8YO's birthday party, so can't unlock. DRT: please cope.
Done. Please can a non-Admin test and report back here.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2373
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by flash_uk » 15:42 Sun 27 Apr 2014

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Ooh, I didn't mean that it be locked. I am currently at an 8YO's birthday party, so can't unlock. DRT: please cope.
Done. Please can a non-Admin test and report back here.
Yes can see various posts that have been moved to this sub forum. And I added a new post which seems to be fine.

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by DRT » 15:49 Sun 27 Apr 2014

Excellent.

Now for the next question...

Should the standard response be a sticky in that Forum?

I say yes, but slightly amended to include a top and tail that encourage readers to post the information relevant to their bottles as the standard advice might not quite apply to their individual circumstances.

What say ye?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by jdaw1 » 15:53 Sun 27 Apr 2014

By happy coincidence, just what I had planned.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by jdaw1 » 16:28 Sun 27 Apr 2014


User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by DRT » 17:13 Sun 27 Apr 2014

jdaw1 wrote:Please comment on Port for sale? Excellent. Start here.
Excellent. Thank you.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by jdaw1 » 20:11 Sun 27 Apr 2014

I bought some W66 from one vendor, and have added a postscript to say so.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=74994#p74994]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Belated postscript: these were bought, the parcel being split by jdaw1 and PhilW. Fine juice, bottles from jdaw1’s share being tasted in January 2014 and in April 2014.
If other purchasers could do likewise, it might encourage potential vendors (well, those potential vendors who look at old threads). Thank you.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by jdaw1 » 14:48 Sun 04 May 2014

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=75182#p75182]Here[/url] a new boy wrote:I am about to downsize and will have nowhere to put my rather large wine cabinet and / or its contents. After carefully considering all the options and noting the inevitable advice to people on this forum to keep their vintage port rather than sell it, I have reluctantly decided to sell it anyway.
Good job by us. His question went to the correct place, and he had read the stuff we wanted him to read. :-)

Should the standard advice include something on storage? Perhaps
If you are selling to free space, do consider professional storage. Several regulars on ThePortForum.com store Port at Seckford Wines; others use Big Yellow in Fulham; some use or have used Octavian Vaults. If the quantity is small, the costs will be modest.
:?:

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Buying or Selling Port

Post by djewesbury » 14:51 Sun 04 May 2014

jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=75182#p75182]Here[/url] a new boy wrote:I am about to downsize and will have nowhere to put my rather large wine cabinet and / or its contents. After carefully considering all the options and noting the inevitable advice to people on this forum to keep their vintage port rather than sell it, I have reluctantly decided to sell it anyway.
Good job by us. His question went to the correct place, and he had read the stuff we wanted him to read. :-)

Should the standard advice include something on storage?
It could do but we would then need to specify the places that will accept odd bottles / bottles not in bond; since there are not so many we would be endorsing only a very few such places. Do we want to do this as a matter of course rather than in individual posts?
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests