Page 5 of 6

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 14:14 Fri 09 Sep 2016
by jdaw1
idj123 wrote:I see we have settled on Mz with which I concur. I would prefer B for Burmester but more ambivalent on this one.
It’s looking like accepting the slight inconsistency of Mz and B.
idj123 wrote:I note we don't seem to have covered Quinta do Vallado? Have had some lovely aged tawnies from the producer (although they have produced some VPs).
Not many V…s have been used.: Vl? Vd? What other Quinta d… V…s might need either of these?

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 14:26 Fri 09 Sep 2016
by DRT
jdaw1 wrote:What other Quinta d… V…s might need either of these?
Quinta de Ventozelo.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 14:28 Fri 09 Sep 2016
by jdaw1
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:What other Quinta d… V…s might need either of these?
Quinta de Ventozelo.
Already in.
jdaw1 wrote:Vz = Quinta de Ventozelo

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 14:28 Fri 09 Sep 2016
by DRT
Where is the master list?

That isn't in the list on the first page.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 14:32 Fri 09 Sep 2016
by DRT
Scratch that - I now see what is happening.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 20:48 Fri 09 Sep 2016
by Andy Velebil
In regards to Passadouro.

From what I recall being told Niepoort (Dirk) was helping them in their early days when the new owners took it over. IIRC Dirk also helped with the blends. That relationship eventually ended. Those earlier Ports were simply bottled and distributed by Niepoort as Passadouro did not have the ability to do so then. It is best to consider Dirk a consultant to their project.

So in that regard, ignore the Niepoort. It is, and should be, listed soley as Qt. d. Passadouro.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 23:27 Fri 09 Sep 2016
by DRT
Andy Velebil wrote:In regards to Passadouro.

From what I recall being told Niepoort (Dirk) was helping them in their early days when the new owners took it over. IIRC Dirk also helped with the blends. That relationship eventually ended. Those earlier Ports were simply bottled and distributed by Niepoort as Passadouro did not have the ability to do so then. It is best to consider Dirk a consultant to their project.

So in that regard, ignore the Niepoort. It is, and should be, listed soley as Qt. d. Passadouro.
I agree with that.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 19:10 Mon 12 Sep 2016
by Glenn E.
jdaw1 wrote:
idj123 wrote:I note we don't seem to have covered Quinta do Vallado? Have had some lovely aged tawnies from the producer (although they have produced some VPs).
Not many V…s have been used.: Vl? Vd? What other Quinta d… V…s might need either of these?
I would use either Va or Vl, leaning toward Vl. Absent an accent, in Portuguese the 2nd-to-last syllable is emphasized. Thus "va LAH do" making the 'd' approximately the 3rd option to my ear.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 19:16 Mon 12 Sep 2016
by jdaw1
Va echoes too strongly with Vau.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 19:16 Mon 12 Sep 2016
by PhilW
Vl sounds sensible to me. Note that there are quite a lot not in the list, but am not sure if we're trying to be completionist here.

Re: RE: Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 21:05 Mon 12 Sep 2016
by jdaw1
PhilW wrote:completionist
Trying to include all the important names, where "important" means important to me.


Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 20:59 Sun 18 Sep 2016
by jdaw1
Sandeman Quinta do Seixo = Sx? I know that some of you might prefer SSx, but I like the brevity and mischief of Sx.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 06:07 Mon 19 Sep 2016
by AHB
jdaw1 wrote:Sandeman Quinta do Seixo = Sx? I know that some of you might prefer SSx, but I like the brevity and mischief of Sx.
True, I would prefer SSx so as to allow distinction from FrSx which was produced in the past.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 07:57 Mon 19 Sep 2016
by jdaw1
AHB wrote:to allow distinction from FrSx which was produced in the past.
Fair: ’82 and ’83 Ferreira had slipped my mind. In which case FrS and SS.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 19:04 Mon 19 Sep 2016
by Glenn E.
jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:to allow distinction from FrSx which was produced in the past.
Fair: ’82 and ’83 Ferreira had slipped my mind. In which case FrS and SS.
<rubber stamp of approval>

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 22:10 Tue 20 Sep 2016
by AHB
jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:to allow distinction from FrSx which was produced in the past.
Fair: ’82 and ’83 Ferreira had slipped my mind. In which case FrS and SS.
I'm happy with that.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 22:13 Tue 20 Sep 2016
by AHB
Glenn E. wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:to allow distinction from FrSx which was produced in the past.
Fair: ’82 and ’83 Ferreira had slipped my mind. In which case FrS and SS.
<rubber stamp of approval>
Are you asking JDAW to create an emoticon for <<rubber stamp of approval>>? Please don't do that. You know what will happen if you do. There will be a new thread asking for specific parameters for the new emoticon. It will develop to be at least 200 pages long and this thread will drift way off topic.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 22:20 Tue 20 Sep 2016
by jdaw1
AHB wrote:Are you asking JDAW to create an emoticon for <<rubber stamp of approval>>? Please don't do that. You know what will happen if you do. There will be a new thread asking for specific parameters for the new emoticon. It will develop to be at least 200 pages long and this thread will drift way off topic.
We have things functionally equivalent to those: :GoldStar: :SilverStar: :BronzeStar: :VegetableStar: When they were made I was quite pleased with my file-size compression, which nobody else stopped to admire.

(And posts might be moved to Irrelevant badinage and like nonsense.)

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 23:02 Tue 20 Sep 2016
by AHB
jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:Are you asking JDAW to create an emoticon for <<rubber stamp of approval>>? Please don't do that. You know what will happen if you do. There will be a new thread asking for specific parameters for the new emoticon. It will develop to be at least 200 pages long and this thread will drift way off topic.
We have things functionally equivalent to those: :GoldStar: :SilverStar: :BronzeStar: :VegetableStar: When they were made I was quite pleased with my file-size compression, which nobody else stopped to admire.

(And posts might be moved to Irrelevant badinage and like nonsense.)
I request that you wait a day or so for others to respond to the humour in the thread and then please do move. Or, if you think wiser to move immediately, please make it so. I support your decision either way.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 20:05 Mon 10 Sep 2018
by jdaw1
Image

Porto Valriz: ‘Vr’ or ‘Vz’?

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 21:21 Mon 10 Sep 2018
by DRT
Vr

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 21:27 Mon 10 Sep 2018
by DRT
jdaw1 wrote:
14:28 Fri 09 Sep 2016
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:What other Quinta d… V…s might need either of these?
Quinta de Ventozelo.
Already in.
jdaw1 wrote:Vz = Quinta de Ventozelo
:roll:

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 21:48 Mon 10 Sep 2018
by jdaw1
DRT wrote:
21:27 Mon 10 Sep 2018
jdaw1 wrote:
14:28 Fri 09 Sep 2016
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:What other Quinta d… V…s might need either of these?
Quinta de Ventozelo.
Already in.
jdaw1 wrote:Vz = Quinta de Ventozelo
:roll:
Oops. {Blushes!}

Vr then.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 21:21 Sun 30 Sep 2018
by jdaw1
List in fourth post of this thread, which includes Bb = Broadbent (having consulted with Bartholomew Broadbent).

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 19:40 Mon 01 Oct 2018
by DRT
Suggestion: Lm = Quinta das Lamelas