Links to other sites/threads

Make suggestions and report problems.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Is it possible to change the settings so that when someone clicks on a URL link it automatically opens up a new browser tab or window?

When I click on outside links (or inside) it takes me away from the TPF page I am on and to the new links page. I then have to go back or reopen the TPF site in a new tab or browser window. A bit annoying as I don't want to navigate away from the current TPF page I'm on just to see what the link is.
Thanks
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Links to other sites/threads

Post by Glenn E. »

Hold down shift while clicking. Depending on your browser, that should either open the link in a new window or open it in a new tab in your current window.

CTRL also performs a similar function.

I'm using IE10. For me, shift-click opens a new window and CTRL-click opens a new tab.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:Hold down shift while clicking. Depending on your browser, that should either open the link in a new window or open it in a new tab in your current window.

I'm using IE10. For me, shift-click opens a new window and CTRL-click opens a new tab.
I know but I don't want to have to remember. it's easier if it does it for me :lol:
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Hold down shift while clicking. Depending on your browser, that should either open the link in a new window or open it in a new tab in your current window.

I know but I don't want to have to remember. it's easier if it does it for me :lol:
There's probably a setting in your browser to make that the default behavior. Which browser do you use?
Glenn Elliott
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Andy Velebil wrote:

Alternatively right-click and use the context menu for open in new tab/window. I agree regarding not remembering all of the keyboard shortcuts especially if you use a large number of software packages; right-click and use context I don't count as a shortcut, since in almost every app you left click to select or right click for context action so seems natural to me. ymmv.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:

There's probably a setting in your browser to make that the default behavior. Which browser do you use?
Glenn,

There should be a setting within the sites phpBB coding that needs to be turned on and it will do it for everyone automatically. Much easier.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

PhilW wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:

Alternatively right-click and use the context menu for open in new tab/window. I agree regarding not remembering all of the keyboard shortcuts especially if you use a large number of software packages; right-click and use context I don't count as a shortcut, since in almost every app you left click to select or right click for context action so seems natural to me. ymmv.
Right click would be great except when you don't us a PC and there is no right click.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Andy Velebil wrote:
PhilW wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:

Right click would be great except when you don't us a PC and there is no right click.
Then Ctrl-click.. Or, on a laptop, two-finger click..
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Re: Links to other sites/threads

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:

Glenn,

There should be a setting within the sites phpBB coding that needs to be turned on and it will do it for everyone automatically. Much easier.
Easier for you. :p I prefer the default (current) behavior, so your solution would screw things up for me as there is not a setting to reverse that behavior if it is being overridden by the web site.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm not aware (and cannot find) any switch in the phpBB configuration that would make this happen automatically.

But I am entirely convinced by Glenn's argument that making it work for a forgetful man from LA would cause irritation to others who are so technically genius that they can remember to press one key before clicking :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:I'm not aware (and cannot find) any switch in the phpBB configuration that would make this happen automatically.

But I am entirely convinced by Glenn's argument that making it work for a forgetful man from LA would cause irritation to others who are so technically genius that they can remember to press one key before clicking :wink:
Yes, I admit it is difficult after an evening tasting old purple liquids. Lol