Upgrade of Forum Software

Make suggestions and report problems.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Upgrade of Forum Software

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:As part of the upgrade we will be setting all user accounts to use ThePortForumRed2015 style.
Some time after the upgrade we will be setting all user accounts to use ThePortForumRed2015 style.
Please may I have a copy of ThePortForumRed20152016?
I will cope after you have done your bit. Experience has taught that it will require some play.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The test site is available to you. Why not play there rather than in live?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:The test site is available to you. Why not play there rather than in live?
Will do.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The upgrade to the latest versions of phpBB and the database have now been completed.

The Port Forum colour scheme will be applied as and when it is ready, which will hopefully be sometime this weekend.

If you notice anything weird happening with the functionality or the data on the site please report it here.
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

All seems good, Tapatalk working fine here atm also. Good job :)
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

Has the forum always been on Utc+1 and I've just never noticed?

Cheers, Rich
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Unless others outside the UK can confirm otherwise it might be that the upgrade has caused all accounts to default to the same time zone. This can be changed by each user through the user control panel which is accessed from the drop-down next to your username in the top left of the menu bar.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have added our logo to the header to make us feel at home whilst we await the updated style to be applied :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Tapatalk working fine for me as well!
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Style updated. There will surely be faults and imperfections — please report here.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

jdaw1 wrote:Style updated. There will surely be faults and imperfections — please report here.
Is there any way to have the regular html links for "new posts", "unread posts" etc permanently on show on the front page, rather than having to click on the "Quick links" menu? Thx.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

flash_uk wrote:Is there any way to have the regular html links for "new posts", "unread posts" etc permanently on show on the front page, rather than having to click on the "Quick links" menu? Thx.
There is a little icon for the latest post: is that it?

And if it isn’t, it’s a feature of new phpbb rather than of the style.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Style updated. There will surely be faults and imperfections — please report here.
Nice! Very clean and I like it.*

Two observations:
  1. Many titles on the board turn bright green when you hover over them. Is this an intentional colour choice? If so, I am not sure it is the correct choise as it does not fit with the rest of the colour palate.
  2. There is a lot of empty space between the logo and the words in the header. Perhaps centre the logo vertically and move the words to the left to close the gap?
*Worth pointing out for anyone who does not like it that some other styles are available for you to use that can be selected via the User Control Panel.
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

jdaw1 wrote:
flash_uk wrote:Is there any way to have the regular html links for "new posts", "unread posts" etc permanently on show on the front page, rather than having to click on the "Quick links" menu? Thx.
There is a little icon for the latest post: is that it?

And if it isn’t, it’s a feature of new phpbb rather than of the style.
No, not that. Previously, just below the line that says Board Index > Miscellany Corner, there used to be another line with a set of links. These links are now accessed by clicking on the Quick Links icon, necessitating an extra click.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Many titles on the board turn bright green when you hover over them. Is this an intentional colour choice? If so, I am not sure it is the correct choise as it does not fit with the rest of the colour palate.
I had to choose something, and chose that. Now I see it I think I agree with you. What should happen instead? No change in text, background to pale pink? Other?
DRT wrote:There is a lot of empty space between the logo and the words in the header. Perhaps centre the logo vertically and move the words to the left to close the gap?
Now you have drawn that officially and formally to my attention I can no longer pretend not to have seen it. Will be investigated.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

flash_uk wrote:No, not that. Previously, just below the line that says Board Index > Miscellany Corner, there used to be another line with a set of links. These links are now accessed by clicking on the Quick Links icon, necessitating an extra click.
Not my fault. Fixable by me, with some difficulty.

Have you found the notifications pop-up menu?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
flash_uk wrote:No, not that. Previously, just below the line that says Board Index > Miscellany Corner, there used to be another line with a set of links. These links are now accessed by clicking on the Quick Links icon, necessitating an extra click.
Not my fault. Fixable by me, with some difficulty.

Have you found the notifications pop-up menu?
I think it would be advisable not to tinker with the standard menus and features of pphBB. Doing so has put us in difficulty in the past and means that things become not-backward-compatible when the next release (or even sub-release) of the forum software comes out.

I watched similar things happen n a much larger Astro forum recently and within a few days everyone became used to where things are and forgot about the old layout. That, I would suggest, is better than tinkering and breaking things.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Many titles on the board turn bright green when you hover over them. Is this an intentional colour choice? If so, I am not sure it is the correct choise as it does not fit with the rest of the colour palate.
I had to choose something, and chose that. Now I see it I think I agree with you. What should happen instead? No change in text, background to pale pink? Other?
What happened in the previous style?
jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:There is a lot of empty space between the logo and the words in the header. Perhaps centre the logo vertically and move the words to the left to close the gap?
Now you have drawn that officially and formally to my attention I can no longer pretend not to have seen it. Will be investigated.
Thank you.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:I think it would be advisable not to tinker with the standard menus and features of pphBB. Doing so has put us in difficulty in the past and means that things become not-backward-compatible when the next release (or even sub-release) of the forum software comes out.
+1.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:I had to choose something, and chose that. Now I see it I think I agree with you. What should happen instead? No change in text, background to pale pink? Other?
Now pink background.
Fixed.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Pink background is better.

The header is no different on my machine...
Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 21.20.36.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 21.20.36.png (20.71 KiB) Viewed 20996 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Command-R was needed to update mine.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

:-)
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have just noticed that the new site renders very nicely on an iPhone. So much so that I don't feel the need to battle with TapaTalk.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

How does one change the color scheme? I can't seem to find out where to do so.