Private Purchasing section idea

Make suggestions and report problems.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Private Purchasing section idea

Post by PhilW »

Might it be worth having a non-public forum as part of the website to allow non-public discussion of possible purchasing opportunities? I'm thinking of scenarios where a few interesting bottles crop up and we might want to buy some between us, or where they are either not of interest or (for example) too expensive for us, but would like to mention it to others in case of interest; also potentially to try and avoid bidding against each other without publically discussion bidding plans ahead of an auction for example.

As far as I'm aware all forums are currently publically visible, so any such information can be seen not only just by anyone who registers, but also anyone who doesn't, so any 'possible bargain here' could easily be seen and used by non-TPF-ers. I was therefore thinking that a sub-forum for this purpose which was accessible either by all registered members, or access controlled by some other means (anyone who has ever attended an event, for example, or simply on request), could be worthwhile?

Phil.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Private Purchasing section idea

Post by DRT »

Phil,

I can't speak for the other Administrators of the site, or for the other members, but I am not in favour of having a private section on this forum for anything.

The entire concept of this forum is to provide an opportunity for people to talk about port, arrange gatherings where it can be consumed, record what happened and share knowledge, including knowledge of what can be purchased from where. I like the fact that all of the information here is free to access and available to all, whether registered or just browsing.

Many of us do exchange information about specific offers using email or by sending private messages or text messages, so it is easy to achieve the collaboration that you are suggesting without compromising the openness of this forum.

Others might have a different view, but that's mine ;-)

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn