Just a suggestion...

Make suggestions and report problems.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Just a suggestion...

Post by Sideways »

I think this site could do with a 'Port Information' section, History, Winemaking Process, Producers, News, Vintage Guide, info on other fortified wines....

This kind of information is very helpful to people who are just getting into port such as me.

yes, I know, I could buy a book, infact I have several but....
Vintage Shmintage.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I seem to recall this was mentioned at the outset - there was some reason why it didn't happen - or maybe it's just a round tuit

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Sideways,

When we kicked things off, we were really keen to keep things simple and unfussy. If you have a look at the very early Posts in the Port Topics, you'll see a History, types of Port, Unusual Port Phrases etc,etc.
Tom suggested that if we didn't have a specific Topic, maybe they should be stickies.
I cant remember what happened then, I think we just drifted off subject. Fair point though, maybe it needs revisiting.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

As you know The Creator and her pesky little side-kick KillerB (Assistant to The Creator) have gone on holiday for a week and left me in charge of all things Administrative.

I have the tools and permissions available to create "Stickies". If the citizens of this forum are in agreement I would be happy to spend some time creating a locked sticky at the top of the Port Discussions section with links to the posts we created containing definitions of the various port styles.

Whadyathink?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Derek,

Obviously I'm only one voice, but if you could create a Sticky that had a Heading that suggested it was all Factual things to do with understanding Port. You could then include, History articles, definitions, classic books, etc,etc.

The point being, that we dont create a new Topic that interferes with the Home Page, and also is all contained in One Sticky which once clicked, can then sub-branch off.

I'd be very much in favour of that. (In fact I suggested similar when we kicked off). You've got to remember that we're all of varying degrees of knowledge, and I'd certainly find it useful to glance at now and again, to learn or refresh.

Alan
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I can easily provide the text for a sticky that explains the mysteries of my scoring system - if anyone wants to know!

I could also rattle off a basic how-to on the gentle art of decanting.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Tom,

Please create 2 posts in the main port forum. I will create the sticky and link it to these posts and the definitions that we already have.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Is this what we want?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have updated the sticky with links to all of the relevant posts I can find and with 2 new definitions kindly supplied by Uncle Tom by PM to me today.

If anyone wants to suggest adding anything to this list please roduce the definition (or request that someone else does) and let me know so that I can create the link.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Derek,

There are loads of Definition type Threads. Go to the second page, and there's the definitions, history of Port, etc.

I dont think we should have loads of Stickys. Cant they all be listed under one Sticky? See what you can do. Cheers,

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

There is 1 Sticky with links to all of the definitions etc at the top of the Port Conversations section. Were you looking somewhere else?
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Thats already looking better. Well done. 88)