Favourites icon

Make suggestions and report problems.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

To better distinguish opaque and transparent

Post by jdaw1 »

To better distinguish opaque and transparent, repeated against that which, personal settings dependent, might be the darker background.

Some bottles added, such that the draft favicons are now:
Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image

My vote is for Image then Image then Image then Image
I like the letters.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

To better distinguish opaque and transparent

Post by jdaw1 »

{Foiled by the dastardly page break problem.} To better distinguish opaque and transparent, repeated against that which, personal settings dependent, might be the darker background.

Some bottles added, such that the draft favicons are now:
Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image

My vote is for Image then Image then Image then Image
I like the letters.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: To better distinguish opaque and transparent

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Following Julian's lead and assuming that we are operating a 4 choice, transferable voting system, my choices in order of preference would be:

First - Image
Second - Image
Third - Image
Fourth - Image

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I would vote for the glass, without letters, with ruby port instead of tawny and twice the fill level of the current version.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

Julian,

Part of me is thinking this is quite a bit over the top, but I feel myself drawn in, which I think we both know says more than a little about me. Therefore, here's my twopennethworth:

If I were to come across this site with no preconception, and it had a favicon, I'd expect it to speak of port. Your standard layman thinks of port as a red drink in a glass or bottle, so I'd knock out the barrel. The bottle is too small, I think, so it's the glass for me.

I don't think the letters help a whole lot, and I totally agree with both of Derek's comments:
Fill up the glass (I know you might get a better nose with a less full glass, but pixels aren't very nosesome, and I'm thirsty)
Redden the port. I guess you're trying to make it look different from red wine, which is a fair point, but port for most people is a red drink. Praps settle for something reddish brown? Are you a God in the world of facvicon colours, or is there a Higher Being that says you've either got red or tawny?

If I'm outvoted on the letters, could they be arranged so that the T and F sit underneath the glass, and the P is the glass itself? That might look quite good. Praps.

Ghhhhhhhhhandi
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Upright Barrel, or Glass mostly filled with red port. No letters.

And I love you all, but that is my FINAL thoughts on the matter. Do as you will. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan

(until my next final thoughts)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Favicon decision

Post by jdaw1 »

A decision Image having the following qualities:
  • The glass has as much agreement as any other;
  • Tawny colour abandoned;
  • The ruby works on my screen—your mileage may differ;
  • “A gentleman does not stint his guests”, said Oscar at his trial—better fill level;
  • Letters won’t fit underneath, and I like having letters (makes it uniquely TPF).
So the outcome of the weighted†  vote is Image

Complete list of draft favicons:
Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image

†  Weights: jdaw1 = 1,000,000,000; all others = 1.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Fairy Snuff!

Get it done then. :D

And thanks.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Single Transferable Vote

Post by jdaw1 »

(Aside to AHB: Single Transferable Vote has various undesirable features, particularly in small groups where members have known preferences. If you want to discuss start a new thread in Meaningless Drivel.)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I shall graciously decline the invitation. As of 1 minute ago, I am holiday so you shall not hear from me for a week (after a possible brief visit to the site tomorrow).

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Favicon decision

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:So the outcome of the weighted†  vote is Image
I like it, and I am happy with the weighted voting system used. It reminds me of the election of Baldrick as MP for Dunny on the Wold (Blackadder III) :lol:

Well done jdaw. Unfortunately, Lord and Lady B have gone off on their hols for a week so there is no one around to do whatever needs to be done to set this as the favicon :cry:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Thats the barrel I was thinking of.

But I'm very happy with the glass! :D

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: More barrel icons

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: Uncle Tom: if you send me a text file, 16 by 16, with letters meaning colours that you define (e.g., R = Ruby), then I can make and post your design.
Alan (and other non Technical Anoraks),

I'm only guessing here but I think the earlier quote from jdaw above means that favicons are drawings rather than photographs so the amount of detail you can have is limited to what can be represented by coloured dots in a space 16 dots wide by 16 dots high. Each dot can only be 1 colour.

I may be talking rubbish.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Derek,

You do know the term Anorak is used to show a person knows too much about a subject? Apologies if it was sarcasm, but the idea is they are so wrapped up in their subject they have no time for anything else and walk around with greasy hair, wearing a very old anorak (buttoned up to the top) and carrying a plastic shopping bag full of essential papers!

Apologies if anyone recognises themselves! :D

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

On Fri 17 Aug 2007 Derek T. wrote:Lord and Lady B have gone off on their hols for a week
A week and more has passed without sight nor sound of them.
Derek T. wrote:I'm only guessing here but I think the earlier quote from jdaw above means that favicons are drawings rather than photographs so the amount of detail you can have is limited to what can be represented by coloured dots in a space 16 dots wide by 16 dots high. Each dot can only be 1 colour.
Nearly. Neither photographs nor favicons are “drawings† in the sense that they are not scale-independent vector graphics. But most photographs, except those from NASA of really far away things, are much larger than 16à 16 pixels. So rather than shrink a photograph into an indeterminate smudge, it is usually best to start with a blank canvas and fill in the dots. All 256 of them, if necessary. (I have added a shrunk barrel to the list, though the decision is still Image .)

Complete list of draft favicons:
Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image , Image
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Issa done.

Thanks jdaw for all the effort on this and thanks to Treacle for coverting it and loading. You will need to clear your cache to get this up, then recreate the favourite, but it works in both Firefox and IE.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

No, it’s all wrong. The original graphic, Image, looks fine. But the favicon has horrible red-black dithering. Did Treacle in some way change the graphic? The dithering suggests that it has been forced to used to use a different color map, and dithered so that the original colour is approximated. Which is terrible.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

It needed to be converted to a .ico to be used. I can see what you mean, so I'll have a word with her to see if she can fix it. Don't expect it immediately, you may just have to suffer (in silence).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

In silence?

Post by jdaw1 »

You’ve now met me. You have no excuse for believing that I can suffer in silence. Really!
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

It has to be 16 by 16 pixels and that is what's caused the problem. The conversion routine also converted the colours and she has already de-dithered it.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Image is 16Ã 16 pixels, so you shouldn’t be scaling it at all. And it uses only three colours, being transparent, black,and ruby, so shouldn’t need dithering.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

16 x 16 Pixels! My,my. that's very detailed. My mobile phone only has a 5 pixel camera. (As you all found funny on Saturday. :D Fancy forgetting 'Mega' in front of the IT crowd) )
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Quiet?

Post by jdaw1 »

Whilst aware that I have been asked to be silent, it’s still horrible.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

It's there... I can see it, can't you?
However, it does take some time to appear sometimes. Wonder why.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Mine's up and running. That clearing your cache is a nuisance. The way I did it made me lose all passwords,etc, so I had to sign into all my favourites again.
Its growing on me though, Small things amuse....

700 Posts,,, and still full of Hot Air!

Alan