Encoding Issues

Make suggestions and report problems.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Encoding Issues

Post by JacobH »

Encoding is something I don’t pretend to understand, beyond knowing it’s a pain to sort out!However, for me, the encoding seems to have gone wrong since the downtime. Now anything that is non-ASCII (e.g. accents or curly quotation marks) appears as nonsense. I can’t seem to sort it out by manually adjusting the encoding in by browser, though it’s possible that it’s a problem at my end. The HTML says that the site is being served as UTF-8 so I wonder whether the web and SQL servers are doing something else?

Many thanks!

-Jacob
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Encoding Issues

Post by jdaw1 »

Same problem on my Mac and others’ PCs, so server-side. A quick attempt at google found bugs but no solution. Feel free to do better!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Maybe nicely asking Chief Admin to upgrade from 3.0.0 to 3.0.2 will fix it. Maybe.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

To me, it seems to be ok in certain posts but not in others, which suggests that what we are typing is not being properly converted to a standard encoding for when it gets displayed. For instance, the apostrophes in this thread seem to be fine, but in another thread, they are represented as ’. This would suggest that the UTF-8 apostrophe (encoded in hexadecimal as E28099) has been selected, but instead the software is displaying the three Windows-1252 characters â (E2), € (80) and â„¢ (99). I’m still not sure what the solution would be, beyond ensuring that all software used to serve the site has agreed on one encoding.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Stuff reloaded from backup is broken. New unicode is OK.