New Style

Make suggestions and report problems.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: New Style

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:I like the two alternating colors currently being used - I'll call them khaki and light khaki in case they change again. :lol:
Good names: khaki = #dfdfbf; light khaki = #e7e7cf.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I like the two alternating colors currently being used - I'll call them khaki and light khaki in case they change again. :lol:
Good names: khaki = #dfdfbf; light khaki = #e7e7cf.
I agree with Glenn. Any chance of purging the final bits of ProSilver blueness (I’m thinking particularly of the Board Index image: Image and the boarder of the text-box when replying to posts)?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

JacobH wrote:Any chance of purging the final bits of ProSilver blueness (I’m thinking particularly of the Board Index image: Image and the boarder of the text-box when replying to posts)?
Missed these two, too: Image and Image.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

I like these two colors, I find them quite readable.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:
JacobH wrote:Any chance of purging the final bits of ProSilver blueness (I’m thinking particularly of the Board Index image: Image and the boarder of the text-box when replying to posts)?
Done, I think. Please do report other inappropriate blue in this thread.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SushiNorth wrote:Regarding page width:
Most webpages do not make the entire page, left-to-right, one giant reading column. They use the left side for navigation, the right for portlets, and the reading columns are set up at about 600 pixels max. As most folks are now using tabs, too, this means the browser width is the same width for this site as it is for every other site -- aka I'm not going to change my browser width special for this site. Instead, I would recommend that a maximum width be placed on the column to spare those of us with wide screens the horrors of Carriage-Return Whiplash. Again, i am absolutely in favor of liquid width pages (where the page fills the whole screen, whatever size it might be), but not that the main text columns get out of control.

Here are a few references...
Jakob Nielsen, design guru, espousing liquid widths even as his own webpage restricts the max width of the reading column.
Web Design Layout Principles (see item 3)
Here are some other
jdaw1 wrote:OK. Comments noted. When the repairs already done are uploaded, I will attend to some of the additional complaints — beginning with the obvious but dull question, how do I set a maximum width? (And Jakob Nielsen is a real expert: his words carry great weight with me.)
I visited the forum on a wide-screen PC today instead of the diddy little laptop that I normally use and found that I was moving my head from side to side to read threads as the posts spanned the whole width of the screen. I now think I understand what SuchiNorth was getting at in the above post.

I had originally disagreed with this comment due to misundertanding it. I thought it was suggesting that the style should dictate the size of the browser window in which it was displayed. I hate that. I now realise that it meant that the column within which post text is displayed would have a sensible maximum width with sace either side if the browser window is wide.

Can we have this please? There seems to be general support for this.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:
JacobH wrote:
Done, I think. Please do report other inappropriate blue in this thread.
Thanks! The “Forum† and “Topic† on this page stand out in blue. There’s also some more under things like advanced search, User Control Panel -> Profile and the “Information† title after replying to post, but these stands out less so may be deliberate.

On a different topic, the User Control Panel has Image as a background image, which is presumably a ProSilver shadow.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1960&p=17533#p17533]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:
SushiNorth wrote:"Joined" isn't that relevant on every post, once we get to know each other, and the PM/Email option could go to the right of the user name.
Agreed on both. Please post in New Style thread.
I don't think SushiNorth posted and JDAW has not yet implemented.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote:"Joined" isn't that relevant on every post, once we get to know each other, and the PM/Email option could go to the right of the user name.
If the PM etc buttons go to the right of the username, they make the name harder to read than if it stands on a line alone. So I don’t support that.

I have zapped the joined date. Objections? I might also revert to having the rank on a line of its own, as long ranks wrap. Objections?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Currently buttons are:
• usually white, with red writing and a black border;
• except when hovering, when they become red with white writing and same black border.
Derek wishes to swap these modes, so they are usually red with white writing, and when hovering become white with red writing. Before doing this labour, are there other opinions?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Currently buttons are:
• usually white, with red writing and a black border;
• except when hovering, when they become red with white writing and same black border.
Derek wishes to swap these modes, so they are usually red with white writing, and when hovering become white with red writing. Before doing this labour, are there other opinions?
Correction. Derek only wishes these to be swaped for buttons which sit outside posts or forums. Two examples are Reply and New Topic. These are currently white buttons on a white background, which makes them hard to identify as buttons. Buttons inside posts are white buttons on a coloured background, which makes them highly visible. I think the world can survive with some white buttons and some red buttons provided the context in which they are used is consistent.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
If the PM etc buttons go to the right of the username, they make the name harder to read than if it stands on a line alone. So I don’t support that.
Agreed.
jdaw1 wrote:I have zapped the joined date. Objections?
None from me.
jdaw1 wrote:I might also revert to having the rank on a line of its own, as long ranks wrap. Objections?
I vote yes to this.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Correction. Derek only wishes these to be swaped for buttons which sit outside posts or forums. Two examples are Reply and New Topic. These are currently white buttons on a white background, which makes them hard to identify as buttons. Buttons inside posts are white buttons on a coloured background, which makes them highly visible. I think the world can survive with some white buttons and some red buttons provided the context in which they are used is consistent.
I don’t like it, so first am trying much larger buttons.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Correction. Derek only wishes these to be swaped for buttons which sit outside posts or forums. Two examples are Reply and New Topic. These are currently white buttons on a white background, which makes them hard to identify as buttons. Buttons inside posts are white buttons on a coloured background, which makes them highly visible. I think the world can survive with some white buttons and some red buttons provided the context in which they are used is consistent.
I don’t like it, so first am trying much larger buttons.
I remain confused as to your reluctance to change the Reply and New Topic buttons. My initial argument was that these looked out of place alongside the then adjacent Search button which was in the default grey style. That problem has gone away now that the search function has been removed. But we still have a white Reply button at the foot of each thread with three grey "Go" buttons in the same area. This is far les consistent than simply reversing the default/hover versions of the standard TPFR button style for the two buttons I have mentioned previously.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:I ...first am trying much larger buttons.
These are certainly much larger. But nothing I have said previously has changed.

A stylistic compromise: could the buttons outside posts and forums (including the "Go" buttons) have a light Khaki background instead of white?

Incidentally, on the page I am looking at whilst typing this post there are 16 grey buttons visible.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:A stylistic compromise: could the buttons outside posts and forums (including the "Go" buttons) have a light Khaki background instead of white?
Reply and New Topic done. OK?

Slightly tricksy to colour just the Go buttons. Easier to do all buttons of that format, or none.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:A stylistic compromise: could the buttons outside posts and forums (including the "Go" buttons) have a light Khaki background instead of white?
Reply and New Topic done. OK?

Slightly tricksy to colour just the Go buttons. Easier to do all buttons of that format, or none.
If easier then please do all the grey ones in Khaki. I like the new Reply and New Topic buttons :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Perhaps you should also do the 1...2 3 4 5 6 page buttons? Presumably it is just one image with a dynamic number?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote: I like the new Reply and New Topic buttons :D
But would it be pushing my luck to ask to have them larger?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:But would it be pushing my luck to ask to have them larger?
Maybe tomorrow.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Regarding max-width
I think we agreed to do this once things were a little more stable (and they're getting close now).
Let me know when you want me to take a crack at inserting the code, and point me at which CSS we're making changes in, and I'll send back changes for it :)
It might take me a few tries to get it right, which is what worries me. I'll test but we'll need to really check into it to be sure it works properly on the different page types.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth: ready when you are.

Also fixed: zapped text peeking out from behind the locked icon that top-and-tails locked threads.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SushiNorth wrote:Regarding max-width
I think we agreed to do this once things were a little more stable (and they're getting close now).
Let me know when you want me to take a crack at inserting the code, and point me at which CSS we're making changes in, and I'll send back changes for it :)
It might take me a few tries to get it right, which is what worries me. I'll test but we'll need to really check into it to be sure it works properly on the different page types.
Can I suggest an easy solution to this. You are in NY. JDAW is in NY. Bottles of Port are in NY. JDAW has the ability to upload the CSS to :tpf: in seconds following the think>>edit>>promote>>view>>gulp>>re-edit>>re-view>>feel smug>>gloat development lifecycle. You, JDAW, a laptop, an internet connection and a bottle of port will have this sorted in no time :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth: ready when you are.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Should we have a coloured background in the site header?

PS: This is not a question for JDAW
Ernest H. Cockburn