New Style

Make suggestions and report problems.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: New Style

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Nearly there I think.
1. Please make a list of what lies betwixt here and there.

2. A possible idea: if the number of PMs is >0, should that message count at the top of the page blink or otherwise be very prominent. Yes, blink is very distracting to the eye, but the blink is easily switched off—read the message—and it would help with the problem that newbies sometimes don’t seem to notice PMs at all. Thoughts? I want it for me.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Nearly there I think.
1. Please make a list of what lies betwixt here and there.
I can only list what is relevant to me. And even then only what is relevant to me now. My current list is as follows:
  1. Backgrounds should be 2 slightly different shades of the same colour. Preferrably a boring and non-garish colour.
  2. Buttons outside posts should be the default grey style. See "Reply" and the search box and button next to it above each thread. The Reply button is a different style, is out of line and occassionally has text leaking from underneath it. Removing the search box and button would not be a good solution as some people may use it. Consistency in style, colour and alignment would be very good.
  3. Re-instatement of the forum links at the top of threads.
  4. Can't think of any more right now.
jdaw1 wrote:2. A possible idea: if the number of PMs is >0, should that message count at the top of the page blink or otherwise be very prominent. Yes, blink is very distracting to the eye, but the blink is easily switched off—read the message—and it would help with the problem that newbies sometimes don’t seem to notice PMs at all. Thoughts? I want it for me.
Works for me. But seems to go against the no animation rule.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

There are two search boxes on this page. Users, speak up: do you use and need both?

I’d like to kill the search boxes floating around in the middle of the page, after which the Reply button (from which peeking text should have disappeared) then can stay in the same style as the ‘Quote’ button.

DRT: what do you think of the pale yellow and even paler mauve currently used as backgrounds?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: DRT: what do you think of the pale yellow and even paler mauve currently used as backgrounds?
All variants of the two-light-colour-colour-scheme remind me of Neopolitan ice cream. Can we please try same colour, slightly different shades?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Can we please try same colour, slightly different shades?
Same colour, different shades, to be visibly different, requires that one of the shades be moderately dark. That reduces the text-on-background contrast too much for my taste. No.

Greys are used for administrative things in messages, so are out.

That leaves different faint pastel colours. Choose two of: faint red aka pink; faint blue; faint green; faint green-blue = cyan; faint red-green = yellow; red-blue = purple or pink. Choose!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Same colour, different shades, to be visibly different, requires that one of the shades be moderately dark. That reduces the text-on-background contrast too much for my taste. No.

Greys are used for administrative things in messages, so are out.
Contrasting pastel shades look naff. Seriously, they do. Completely and uttelry naff, gawdy and Neopolitan-ice-cream-ish. If we can't have very light grey and very very light grey (or very light anything and very very light anything that is the same as the first anything) then I vote for white with borders around posts.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

On several bulletin boards I have found the alternation of backgrounds helps keep track of post boundaries.

New plan. You suggest two #RRGGBB colours, and I’ll try them now. Currently we have, and I quite like, #ffffcc and #e6e6ff. Suggest replacements.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

#FFFFCC & #FFFF99
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Howzat? (IMHO, awful. The new yellow is too yellow.)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Howzat? (IMHO, awful. The new yellow is too yellow.)
But the colours I chose were both yellow and what I am looking at is yellow and mauve.

To see an example of what I am proposing look here... http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 55&start=0

I would suggest that the guys at http://www.phpBB.com perhaps know a thing or two about designing a forum. Apart from the header and pink banner, which are rubbish.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

OK - the bannana yellow has now kicked in. I agree, it's awful.

Next choice: Keep the light yellow and make the bright yellow lighter than the light yellow.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:You suggest two #RRGGBB colours, and I’ll try them now.
Suggest two #RRGGBB colours please, not vague specifications. In other words, did you mean #ffffe5?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Using #e1ebf2 (pale blue) and #ecf3f7.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:You suggest two #RRGGBB colours, and I’ll try them now.
Suggest two #RRGGBB colours please, not vague specifications. In other words, did you mean #ffffe5?
Perhaps I did.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:In other words, did you mean #ffffe5?
Perhaps I did.
If you did, it would have been jolly foolish, because it is functionally indistinguishable from white.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:In other words, did you mean #ffffe5?
Perhaps I did.
If you did, it would have been jolly foolish, because it is functionally indistinguishable from white.
But would have been better than this bannana yellow I am looking at now. Go on, bite the bullet. Go for very light grey and very very light grey and ask others what they think.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The light yellow and very light yellow is better but now I don't think yellow is the answer. Go back to that mauve you had earlier and pick an other shade of mauve. That might do it.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Same requirement: choose #RRGGBBs and I’ll play.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Same requirement: choose #RRGGBBs and I’ll play.
It's bed time. Will ick some more colours tomorrow.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I’ve set them to #ffffcc and #eeffff which suffice pro tem.

I have also considerably shortened the vertical space occupied by the user information in the right column. Comment please.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:I can only list what is relevant to me. And even then only what is relevant to me now. My current list is as follows:
  1. Backgrounds should be 2 slightly different shades of the same colour. Preferrably a boring and non-garish colour.
  2. Buttons outside posts should be the default grey style. See "Reply" and the search box and button next to it above each thread. The Reply button is a different style, is out of line and occassionally has text leaking from underneath it. Removing the search box and button would not be a good solution as some people may use it. Consistency in style, colour and alignment would be very good.
  3. Re-instatement of the forum links at the top of threads.
  4. Can't think of any more right now.
  1. Backgrounds being negotiated. Awaiting next version from DRT, or a concession that it ain’t so bad.
  2. Buttons awaiting comment on search box.
  3. Forum links reinstated, but in navigation area that contains page numbers. Can be moved again if really wanted.
  4. Unfixable.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Regarding moving the breadcrumb trail, the board index link, etc...

I'd make a few suggestions, now that i've been using this design for a while...
1) Move the breadcrumb trail back so that it is proximity to the title (as the two are contextual to each other)
2) Consider buttons, or larger controls, instead of text for the other functions, but avoid stacking them one above the other
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote:Regarding moving the breadcrumb trail, the board index link, etc...

I'd make a few suggestions, now that i've been using this design for a while...
1) Move the breadcrumb trail back so that it is proximity to the title (as the two are contextual to each other)
2) Consider buttons, or larger controls, instead of text for the other functions, but avoid stacking them one above the other
I think I agree about the breadcrumbs. But please explain 2 a bit more: which functions?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:I think I agree about the breadcrumbs. But please explain 2 a bit more: which functions?
Advanced Search, User Control Panel, pending new messages, view your posts, FAQ, Members, Logout
Somehow I recall them being on the left in an earlier version (thus also piled up next to the thumbnails), but in particular having all those links near to each other, and in text, means that commands are often no more than 15 pixels high, and in very close proximity to more commands. It can be tough to quickly click the right one, and if I were a glass or two of port in, I'd never get it right. If we spread them out along a single line, or made them buttons (with small text, but bigger visual borders) it would probably improve that corner's clutter.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Can we try these, please?

┓ˆâ”“ˆâ”“ˆ #e9e9c7 ┓ˆâ”“ˆâ”“ˆ
┓ˆâ”“ˆâ”“ˆ #e9e9b5 ┓ˆâ”“ˆâ”“ˆ
Ernest H. Cockburn