New Style

Make suggestions and report problems.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Re: New Style

Post by Overtired and emotional »

Julian

The current colour scheme is much easier on my defective eyes. (The colour chart hurt!)
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by morteno »

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned or you are only testing, but I must say that the current color scheme, icons and what have you creates the most frustrating layout I've ever seen on a forum. It must be coded in some way so that you're only able to really understand it after a few glasses of Port :D

Go Silver! :wink:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Please be more specific. Wat is wrong? How can it be better? (We’ve had comments both good and bad: specific comments would better guide improvements.)
morteno

Post by morteno »

I think the most important issue for me is that it's almost impossible to differentiate between read and unread threads as the colour scheme used is the same. To me the new layout is just a bunch of words with no real structure to it. If you try the silver layout for a day and then switch back you should be able to see what I mean. We need colours, not just one colour for everything I my opinion. But hey, go ahead and make it as you like, I'll just use the silver layout instead and that's perfectly fine with me :)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

morteno wrote:I think the most important issue for me is that it's almost impossible to differentiate between read and unread threads as the colour scheme used is the same.
1. Are you using the phpbb3/ URL (which ought to be disabled)?

2. Assuming not, the forum and thread and PM icons are as follows. Top row = unread; bottom row = read. They look different to me. What more do you want?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
morteno

Post by morteno »

Actually, I think you're right about the colours for read and unread threads. They don't cause trouble. I stand corrected. It's not so much the overview itself that I'm against, only slightly, no it's the thread layout. Centered quotes, colours too much alike, too little space between posts, the colours, and a lot of other more or less logic reasons for not liking it. But the layout looks different now that when I wrote my first post, or I may be getting used to it (most likely). It's not that bad anymore, but I still prefer the silver layout by far :wink:. Just ignore me.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

You can, of course, change to the Silver style when you are logged on by going to User Control Panel->Board Preferences->My Board Style.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Also made a small change to the thread icons: read announcements and read stickies now have their ‘writing’ in red rather than tawny.
The old tawny was wrong, but so was the new red. Changed again: all colour washed out of ‘read’ icons: replaced with a grey, darker than that used for non-prioritised threads. ‘Writing’ in unread prioritised threads replaced with black.
PMs Image; Fora Image Image Image; Threads Image Image Image Image Image Image; Stickies Image Image Image Image; Announce’s Image Image Image Image; Scraps Image Image
PMs Image; Fora Image Image Image; Threads Image Image Image Image Image Image; Stickies Image Image Image Image; Announce’s Image Image Image Image; Scraps Image Image
morteno wrote:I'm against … Centered quotes
When both the citation and the quotation are left-aligned, I find the eye confuses them. I’ve centered the citation, but the quotation is boringly left-aligned as before. Do you really object?
morteno wrote:I'm against … colours too much alike
I have the best possible defence against this: blame somebody else. DRT wanted the two background colours to be slightly different shades of the same hue. Please argue with him.
morteno wrote:I'm against … too little space between posts
Disagree. I like a page to have lots of info, requiring scrolling only rarely, so my hand, rather than holding the mouse, can hold a glass. If you prefer the mouse to the glass, well, I doubt that is a majority opinion.
morteno wrote:I'm against … the colours, and a lot of other more or less logic reasons for not liking it.
It’s hard to fix this as described.
morteno

Post by morteno »

I think this is a matter of taste and as long as we have different layouts to select, then I'm not objecting to anything. I prefer that you have the layout you like and have worked hard for and that I've got this default layout which I like.

Hi ho Silver! :roll:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I prefer that, as far as possible, :tpf: has a single consistent brand. Hence if ThePortForumRed can be made to work for you, that would be better.
morteno

Post by morteno »

I don't believe in one size fits all. Forget about me! Cheers.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The above exchange is precisely why I insisted on having two styles. Some people will not like TPFR. No-one should be forced to use something they don't like when the point of being here is to have fun and talk about port and rubbish.

I was right, jdaw was wrong, na-na na-na-na :P
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I've also changed back to the silver lay out after trying the red for a while. My major problem with the red is that it doesn't look like a page with a proper lay out. It probably suits you if you like looking at html codes, but I prefer something that's easy to navigate, has a pretty look, including clear graphics.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Changes:
• The header typeface specification repaired, such that browsers other than Firefox now will (or at least, are more likely to) render “ThePortForum.com† in Palatino. Reports of success or failure welcomed.
• Body text now should be in your browsers default typeface — which is controlled by the user.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PM icons made language-independent.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:• The header typeface specification repaired, such that browsers other than Firefox now will (or at least, are more likely to) render “ThePortForum.com† in Palatino. Reports of success or failure welcomed.
Header now in Palatino on my IE6 browser.
jdaw1 wrote:• Body text now should be in your browsers default typeface — which is controlled by the user.
The text on the Board and forum index pages and also in the user area of posts is now very small. Too small for my failing eyes. I tried changing the text size from Medium to Very Large in my browser with no effect whatsoever. Can we go back to something more that is not going to cause eye strain, please? My only alternative will be TPFsilver.
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Too small for my failing eyes
Agreed - maybe it's my monitor, but the new serifed font does not show terribly well, especially when it's the pale brown 'post read' colour

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

OK. Will revert.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Reverted to “font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;†.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Reverted to “font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;†.
I've still got serifs - nothing seems to have changed..??

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Mine has changed (IE6) but I think Tom runs in AOL, which might explain things.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:I've still got serifs - nothing seems to have changed..??
A firm-handed reload should do it. (Some browsers don’t reload the styling even when asked.)
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I exited IE and came back in - now sorted - and much better!

Thanks

Tom
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Has anyone other than me tried looking at the new style on a BlackBerry? The layout on the BB screen is quite difficult to follow.

Does anyone know if there is separate coding needed for the appearance of the site on a BB or is this something that is just easiest for me to put up with an get on with it?

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Ooooh, good question. Please compare silver and red, and then post what problems they have in common, and in what they differ.