Information about Quintas and Port Producers

Make suggestions and report problems.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Information about Quintas and Port Producers

Post by DRT »

I have created a couple of threads in the Port Discussions area with pictures and information about Quinta do Passadouro and Quinta de la Rosa and have added links to these to the Information About Port Sticky. I intend creating a few more of these in the coming days or weeks so that we have the beginnings of a reference of the Quintas, Lodges and Port Producers visited by members of TPF.

If you want to add information or spark discussions in each of the threads please feel free to do so. If you have pictures or information about other Quintas please create a thread in a similar style and send me a PM so that I can add it to the index in the Sticky.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Very good idea! I'm sure I have a good dose of pictures and information lying around, and will add them in due time. Once our sea freight has arrived I will also be able to make scans of the hardcopy pictures that I have made in the past.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

I am not sure if it is still there, but on my only visit to date, my (now) wife and I had drinks at the Port Wine Institute on the Porto side of the river. All very civilised - a plate of chese and a port tasting. I do recall being surprised to be offered 2000 at the time - it was 2002.

Lovely views back down across the river too.

Does anyone know if this place is still there?
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Yes it is. It's called the 'Solar do Vinho do Porto' and it's situated next to the Parque de Cristal. Indeed a fine place to sit on the terrace, have some cheese and enjoy a glass of port. They usually have a good selection of older tawnies offered by the glass.

I remember the first time I was there. LadyR, StevieCage and I had been on holiday to the Douro and Porto and wanted to end in in style. We ordered a bottle of Cockburn 1983 and some cheese. The port was magnificent, and the sunset over the Douro river was beautiful. :)
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Thank you.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!